D Line - Chicago-Fremont/Emerson Rapid Bus

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
BoredAgain
Union Depot

Re: D Line - Chicago-Fremont/Emerson Rapid Bus

Postby BoredAgain » May 30th, 2018, 10:54 am

The current south bound bus stop is in front of the health partners building further up the block, so people loitering at the actual bus stop wouldn't even be close to Turtle Bread. Given the generally confined space, I'm guessing the new stop would be in the same location. Moving it closer to the active businesses would probably diminish loitering if drug use is an actual problem there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 30th, 2018, 10:58 am

The plan for the southbound stop is in front of the Pizza Hut. The stop in front of Health Partners would go away and revert to on-street parking. The Metro Transit community engagement people have said each stop is expected to result in a net loss of zero to one parking space.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » May 30th, 2018, 11:52 am

That may be the plan now, bu that doesn't mean it won't change. I wasn't worried about the parking. I was worried about confined space because of conflicts between bus stop, movement zone, and patio seating. Corner placement is best for transit reasons, but the sidewalk corner can get crowded.

Also, that will require tree removal and we all know how people respond to that.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: D Line - Chicago-Fremont/Emerson Rapid Bus

Postby David Greene » May 30th, 2018, 5:50 pm

The other question we need to ask ourselves how much race plays into this. By no means am I accusing any business or of being racist, but it something to be thought about.
Race is at the very center of this. And of a lot of opposition to transit.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » July 5th, 2018, 3:29 pm

http://www.startribune.com/fate-of-rout ... 487436241/

They still haven't been able to find another funding source for the D Line :(

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 5th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Angela Conley should use this as a wedge. Hennepin County picked up a $200 million dollar tab on SWLRT like it was nothing but McLaughlin continues to discount the rapid bus improvements as worthy.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » July 5th, 2018, 4:15 pm

But a planned upgrade to more-efficient and comfortable rapid bus service called the D Line — offering a light-rail passenger experience for a fraction of the cost — is uncertain after the $75 million project failed to secure $35 million from the Legislature this year.
Strongly dislike this description from the Strib. The letter-lines are phenomenal improvements to local bus service. They are not replacements for, or comparable to, rapid transit. This only serves to fuel the bad-faith "why build a train when a bus is cheaper" rhetoric that's particularly prevalent among those who don't actually want to fund buses either.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 6th, 2018, 3:21 am

Janet Moore isn’t the best at transit news. From her one sob story about Riverview to never mentioning the Kenilworth Corridor is a rail corridor.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 6th, 2018, 8:15 am

Move the D Line to Cedar and build a full subway on Chicago/Fremont instead.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2018, 8:54 am

And here's another rough paragraph from the story:
Metro Transit’s Route 5, which links Brooklyn Center to the Mall of America through north, south and downtown Minneapolis, is the busiest transit corridor in Minnesota and serves more than 4 million passengers a year.

...except for the Blue and Green line, which have, respectively, two and three times the ridership over much shorter lengths.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » July 6th, 2018, 9:01 am

Well no one here is gonna disagree with that :lol:
Metro Transit’s Route 5, which links Brooklyn Center to the Mall of America through north, south and downtown Minneapolis, is the busiest transit corridor in Minnesota and serves more than 4 million passengers a year.

...except for the Blue and Green line, which have, respectively, two and three times the ridership over much shorter lengths.
Busiest local service transit route, maybe? Sloppy all around.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2018, 9:10 am

Well, I'd argue that if we found funding to build a subway, I wouldn't start with this route.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 6th, 2018, 10:47 am

Well, I'd argue that if we found funding to build a subway, I wouldn't start with this route.
It would serve a desperate need for a high capacity north-south route through dense, transit dependent communities, and it could be routed through downtown in a way that its track could be used as the great white whale of Minneapolis urbanists - a transit tunnel that could underground the Blue and Green lines.

I definitely would start with this route.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 6th, 2018, 10:47 am

Busiest local service transit route, maybe? Sloppy all around.
Busiest bus route in Minnesota? That’s what I’m assuming.

And we can’t even get funding to upgrade that. The GOP aka Party of No aka Hypocrite Party shows their true colors once again.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2018, 11:09 am

It would serve a desperate need for a high capacity north-south route through dense, transit dependent communities...
So dense.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » July 6th, 2018, 11:21 am

It would serve a desperate need for a high capacity north-south route through dense, transit dependent communities...
So dense.
In that view you linked I see multifamily housing, small lots, and even a corner store. It ain't Brooklyn, but for Minnesota it's quite urban.

Not arguing that it's the most pressing or best candidate for a tunnel, just that it's not ridiculous especially given the other needs it would serve. Anyway if we manage to cobble together the pennies to build the D line it's still going to serve this community very well.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 6th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I mean, it's ridiculous to think we're going to get a subway period, so there's no reason to be a jackass about it. Besides, if you zoom out from that spot, you're just a few blocks away from Midtown Global Market, the Greenway, and Lake Street.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 6th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I guess my point is that it's not ridiculous to think that we could have some strategic sections of transit corridors with grade separation. In fact, it's something we should be pushing for. But to argue that, for example, the entire D Line should be a subway is... not a justifiable argument. Even in a world where transit was well-funded.

And if you've got a beef about the location I linked to above, just know that there are many many many less dense locations along the line that I could have linked to. I thought that the fact that this level of density existed only a block from Lake Street was particularly damning.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 7th, 2018, 4:42 am

How about some population and density data along this corridor instead of cherry picking the lowest or highest density areas.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 7th, 2018, 6:21 am

what about data showing density of population based on transit need? This route could be the densest. I actually kind of find it annoying that transit funding can be decided by sheer quantities of people. Most real dense areas of Minneapolis are fairly well off and wouldn't necessarily rely on transit nearly as much, especially outside of commuting. If you have neighborhoods with higher necessity than density you will probably get higher ridership.