Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby thatchio » May 24th, 2018, 8:02 am

Yeah, I actually really hate that our pedestrian overlay districts ban fast food. It just comes off as the worst sort of progressive "we know what's best for you." It's not like fast food needs a drive-thru (which is a legitimate thing to ban). I assume it also will prevent more than a few fast food places in emerging, walkable nodes from redeveloping.
I've always understood the restriction as being a way to keep fast food restaurants from knocking down buildings in older, pedestrian-oriented communities. That was happening a certain amount in the 1990s.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 24th, 2018, 9:29 am

Yeah, I actually really hate that our pedestrian overlay districts ban fast food. It just comes off as the worst sort of progressive "we know what's best for you." It's not like fast food needs a drive-thru (which is a legitimate thing to ban). I assume it also will prevent more than a few fast food places in emerging, walkable nodes from redeveloping.
I've always understood the restriction as being a way to keep fast food restaurants from knocking down buildings in older, pedestrian-oriented communities. That was happening a certain amount in the 1990s.
Yeah, wonder if they can add a stipulation just saying these rules apply for new build, standalone fast food restaurants. I have no problem is a fast food place wants to be incorporated into a mixed use development. Maybe this is why a place like Naf Naf opened in Stadium Village vs Uptown.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » May 25th, 2018, 9:06 am

I find the news about Heyday disappointing, but understand how they felt the need for a refresh--it was always empty in there despite the level of food and service we receieved. For my partner and me, it's always been one of our neighborhood favorites and we even rented out the space for our wedding reception. I'm glad Jim Christiansen will be using that same spot for the new concepts, I can't wait to see what the team comes up with next.

EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby EOst » May 30th, 2018, 3:47 pm

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... ake-james/

From the description, this sounds like 3000, 3004, and 3008 James, as well as 1711 Lake. All are owned by "James & Lake LLC". I'm surprised--those houses on James look really nice, at least from the outside.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 30th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Every unit won’t have a car spot, but will have a bike spot.

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » June 25th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I was able to stop by Tenka Ramen on Lake Street (formerly Marina) for lunch the other day. The space is nice and my soup was tasty. I was the only one in the restaurant, but I don't think anyone gets a big weekday lunch crowd in that area. I'd definitely say it's worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood or maybe as a pre/post movie stop.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 1st, 2018, 6:07 am

Rumor Mill: H and B galleries (2730 Hennepin) is shopping for a new home (potentially a Manson near the mia) which would mean a sizable lot for redevelopment. In the past I've been told that only Walgreens ever offered them enough money to consider moving, and they wouldn't sell to them and they already have their new home so I'm curious as to what's up.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » July 9th, 2018, 12:33 pm

This sounds promising:

"Young Joni owners opening Mexican restaurant in former Lucia's in Uptown"

http://www.startribune.com/young-joni-o ... 487677951/

"The four storefronts that once comprised Lucia’s various incarnations — the two dining rooms, the wine bar and the bakery/cafe — will be re-imagined by Studio MAI, the L.A.-based design firm that made Young Joni such a distinctive destination. The dining rooms and wine bar will be opened into a single, contiguous space, and the bakery/cafe will remain a separate environment."

"Construction should begin this fall with a summer 2019 target opening."

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 9th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Okay something that has bothered me forever - who owns that giant empty lot at Lake and Fremont and when is it going to become something?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 9th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Ackerberg Group, as it's part of the Calhoun Square property. They've owned it since 2014.

The last time they were asked about it in an interview, they said they're saving it for "something really special." Which probably is code for another MoZaic phase that looks indistinguishable from the one that's under construction now.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 9th, 2018, 2:08 pm

The annoyance of taxes being based off of the development on the property and not the land is killing us in this situation. PRIME land. Empty. Eyes forever rolling.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 9th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Okay something that has bothered me forever - who owns that giant empty lot at Lake and Fremont and when is it going to become something?
I totally agree with you. Every time I walk by the site it makes me sad. Have not looked at a map or anything, but isn’t this one of the last remaining parcels in uptown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby Qhaberl » July 9th, 2018, 2:17 pm

The annoyance of taxes being based off of the development on the property and not the land is killing us in this situation. PRIME land. Empty. Eyes forever rolling.

Can you explain a little more what you mean about the taxes, and how it relates to this piece of land? I’m not familiar with how the system works in Minneapolis, much less any other city.

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » July 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm

They did have plans once upon a time. I remember mixed use.....hotel, office, residential. 8 stories I think.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 9th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Can you explain a little more what you mean about the taxes, and how it relates to this piece of land? I’m not familiar with how the system works in Minneapolis, much less any other city.

https://streets.mn/2012/12/10/tax-land-not-buildings/

Check out this streets.mn post from a while ago. It's very helpful.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 9th, 2018, 3:22 pm

I figured they were waiting until the comp plan is revised at this point...

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » July 9th, 2018, 5:46 pm

I totally understand the argument to tax land and not buildings but couldn't that result in mediocre building in prime spots? For example Ackerberg decides to just throw up the ugliest, cheapest 5 over 1 we've seen just to make the land profitable and not taking such a bath on the taxes?

Plus that would give existing big building in less than prime locations a huge advantage, like Calhoun Towers or Eleven in DT?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 9th, 2018, 6:00 pm

I totally understand the argument to tax land and not buildings but couldn't that result in mediocre building in prime spots? For example Ackerberg decides to just throw up the ugliest, cheapest 5 over 1 we've seen just to make the land profitable and not taking such a bath on the taxes?
Since improvements wouldn't be taxed, that's less disincentive to build better things.

Another way to look at it: If we're worried that a crappy building in a certain location will make the parcel profitable, then the land tax is too low relative to its location desirability.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm

NOT UPTOWN---

Apparently Rudolph's finally closed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 6th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Here's a PDF of the proposed layout for the new Fremont Avenue bridge over the Greenway.

Sure seems to me that curbcuts at the promenade on the north face of the Greenway would be a useful element to include.