800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Postby Silophant » December 5th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Mod note: Jump ahead for completely different 2021 proposal for income-restricted condos: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&start=60

A woman from CPED is giving an update to the DMNA. A new RFP will be coming out in the first quarter of 2018. There was a public meeting a few weeks ago for the city to get feedback on what the neighborhood wants, and the answer was, unsurprisingly, condos. (And an Apple store, apparently). It sounds like the city will be ignoring that and not making the RFP as oddly specific as the 205 Park RFP, though, which specifically required a breakfast cafe and police substation. This will just require active uses on both corners.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: 800 Washington Ave S (Guthrie Ramp liner parcel)

Postby Tyler » April 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Towns!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 10th, 2018, 8:20 am

The city got 4 bids for this parcel. Sherman, AECOM, 45 North Group, and Oppidan. I wasn't able to pull up the whole article from F & C, but hopefully the city will present the bids soon.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 10th, 2018, 9:19 am

There's apparently a presentation scheduled for the August DMNA Land Use Committee meeting. It was supposed to be tonight, but they moved it back a month because they're not done reviewing the proposals yet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: 800 Washington Ave S (Guthrie Ramp liner development: Reloaded)

Postby twincitizen » July 10th, 2018, 10:47 am

Sherman's proposal is 10 stories, 112 units (including 20% affordable), 16k sf office space, as well as the Pinstripes (very similar to their last proposal). It looks just like the previous proposal too, although that one was hotel.

The AECOM proposal is probably the best looking. 8 stories of for-sale condos (and ground floor retail) with a very unique facade. Can't say I've seen anything like it here. The unit count (76) isn't that much lower than Sherman. Not so much that I'd pick Sherman purely based on residential density alone. Also includes 18k sf office (slightly more than Sherman).

The other two proposals are just office+retail, no residential component, and are quoted as being 5 stories and 6-8 stories. All four proposals include office space that could be leased by American Academy of Neurology (which is located next door and needs more space). At first blush, I'm leaning AECOM. If you can bring in a major international developer than hasn't done anything in MN in the current development cycle, DO IT. Sherman has enough on their plate right now anyways. Do they really need to be undertaking a 3rd or 4th project in a 2 block radius of here?

EDIT: Looking at this again. The AECOM proposal is really striking. And I have to imagine the total development cost would wind up similar to Sherman, despite being 2 stories shorter. This might come down to what each developer has offered to pay for the property.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 10th, 2018, 11:26 am

Not that it'll necessarily be a deciding factor, but the DMNA will be extremely in the tank for the condo proposal. And, based just on reading your post, I think I agree. I'd like to see a bowling alley downtown, but I'm still holding out hope that Dayton's can land one (probably Pinstripes) for their basement like they showed in that one concept image.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 10th, 2018, 11:31 am

Do any of the proposals take advantage of the option to split the parcel that the city included?

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 10th, 2018, 11:31 am

Sherman's proposal is 10 stories, has the most units (including 20% affordable), as well as the Pinstripes (very similar to their last proposal).

The AECOM proposal is probably the best looking. 8 stories of for-sale condos (and ground floor retail) with a very unique facade. Can't say I've seen anything like it here. The unit count isn't too much lower than Sherman's. Not so much that I'd pick Sherman purely based on density.

The other two are just office+retail, no residential component. All four proposals include office space that could be leased by American Academy of Neurology (which is located next door and needs more space). At first blush, I'm leaning AECOM. If you can bring in a major international developer than hasn't done anything in MN in the current development cycle, DO IT. Sherman has enough on their plate right now anyways. Do they really need to be undertaking a 3rd or 4th project in a 2 block radius of here?
For sale condos? Definitely AECOM

downtowndweller
City Center

Postby downtowndweller » July 10th, 2018, 3:54 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -four.html

Includes images of all proposals except for AECOM.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 10th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 10th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Oh. Wow. That is stunning. Aecom ftw.

Sherman is ok, more of the same, but nice.

45 north has some cool concepts but seems to underutilize the space.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 10th, 2018, 5:11 pm

I like Sherman’s proposal. I like that it has a mix of several different uses. The bowling alley will definitely keep the area busy after the 5 o’clock office tenants leave. I also think there is a nice mix of materials in there rendering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » July 11th, 2018, 8:36 am

I'm only able to see the Sherman and AECOM (D/O) projects, but I'm already in the AECOM camp here. Something like this is needed to set the bar higher for residential projects in Minneapolis. I hope it's selected and successful.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 11th, 2018, 10:08 am

Am I the only one skeptical that they'll be able to keep the trees in the cantilever and on the roof alive?

I can't tell what going on at the street level with the AECOM proposal, but I'd take an active street front over superior style any day.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 11th, 2018, 10:19 am

Am I the only one skeptical that they'll be able to keep the trees in the cantilever and on the roof alive?

I can't tell what going on at the street level with the AECOM proposal, but I'd take an active street front over superior style any day.
Same feelings here with regards to taking an active Street front. I still like the Sherman proposal because it seems to have an active Street front, but this one may have one as well it’s just not very visible in the pictures. I do like the trees in the middle of the building. If they can keep them alive they will definitely make the building stand out as far as Minneapolis buildings are concerned. I read more of the thing posted on Facebook, and I definitely do like the idea of the organic garden and restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 11th, 2018, 10:40 am

You are definitely not alone. Saw those in the rendering and just thought, "LOL, those will die during the first winter and they'll just replace them with crappy shrubs or nothing at all."

If they can make it work, cool. I really do like the AECOM proposal. But I think Sherman's would be fine too.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 11th, 2018, 10:58 am

AECOM's proposal is very innovative and creates a unique architectural design for Washington Ave. Plus having a residential project that's home ownership creates more diversity in the housing stock in a downtown that's so heavily rental. Kind of hate to say it, but Washington Ave ( and downtown for that matter) could use a different style / approach than just the architects ESG. They do a good job , but they're huge dominance in designing new projects in this area risks making the neighborhood look a bit on the sterile side.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 11th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Sherman:

AECOM:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5BE7F35B (sorry, too large to display)

To be clear, the Sherman proposal is very good. AECOM is just more exciting/different (and likely quite preliminary, subject to change, etc.) And I completely agree about the trees. There's no way this building will ever support trees anywhere near the size shown in renderings.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Sherman:

AECOM:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5BE7F35B (sorry, too large to display)

To be clear, the Sherman proposal is very good. AECOM is just more exciting/different (and likely quite preliminary, subject to change, etc.) And I completely agree about the trees. There's no way this building will ever support trees anywhere near the size shown in renderings.
I'd take either of these two with no complaints. Both are nice

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » July 11th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Not that it's a make or break factor, but I'm puzzled at the comments saying the trees on the AECOM project won't survive. LPM and Nic on 5th are both supporting 2+ story trees on their roof decks. As long as the right cultivars are selected and proper measures are taken to enable their success, I don't see why it wouldn't work here as well.