Art and Architecture Building Development - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / 155'

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
jmoney
City Center

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 17 Stories / 195'

Postby jmoney » June 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

The only downside is 3329 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414. It is the building across the street is a naloxene and naltrexone distribution center, which brings out the locals in the morning. Most drug rehad centers are done with daily meds around 10am, but it can be a little sketchy before that everyday.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 17 Stories / 195'

Postby Qhaberl » June 22nd, 2018, 12:44 pm

The only downside is 3329 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414. It is the building across the street is a naloxene and naltrexone distribution center, which brings out the locals in the morning. Most drug rehad centers are done with daily meds around 10am, but it can be a little sketchy before that everyday.

Can you give more details about sketchy? What kind of behavior have you witnessed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 22nd, 2018, 7:11 pm

Neither of those drugs are drugs that junkies would seek out — they both PREVENT the use of opioids. Is it also a methadone clinic? Then I could see it being sketchy.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 25th, 2018, 9:36 pm

This was approved by the CPC tonight, at the end of a five hour meeting. Will it be appealed to the full council? You better believe it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / ~155'

Postby grant1simons2 » June 25th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Then onto the courts: Minneapolis v. PEVOWH

(Preserve Every View of the Witch's Hat)

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am

Can you give more details about sketchy? What kind of behavior have you witnessed?

Drug addicts being drug addicts. This isn't an urgent care where you go get an x-ray for a broken finger. It is a drug clinic. Google opiod abuse if you need some examples of sketchy. I haven't seen anyone poop on anything if that helps otherwise I have see just about everything else. I don't know every single drug administered at the clinic. Most people have a court order to receive the drugs here. Drug addicts don't have any other incentive to go here other than that.

jmoney
City Center

Re: Art and Architecture Building Redevelopment - 3338 University Ave SE - 14 Stories / ~155'

Postby jmoney » July 3rd, 2018, 9:55 am

A bunch of houses in Prospect Park have signs stating, "We already have a tower". Super creative!

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » July 3rd, 2018, 10:05 am

Drug addicts being drug addicts. This isn't an urgent care where you go get an x-ray for a broken finger. It is a drug clinic. Google opiod abuse if you need some examples of sketchy. I haven't seen anyone poop on anything if that helps otherwise I have see just about everything else. I don't know every single drug administered at the clinic. Most people have a court order to receive the drugs here. Drug addicts don't have any other incentive to go here other than that.
Are we actually being prejudice against people trying to get better?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 3rd, 2018, 10:36 am

A bunch of houses in Prospect Park have signs stating, "We already have a tower". Super creative!
Now they'll have two, they should be overjoyed!

This is a very nice project that cleans up some properties and adds more density to a corridor that has been pushing for more density.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 5th, 2018, 6:59 am

It is exactly where the neighborhood decided they wanted development/density in their plan as well. So I think in general they should be fine with it.

jmoney
City Center

Postby jmoney » July 5th, 2018, 7:52 am

Are we actually being prejudice against people trying to get better?
I am not bashing the facility or individuals who use the facility. I am just stating what I observed. If you need a little bit of an eye opener stop by some morning. The clients are harmless but you will definitely get a new perspective. Addiction is a huge problem. Once the building comes in I would be willing to bet the lease will expire on the clinic or something else and they will move the center. You don't have to worry about judgments or observations anymore with the facility moved.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 12th, 2018, 7:44 am

Some updates from Cam Gordon
Art and Architecture Development. The Planning Commission approved the proposed Art & Architecture Building development by Vermilion at 3326, 3338, and 3350 University Ave SE on June 25. I heard a lot of community perspectives on this project, both for and against. I thank everyone who reached out to me and the Prospect Park Association for convening community meetings about this project. The height is one of the biggest concerns I heard about, so I was happy to see that the approved project was reduced from 17 to 14 stories (the tallest portion is functionally 13 stories but because the 1st floor exceeds 20 feet it counts as 2 stories). People are also concerned about impacts on the nearby historic water tower. In response to my request to have the Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC) look at this project, the City Attorney’s Office informed me that the HPC lacks any authority over the project because none of the buildings proposed to be demolished have been nominated as historic structures, or even identified as potential historic structures. Still I have reached out to one of the HPC co-chairs and am waiting to hear back from him. Many people are concerned about the view from and to the tower, but it appears that the city currently has no legal basis to compel preservations of views. I will be exploring options for addressing this in the future. According to state statute, and because one extension has already been granted, the City must act on a project by September 27th. The project has been appealed to the City Council, and the appeal will be heard at the Zoning and Planning committee on July 26th. The project also requires a rezoning so will need City Council approval for that as well. The rezoning will likely be considered by the Zoning and Planning Committee on July 12th. You can find more information (under item 13) at http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... MSP-211939.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 12th, 2018, 11:55 am

Ugh, the view argument. You cannot expect to preserve any view unless you own it. But I digress...

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 12th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Yep, hopefully this bit "I will be exploring options for addressing this in the future." is just lip service.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 12th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Ugh, the view argument. You cannot expect to preserve any view unless you own it.
Without speaking to this specific project or this specific view, it's very different to suggest that there are important view corridors that should be maintained for the public benefit than it is for a specific homeowner to claim that they own a view of the skyline or something. Cities around the world (including ones like vaunted Vancouver) recognize that there's value in this. It's not crazy to imagine that there are certain specific view corridors that should be protected through municipal legislation.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 12th, 2018, 1:11 pm

The view from the base of the Witch's Hat Tower looking westward towards downtown Minneapolis is absolutely a public benefit and should be preserved within reason. If Pratt Elementary sells out in favor of a twenty story condo tower, there's a good case for denying that.

But this project blocks a view that is already mostly blocked by trees of the SuperAmerica that (while home to many great memories for me) is not a major attraction.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » July 12th, 2018, 9:13 pm

The view of downtown Minneapolis is good from the tower, but surprisingly similar from the base of the tower. I've always been a little underwhelmed by the other directions. It's tree cover, and crappy industrial land in Saint Paul. Oh, and 280.
https://flickr.com/photos/83033999@N00/ ... 5777323882

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 13th, 2018, 8:08 am

What if ... this building actually creates something quite interesting to look at from the tower compared to what you can see from the top today? The old, “but the building will block my view of the highway and railroad yard” eventually becomes “all those tall buildings are a nice view”.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 13th, 2018, 8:58 am

Again, not taking an opinion on this, but I think the issue is more the view to the tower, not from it. Right now, the tower is visible from almost all vantage points, and visually stands alone. It's definitely a landmark, and very much part of the identity of this part of town. Whether you give a crap or not, the tower will definitely be visually impacted by this development.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 13th, 2018, 11:44 am

The best I can do. The only 'view' that people can really 'take in the tower' is from the highway.

Others-

This is the only real 'obstruction' of the view.

Even THIS view would be blocked by a 3-story building.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.