Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Postby mamundsen » May 17th, 2017, 11:23 am

Rosedale restaurant news:
- Green Mill moved from inside the mall to next to Granite City. They opened the new location on May 2. I hope they survive the cursed location.
- CRAVE is opening at Rosedale. They mention that Von Maur was part of the decision.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -menu.html [locked]

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » May 23rd, 2017, 7:30 am

They finally got Green Mill to move? I remember they were pressuring them to relocate to the then new wing while it was being built.
Urbanist in the north woods

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » December 14th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Rosedale is adding a two-story eatery concept called "Craveable Market", which will feature 14 various food offerings.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... atery.html

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » December 14th, 2017, 4:03 pm

parking issues are going to pose a huge obstacle for attracting customers

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2018, 10:11 am

Roseville losing Herbergers anchor:
http://www.startribune.com/herberger-s- ... 478985953/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2018, 10:24 am

That's going to sting.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 6th, 2018, 11:49 am

And two of the remaining anchors are Macy's and J.C. Penney. Maybe this wasn't a good time for an expansion.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » April 6th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Strange they'd close Rosedale but not University Ave... must be some lease language somewhere.
Urbanist in the north woods

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 6th, 2018, 3:13 pm

The STrib article earlier said it was updated to reflect that the stores are only being talked about closing, that note is now gone from the bottom of the story - but it's headline reflects that update: Herberger's might close 3 stores in Twin Cities.

But the Business Journal article still says they're closing...
Bon-Ton says it will close three Minnesota Herberger's and the Duluth Younkers store
I'm guessing they both picked up on the newswire release this morning (both were around 10am). It'll be interesting to see what actually happens.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 6th, 2018, 4:28 pm

And two of the remaining anchors are Macy's and J.C. Penney. Maybe this wasn't a good time for an expansion.
Me, a little over a year ago, in the "Suburban Malls" thread:
The more I think about it, Rosedale adding another anchor space for Von Maur seems like really short-term thinking. I give it less than 5 years before one of the other 3 anchors starts closing a number of stores in the metro. The expansion will look kinda silly ~5 years from now when either Macy's or JCPenney is sitting vacant. The department store and big-box closures are coming. And despite the relative strength and success of Rosedale, having all four anchors as old-fashioned, clothing-centric department stores doesn't seem like a great long-term strategy. Von Maur will take dollars away from the others, probably Macy's the most. With the Rosedale area already surrounded by big and medium box strip malls, every possible "replacement anchor" already has a store very close by (Dick's, Gordman's, Kohls, etc.) I can't imagine what would fill the inevitable anchor vacancy. Adding a 4th tenant now just seems like a poor long-term strategy when the mall owner probably could've waited a few years and negotiated an exit with one of the other 3 anchors.
The only part I got wrong was how soon it would happen, and which anchor would go first. My perception has been that Herbergers seems (slightly) better run than JCP or Macys, and that because they had fewer locations maybe had less debt issues than the bigger chains. I didn't think Herbergers would be first to go. I always thought it was stupid that Bon-Ton didn't consolidate their seven(!!) regional store brands into a single store name for simplifying & streamlining their branding/advertising nationally.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 6th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Strange they'd close Rosedale but not University Ave... must be some lease language somewhere.
It was just last September that they sold the Rosedale store with an agreement to lease it back for 20 years, but who knows what sort of an early escape might have been written in.
http://www.startribune.com/bon-ton-shed ... 444756933/

The Midway store they still own (as well as a great deal of parking) although it has also been listed for sale:
http://images4.loopnet.com/d2/rhyWjqkFB ... cument.pdf

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » April 8th, 2018, 9:02 am

Seems short-sighted to remodel a store, and then close it a year later.

It would lend me to believe this closure has nothing to do with the profitability or strength of Rosedale.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 8th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Not development related, but a sign of how malls are stepping outside of their molds to draw people in.
http://www.startribune.com/rosedale-s-w ... 9032903/#1

We've done this a couple of Sunday mornings, and it is an awful lot of fun for both dogs and their people.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » April 9th, 2018, 8:37 am

If the Herberger's does close, I wonder if Lifetime Fitness would open up a location there, the way they are doing at Southdale -- though not having a mall entrance is a big blunder.

I used to live just a few miles away from Rosedale, and the nearest Lifetime locations are White Bear Lake, Minneapolis, or Woodbury. (The tiny women's only Lifetime in the strip mall across from Rosedale doesn't count, IMO.)

tdtmpls
Block E

Postby tdtmpls » March 10th, 2019, 1:19 pm

We've found some details on the redevelopment of the former Herberger's space at Rosedale. JLL is currently marketing "The Village", a new mixed-use project that would be built in place of the Herberger's space along with existing mall space and parking space. The project would include the following:

• 425 luxury residential units
• Full service boutique hotel
• 200,000 new retail, entertainment and dining
• Grocery and services
• Co-working space with the latest technology advantages
• Outdoor gathering space to host year-round events and entertainment

You can view the marketing brochure by clicking the link below.
https://jll.propertycapsule.com/propert ... 552242386/

Looks like the mall has also landed a few new retailers. H&M will be taking over the space currently occupied by GAP along with the adjacent space that formerly was home to an escalator. Abercrombie and Fitch recently closed and their space will now become an American Eagle Outfitters which will move from an existing space within the mall. Urban Outfitters also will be opening a location within the mall once American Eagle Outfitters vacates their current space.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 10th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Here's a screen grab of the proposal.
ImageIMG_0066 by Eric Anondson, on Flickr
I'm impressed. When JCP goes, I could see a similar redesign for that quarter. What I like is how they are bringing almost a grid-like pedestrian street right through the block.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 10th, 2019, 2:28 pm

How realistic is this? Hope and a dream or will the residential get built and the brochure is to fill out the retail?

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » March 10th, 2019, 5:00 pm

its interesting that the planning commission meeting for last wednesday was cancelled. trying to find more info about this i noticed that there's gonna be a chick fil a at harmar. i think that this is an extremely realistic vision, roseville and rosedale have been on the same page for a while, ill try to stop by the planning commssion office to see if they have any info sometime soon.

ko123
City Center

Postby ko123 » March 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

I feel like AMC will push back on this pretty hard

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 10th, 2019, 6:46 pm

I was going to say, what is the plan for AMC parking? Basically that whole parking lot is eliminated. Of course, that lot was always really poorly circulated, but seems like they'd need a new ramp or something.