Stadium Village

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Silophant

Re: Stadium Village

Postby Silophant » June 18th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Holy cow is someone finally realizing that Washington Ave SE has a north side as well as a south side?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 18th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Hooray, more property off the tax rolls that won't actually be used by the University! Maybe they'll finally fix that door that goes into Burger King from the parking lot.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 19th, 2018, 7:36 am

"Arrival gateway"

What this site needs is a residential building of similar height to the WaHu apartments. When I hear "arrival gateway," I fear someone at the U has the idea of putting some rinkydink plaza at that location, which would really degrade the urban feel of that street.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 19th, 2018, 8:38 am

They may go minimalist and raze everything and replace it with a flower pot.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 19th, 2018, 8:51 am

It’ll be fences or foliage walls to block desire paths.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 19th, 2018, 8:16 pm

I was going to make the same point that other people made do we believe the U of M foundation has the will power and ambition to build something great here, we know they have the resources. But honestly a little green space at the corner of Washington and Huron wouldn't be the worst thing so long as there WaHu overlooking it with retail.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 19th, 2018, 9:39 pm

What are the chances the u could acquire the unused Huron right of way? Or that the city lets then build on it?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 20th, 2018, 7:52 am

I was going to make the same point that other people made do we believe the U of M foundation has the will power and ambition to build something great here, we know they have the resources. But honestly a little green space at the corner of Washington and Huron wouldn't be the worst thing so long as there WaHu overlooking it with retail.
There is "green space" 600 feet to the west in front of the Alumni Center. Come now. Massive intersections like Huron/University/Washington need built edges to feel smaller, not be surrounded by more open space.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 20th, 2018, 8:14 am

What are the chances the u could acquire the unused Huron right of way? Or that the city lets then build on it?
According to the tax maps, the curved part of Huron and the adjacent tracks are owned by the U, so I could see a land swap happening there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 20th, 2018, 9:14 am

There is "green space" 600 feet to the west in front of the Alumni Center.
At was specifically sold as a "gateway" to campus.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 20th, 2018, 10:20 am

There is "green space" 600 feet to the west in front of the Alumni Center. Come now. Massive intersections like Huron/University/Washington need built edges to feel smaller, not be surrounded by more open space.
Also the Gophers stadium is surrounded by green space, except the 2221 University building, which is slated for demolition "some day" to be replaced by green space, to give the stadium its proper reverence. And while it's not exactly a park you can hang out, the storm water retention pond on the triangle across from WAHU is full of plants. So plenty of green space here.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 20th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I was thinking something more along the lines of an plaza/seating/green space that is part of the buildings design but sure whatever I'm the idiot.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 25th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Good news being spelled out for the Stub and Herbs corner

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... asses.html
Zavadil, who bought the business and real estate in 2007, said he’s been approached by apartment developers “almost monthly” but decided to sell to the foundation because multifamily developers wanted to tear down the restaurant right away. The foundation has a longer-term vision; he said there's language in the deal for a five-year lease extension.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 26th, 2018, 6:23 pm

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 27th, 2018, 7:15 am

I'm not sure if anyone saw these two Twitter threads but clearly the UMF and United Properties clearly have something really big planned. They want to create a "gateway" district, it's clear they have the land and we know they have the money to do something really great but we'll what the come up with.

https://twitter.com/BuchbergerJm/status ... 2075364358

https://twitter.com/evanrobertsnz/statu ... 1389783041

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 27th, 2018, 9:42 am

WOW. That is big. Look at this rendering.
I feel like there are multiple "new downtowns" in the works:
1. NE Mpls is going vertical
2. Stadium Village
3. Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development (which is traveling south on Snelling)
4. Ford site

Others?
5. South Loop Bloomington?
6. Southdale area of Edina?
7. Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) Edina?
8. West End in SLP (this has slowed)

How do we support all of these new areas?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 27th, 2018, 10:49 am

It's interesting how Downtown Minneapolis is strongly linked to many of these though either geography (NE) LRT (Midway and Stadium Village and South Loop) or interstate with 394 (West End). Is Pentagon park going to be part of SWLRT? Personally, I like Downtown St Paul to get some of this construction instead of these new areas.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 27th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Exciting plans, but I guess I'm a little nervous about their impact specifically at Washington/Huron. As I've said before (probably in this thread?), I think there's value in retaining those three corners of historic retail (SE: 1901, SW: 1905, NE: 1922) in the middle of all that new construction. It really helps to ground the otherwise kind of ticky-tacky street.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 27th, 2018, 2:03 pm

It's interesting how Downtown Minneapolis is strongly linked to many of these though either geography (NE) LRT (Midway and Stadium Village and South Loop) or interstate with 394 (West End). Is Pentagon park going to be part of SWLRT? Personally, I like Downtown St Paul to get some of this construction instead of these new areas.
SWLRT won't be anywhere near Pentagon Park and as far as I know there is no BRT anywhere near it either.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 27th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Is there a better quality image of that?