RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Gateway Tower (Four Seasons/RBC) - 43 stories - 513'

Postby Qhaberl » June 12th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Hope not. I would like that to be a hotel connected to the Convention center, or at least a little closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 19th, 2018, 8:43 am

About 40 people from the four seasons have been staying at the hotel that I work at. I mentioned to a couple different guests that we were excited to have them as neighbors. All of them said that a hotel here is rumors only. That the media has promoted it but there's nothing official. So maybe it's a cover up but maybe they are still on the fence.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

About 40 people from the four seasons have been staying at the hotel that I work at. I mentioned to a couple different guests that we were excited to have them as neighbors. All of them said that a hotel here is rumors only. That the media has promoted it but there's nothing official. So maybe it's a cover up but maybe they are still on the fence.
When I worked for Target Corp and we were in certain new markets looking at possible sites - we would be asked all the time... where when etc... and we always had the stock reply... "we're here for meetings"... or "we love this market and hope we can build a store here"... but hey - a large group (40!) is a big deal and definitely would be about either final negotiations or a major announcement...

Navin
City Center

Postby Navin » July 26th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Now it's offices only. Both the residential and the hotel are out of the plans. Oof.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 212752.pdf
This development was reviewed at the June 14, 2018, Committee of the Whole meeting. At that meeting the
developer was contemplating two development scenarios. The first one included fifteen office floors, ten hotel
guestroom floors and seven residential condominium floors sitting atop a three-level podium consisting of hotel
amenities, lobby spaces, service areas and retail/restaurant spaces at the street level. The second development
scenario removed the hotel component of the development and replaced those floors plus the residential
condominium floors with rental dwelling units. Both of these development scenarios also included a porte
cochere along Hennepin Avenue. Neither of these development scenarios are being considered any longer and
there is no longer a porte cochere in the design

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 26th, 2018, 12:38 pm

I am so confused...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Good thing UP lured the Four Seasons away from the TCF redevelopment proposal. That worked out well.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 26th, 2018, 1:17 pm

This is definitely a disappointing revision. But I don't think the suggestion that Four Seasons would otherwise be currently operating a hotel as part of the TCF development holds up at all.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2018, 1:57 pm

That's probably true. I would have thought that the Four Seasons hits enough of a different market that they wouldn't worry as much about the hotel glut that downtown is seeing, but maybe not.

While it's disappointing to see 55 feet and a five star hotel removed from this project, I think it's a good sign for the city that UP thinks it's worthwhile to add 305ksf of (presumably spec?) office space.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 26th, 2018, 2:11 pm

So will there be a connection from the Xcel skyway to the library, then onward to RBC?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

The building is a little boring now, but at least it's a little more uniform in look, not as confused.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 26th, 2018, 2:24 pm

So will there be a connection from the Xcel skyway to the library, then onward to RBC?
Yeah, looks like this will still connect to the library, which will be getting a skyway across Nicollet to the about-to-open 365 Nicollet, which connects (theoretically) to the new Xcel building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Gateway Tower (RBC Plaza Jr.) - 30 stories - 458'

Postby xandrex » July 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Wow, the renderings make this look so short and fat now. What a disappointing project this has become.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » July 26th, 2018, 5:51 pm

I'm sure I have a (well deserved) reputation here for being overly critical and negative but this is sure is a disappointment.

I find it fascinating that we can somehow get great to amazing projects on B or C level parcels and nothing but good enough to meh for A level parcels.

All that said this is a pretty good looking office building

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » July 27th, 2018, 8:29 am

The proportions on this are... not good. What a letdown.

Lisa I. RoadBot
City Center

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » July 27th, 2018, 10:45 am

What a crappy piece of crap- crap.
Nope! they are outta here.
They failed. Their proposal is unacceptable, its shot.
There was a process to win the rights to develop here, United FAILED.
Other proposals were cast aside, they were told they weren't good enough...
I wanted Duval to win, and perhaps that was unrealistic, but I want the process to win the development rights to this
property to begin anew-
Waiting 4, 5, 6 years for a new building is nothing compared to giving this property away
to these failures at United to build a 494 loop style suburban McOffice....
I'm SO angry I can't even give a intelligent rebuttal.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » July 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

Is it possible that the city (and internet posters) have overestimated how "iconic" this intersection really is? This has been a vacant lot for decades. The lot across the street is vacant. Kitty corner was an abandoned car dealership and then people were angry when the project that went in was only a 5+1. The people with money to fund projects or lease large blocks of space don't seem to think this is the place to be. One could get the impression that this is just another set of vacant lots at an intersection on the periphery of a central business district.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 27th, 2018, 11:53 am

We shouldn't base our iconic intersections based on the 70s and 80s. But also I think a lot of what's being said is a bit overreative.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 27th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I would have loved to have the Four Seasons at this location, but it appears the hotel market is softening so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm guessing the West Elm Hotel project may get axed next, if it hasn't already since we haven't heard anything about it in ages.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 27th, 2018, 12:25 pm

The mix of uses got worse, but the design got better. Unfortunately these two things seem directly and inversely related on this project. But there's a recent example in Philadelphia, the mixed use FMC Tower, which has very obvious office and residential sections, with a simple and effective massing (otherwise it's not a great building either). It remains surprising to me that UP can't find a way to make X stories of residential or hotel work at the top of this building and have a massing that looks like a disaster.

Also, it's still annoying that UP went to an Atlanta firm and got such disappointing work. There's nothing in what we've seen from this building that is not easily within the capabilities of a Minnesota firm.

Lisa I. RoadBot
City Center

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » July 27th, 2018, 12:31 pm

THE DEAL was....
We (the Representatives of The Citizens of Minneapolis), give you, the winners of the"proposal contest" development rights to this parcel-
YOU (United Properties) give us an ICONIC BUILDING....
That has not been fulfilled.
This is the corner of Washington and Hennepin Avenues, for chrissakes- it's what it could be, not what it is, or what it has been recently...
I guess "any building is better than no building", though, huh? you guys?
Put some landscaping on it, and save it for a more responsible City Council and Developer of the future...