Bloom Capital Project - Rochester

Thorondor
City Center

Re: Bloom Capital Project - Rochester

Postby Thorondor » January 19th, 2018, 2:23 pm

The AE7 website now has 3 new renderings for the development!
http://ae7.com/project/bloom-rochester-development/

And here is the Med City Beat article:
https://www.themedcitybeat.com/news-blo ... evelopment
The nearly 1 million square-foot complex would consist of a 180-room hotel, 130 condominiums, 215 units of senior housing, 30,000 square feet for food and beverage establishments and 7,000 square feet of retail.

According to the plan submitted with the city, sustainable elements would be implemented, such as a "green roof to the parking structure that transforms into a public raised park." The project would also include water features, a public roof terrace with a playground, and ice skating rink.
Looks like it will activate the street level very well! Pretty similar to the previous designs with a lot of glass on both towers. Quite pleased overall, although I would prefer more glass and less concrete on the shorter tower. Couldn't post the images since they are too large.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 19th, 2018, 4:09 pm

Wow, looks great. I personally am really happy they left the street level gap on 3rd between the two tower sections. That should draw more people toward the water and paths.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » January 24th, 2018, 11:06 pm

The development plans have been uploaded to the city website.

It looks like the shorter tower will be 21 stories with an additional mechanical floor for a total of 22 stories. The overall height will be 272 feet tall. The taller tower will be 28 stories and reach a height of 360 feet. For comparison, the Broadway Plaza is 29 stories tall and reaches a height of 342 feet tall.

http://www.rochestermn.gov/home/showdocument?id=17623

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 10th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Developer will meet with the downtown neighborhood association on Tuesday night at 6, and then this goes to the Planning and Zoning Commission on Wednesday at 6!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 14th, 2018, 9:50 am

Last night's meeting with the neighborhood association went well. Lot of input and questions. Project looks great! Talked to the developer after and asked about a timeline. If approved this spring according to plans, would break ground on the south tower later this year. Once the parking podium was complete on the south tower, they would open that up for use and immediately tear down the existing city ramp and start construction on phase 2, which is the north tower. This is due to the city having contract parking which they need to fulfill, and will be shifted from the existing ramp to the south tower ramp once complete. After that, they will continue on the south tower while the parking ramp is open.

This goes to the Zoning and Planning Commission tonight at 6.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 14th, 2018, 9:52 am

Also, the north tower will be a 4 or 5 star hotel with condos on top. This tower will be the new tallest building in Rochester. One interesting tidbit. The top floor penthouse will be owned by the Royal Family of the UAE.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » February 14th, 2018, 10:02 am

Thanks for the updates! That city ramp is so gross. Great project for the slowly urbanizing city!

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 14th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Can't wait for this! I'm gonna love hearing my family "discuss" how their sleepy town is finally growing up
Urbanist in the north woods

Thorondor
City Center

Postby Thorondor » February 14th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the detailed info! Glad to hear they will be building the second phase soon as well instead of waiting a few years. I've wanted that parking ramp demolished for a long time, so I appreciate that being a priority. Now I'm just hoping the Michael's site redevelopment will also happen soon and in one go.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 14th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Project was approved by the planning and zoning commission with a recommendation for the City Council to allow the development to use the alley access for for phase one to enter the parking ramp to eliminate the need for the bigger curb cut. Hopefully this is approved, as the developer has stated they would prefer this.

Thorondor, to your question regarding the Michael's site. My understanding is that phase 1 would be that entire portion of the block, meaning the Michael's restaurant as well as the parking structure on that side. This would likely mean the entire parking structure would have to come down. Later phase would be across the street next to the Day's Inn.

Nathaniel 24
Block E

Postby Nathaniel 24 » March 1st, 2018, 8:03 pm

When the 2nd St. Ramp is torn down, will the skyway level access go away also? I live in the Fontaine Towers and there are several residents here who are in wheelchairs and scooters and rely on the elevator to get to the rest of the downtown area, especially during the winter. I use it to get there also. A lot of us are including our building managers are wondering. But, sadly for us, more than likely it will be blocked off when the Ramp is demolished. If anything, does anyone have an estimated time until the new building’s skyway level will be accessible to us?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 1st, 2018, 8:55 pm

When the 2nd St. Ramp is torn down, will the skyway level access go away also? I live in the Fontaine Towers and there are several residents here who are in wheelchairs and scooters and rely on the elevator to get to the rest of the downtown area, especially during the winter. I use it to get there also. A lot of us are including our building managers are wondering. But, sadly for us, more than likely it will be blocked off when the Ramp is demolished. If anything, does anyone have an estimated time until the new building’s skyway level will be accessible to us?
This was actually one of our big discussions during our Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. Sounds like there will have to be stairs leading down to street level before the skyway hits the Bloom site, but I don't think there is any way that the skyway could be open thru the site, as that would be a construction and insurance nightmare. I would guess it will be closed thru the site at least 6 months while they demo the site, and start building the ramp. I would guess once they get to the 3rd floor or so of the new building, they could temporarily open that up. The developer knows this is a concern, and will be working with the city to limit the inconvenience of those who depend on that skyway

Nathaniel 24
Block E

Postby Nathaniel 24 » March 2nd, 2018, 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for the information. I’ll pass it on to my fellow tenants and building management, keep up to date here and pass on any further information I receive.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 3rd, 2018, 12:10 am

Just to clarify, that is my opinion as to what will ultimately happen based on the information provided at the public meeting. I have no experience in the insurance or development world, but in my opinion, I think it would be hard keep that skyway open during construction through the site.

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » March 7th, 2018, 10:21 am

Bloom is expected to ask for $20 million in TIF assistance.

https://www.medcitybeat.com/news-blog/2 ... evelopment

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 7th, 2018, 10:39 am

My gut says let them have it for the sake of the downtown core, and in view of the huge investment they're making. Still, obviously you'd rather see at least less than 20m.

Thorondor
City Center

Postby Thorondor » March 7th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I was also hoping for less than $20m, but it probably is worth it. This will be a massive improvement to the public space along the riverfront, and should serve to draw many more people to the area. Compared to the Alatus Development, this TIF is actually a lower percentage of the total development cost.

alatusllc
Block E

Postby alatusllc » March 7th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I was also hoping for less than $20m, but it probably is worth it. This will be a massive improvement to the public space along the riverfront, and should serve to draw many more people to the area. Compared to the Alatus Development, this TIF is actually a lower percentage of the total development cost.
Alatus = $10,500,000 / $125,000,000 = 8.4% (Closed); $20,000,000 / $180,000,000 = 11.1% (without firm construction pricing).

Thorondor
City Center

Postby Thorondor » March 7th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Alatus = $10,500,000 / $125,000,000 = 8.4% (Closed); $20,000,000 / $180,000,000 = 11.1% (without firm construction pricing).
My mistake. Was just using the information in the medcitybeat article. Probably still worth it since the Bloom development offers significantly more to the public.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 7th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Article states the Bloom Project will be about $250M total. But aside from that, this project will have a lot more public space than most projects have.