Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2018, 8:31 am

What's strange is that parking is supposedly much harder in the North Loop yet...
1. I know many people who work in the NL and park on the street during the work day (something which would never happen downtown).
2. There are still areas without meters in the NL!

It sounds like the lack of convenience is because of improper parking policy and pricing, not lack of parking.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 27th, 2018, 9:29 am

I've lived in the North Loop for 10 years now. Parking has become significantly harder to find in that time. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... I'm happy with everything that has driven it, but to not expect people to complain when a convenience has gone from easy to hard is naive.
Agreed. I've been down here for 18 years and I remember back when it was a sea of surface lots. I love that everything is being filled in but with more workers/residents/visitors coming into the NL and the number of parking spaces available decreasing significantly I'm not surprised at people commenting on the lack of parking. Increasing meter rates to discourage workers from camping out in spots for 8 hours would be great as would enhancing public transportation in this area.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 27th, 2018, 9:51 am

I think that for a number of people, a lack of surface parking lots = no parking, even if there is plenty of street parking available. It's a perception issue. Maybe it's not factually correct, but that's how people behave.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 27th, 2018, 10:20 am

Well good thing there are at least 3 large new parking garages going up in the neighborhood.

That might actually help the price of valet parking in the area which could help with some of the perceived congestion from people coming into the neighborhood. I work at the Hewing and spaces for valet are extremely competitive and the runners have to run blocks to get to the cars. If valet were under 8$ (ours is 12 i believe) it would be competitive with parking yourself anywhere plus convenience.

I also see this issue going away as the neighborhood fills in and the attractions are more spread out/ the neighborhood is more self sufficient and less reliant on visitors to sustain business.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 27th, 2018, 12:08 pm

It's a perception issue. Maybe it's not factually correct, but that's how people behave.
I think this. The Galleria actually has a really terrible parking situation, but most people just instinctively consider a parking lot to be easier than city parking.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 27th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Well good thing there are at least 3 large new parking garages going up in the neighborhood.

That might actually help the price of valet parking in the area which could help with some of the perceived congestion from people coming into the neighborhood. I work at the Hewing and spaces for valet are extremely competitive and the runners have to run blocks to get to the cars. If valet were under 8$ (ours is 12 i believe) it would be competitive with parking yourself anywhere plus convenience.

I also see this issue going away as the neighborhood fills in and the attractions are more spread out/ the neighborhood is more self sufficient and less reliant on visitors to sustain business.
Doesn't the Hewing valet use the surface lot behind Bachelor Farmer? A neighbor texted me that the lot will close on March 31st.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 27th, 2018, 1:38 pm

I think this. The Galleria actually has a really terrible parking situation, but most people just instinctively consider a parking lot to be easier than city parking.
Always have to wonder whether "it was hard to park" means "I had to parallel park" or "I had difficulty finding a spot."

josephmck
Block E

Postby josephmck » February 27th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Like beauty, ease or difficulty of parking is in the eye of the beholder.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » February 28th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Like beauty, ease or difficulty of parking is in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, most people I know think it's normal to complain about the parking at any big box stores simply because the empty spaces are to far away from the store entrance. You can NEVER win when it comes to parking. The only option is to not even try. Go bold and cater to the people who walk and take transit.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 28th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Turns out people will figure out how to park or otherwise get there, if there's a reason to do so.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 2nd, 2018, 8:25 am

Apparently it didn't take long to fill Shinola's spot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... north.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 2nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

That’ll make the wife happy!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 2nd, 2018, 4:01 pm

Huge land.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 2nd, 2018, 4:20 pm

I'm sure it wouldn't be cost-effective to have two locations so close together, but it would be cool if the Dayton's Project could land some of these hip Minneapolis retailers.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 24th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Disappointed it took so long, but not surprised, to consider pop up stores in long-vacant spaces.

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 477783653/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

Faribault Woolen Mill is opening up next to Northern Coffeeworks on Washington.

Edit: Humdinger and Sons moved to 404 Washignton Ave N

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » May 24th, 2018, 10:01 am

Disappointed it took so long, but not surprised, to consider pop up stores in long-vacant spaces.

Your unsurprised and disappointed at the same time about this positive news? You might want to get those "winter blues" checked out if it does not go away soon. I mean it's been almost a month without any snow!

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 24th, 2018, 10:12 am

Your unsurprised and disappointed at the same time about this positive news? You might want to get those "winter blues" checked out if it does not go away soon. I mean it's been almost a month without any snow!
What? He wished it would have happened sooner, meaning he also thinks this is positive news.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 24th, 2018, 10:17 am

I'm disappointed they're calling them "pop ups", which implies they view these as temporary until they can find their unicorn business-as-usual tenant who wants to take up 40,000sq ft. They really should be permanently dividing these spaces to reflect the reality that gigantic retail stores are a huge liability for a building, even if it means they only have to find and manage one tenant.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » May 24th, 2018, 10:18 am

Faribault Woolen Mill is opening up next to Northern Coffeeworks on Washington.

Edit: Humdinger and Sons moved to 404 Washignton Ave N
Cool to see North Loop-caliber retail spread east down Washington. Too bad the middle chunk of Washington from about Hennepin to 5th Ave was completely wiped of its original small scale fabric that supports this kind of retail. Oh well, we're going in the right direction.