Downtown Hotel News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Hotel News

Postby SurlyLHT » June 11th, 2018, 11:36 am

The "empty" block across from the Campbell Mithun building would be a good location for this. Close to the Convention Center, connected to the skyway easily and not far from Dowtown East (the new Finnegans is closeby) or the core.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » June 11th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Have they rehabbed the building on that block that started on fire last year? Might give some clue to the future of that property.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 11th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Nope. Doesn't appear to have been touched since it was boarded up.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 11th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Louisville Kentucky got an Omni hotel and they're the 43rd largest metro area. Why not us?

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/omni-o ... -kentucky/

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 11th, 2018, 4:53 pm

I wonder if this could be reviving a Century Plaza / convention center development.
Please, please, please let this be the case, it makes almost too much sense. Hollow it out by taking out the parking ramp in the center and build a nice glassy tower growing out of that. Use the current building as meeting/ballroom space on the upper levels and ground floor as resturants/bars/lobby. Skyway connect it to both the Convention Center and the Alatus project across 3rd. Boom, done. Everybody wins.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby SurlyLHT » June 12th, 2018, 6:46 am

I wonder if this could be reviving a Century Plaza / convention center development.
Please, please, please let this be the case, it makes almost too much sense. Hollow it out by taking out the parking ramp in the center and build a nice glassy tower growing out of that. Use the current building as meeting/ballroom space on the upper levels and ground floor as resturants/bars/lobby. Skyway connect it to both the Convention Center and the Alatus project across 3rd. Boom, done. Everybody wins.
I don't think it would be the Century Plaza Parcel given that for a couple weeks they've started tearing out the interior and prepping it to be come a Senior Facility. If they were going to do major major construction I think there tact would be different.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 12th, 2018, 9:50 am

Rumor Mill: Omni Hotels and Resorts is having an event for travel industry people July 17th. According to my source, they've previously held similar events in cities that they're planning on entering. They've announced their Nashville and Louisville locations this way.

Omni specializes in large convention and resort type properties, 500 rooms and up. They own their own properties and likely this would be something newly built.
I know you said rumor mill, but is there anywhere this event is being publicized?

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 12th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Rumor Mill: Omni Hotels and Resorts is having an event for travel industry people July 17th. According to my source, they've previously held similar events in cities that they're planning on entering. They've announced their Nashville and Louisville locations this way.

Omni specializes in large convention and resort type properties, 500 rooms and up. They own their own properties and likely this would be something newly built.
I know you said rumor mill, but is there anywhere this event is being publicized?
I have an invitation to the event through work. I looked online and I'm not seeing a public link to the event. My source is one of their sales reps. I will report back after the event on the 17th.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 19th, 2018, 6:30 am

Did there end up being any news at the event?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 19th, 2018, 8:43 am

The news is a dud...

They've had talks with the Vikings of building a hotel at their practice facility and creating a Vikings Disneyland much like the Omni Hotel Frisco.

https://www.thestarinfrisco.com

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 19th, 2018, 9:17 am

Gross

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 19th, 2018, 10:40 am

Other than training camp, when would this be appealing? I suppose they could have rooms that are geared toward traveling media and they could house players that come in for visits, but I'd assume most people using it would have business at the facility.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 19th, 2018, 1:40 pm

There are a number of other large corps down in that area. Thompson Reuters is one example. They are hoping that they will stay as close a possible. I think they are also hoping some of the amenities built in (auditorium, etc) will be used by these corps too.

I think they are hoping that the stadium will be used for MSHSL games and could have out of towners stay right there.

lastly, remember they plan to eventually build out 10 (?) apartment buildings adding thousands of residents, plus retail, office, etc. They hope all of these uses lead to a HUGE mixed use area that has everything you could ever need.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » July 19th, 2018, 3:07 pm

And it's fairly close to the airport too.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2018, 10:02 pm

The Rand Tower hotel conversion was presented to the DMNA LUC tonight. Only new item was that they're going to build a rooftop bar on top of the four-story annex section between the tower itself and CP Plaza.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 9th, 2018, 8:34 am

Cool, I overlook that from my office and I look forward to spying on people on the rooftop.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » July 17th, 2019, 7:36 am

Rand Tower update- http://www.startribune.com/owner-of-ran ... 512798372/
The owner of Rand Tower, a historic Art Deco office building in downtown Minneapolis, is transforming it into a Tribute by Marriott hotel.

Maven Real Estate Partners plans to spend more than $86 million to convert the building at 527 S. Marquette Av. from office space into a 277-room hotel, said Nick Peterson, co-founder and principal of Maven.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 20th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Rand Tower update- http://www.startribune.com/owner-of-ran ... 512798372/
The owner of Rand Tower, a historic Art Deco office building in downtown Minneapolis, is transforming it into a Tribute by Marriott hotel.

Maven Real Estate Partners plans to spend more than $86 million to convert the building at 527 S. Marquette Av. from office space into a 277-room hotel, said Nick Peterson, co-founder and principal of Maven.
I like it until the part there 6th street bike lanes are gonna have to deal with more hotel valet dropoff crossing over and of course double parking during busy times. Besides that I wonder if all these hotels can keep making enough given our winter season occupancy levels are rock bottom awful. It's just a waiting game to see which older hotel is the first to jump ship. Unless we truly can support all these new hotels. Seems odd to me were such a growing tourist destination now. Maybe global warming makes our winter wonderland much more wonderful to outsiders? :?:

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 20th, 2019, 2:50 pm

We have lots of businesses for business travelers to visit.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 20th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I'm certainly not in the industry, but I don't think tourism really has all that much to do with downtown hotel occupancy, in this or the majority of other cities.

(Outside of sporting events, obviously)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]