Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Ave / Eat Street - Whittier, Stevens, Loring Park

Postby seanrichardryan » May 1st, 2017, 2:52 pm

Context:

Their first permit last July was for tuckpointing for 15k.
The most recent permit in April is for rebrick to the tune of 111k

All that after 20k in tuckpointing in 2008.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 1st, 2017, 2:55 pm

... Most masons take a lot of pride in their work so I doubt they'd do it poorly.
I'm not commenting on the character of the masons, just the building owners.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 1st, 2017, 6:16 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 1st, 2017, 6:20 pm

I thought Stephen Frenz lost his license??

Silophant

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Silophant » May 25th, 2018, 10:08 am

There's a couple development proposals for Stevens Square.

One is across Franklin from the Electric Fetus (currently a three-story building), and the other is at 18th and Nicollet, presumably the vacant lot between 18th and the freeway trench. It mentions that the 18th and Nicollet might need variances and/or a CUP. Which is good, since the site is zoned C2. Anything permitted by-right in C2 would be pretty disappointing.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 25th, 2018, 11:14 am

That’s awesome. I can’t wait to see what they are thinking about doing with the 18th and Nicholas block. I’ve been hoping to see that area fill-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamtheBusNerd
City Center

Postby SamtheBusNerd » June 11th, 2018, 10:41 am

There's a couple development proposals for Stevens Square.

One is across Franklin from the Electric Fetus (currently a three-story building), and the other is at 18th and Nicollet, presumably the vacant lot between 18th and the freeway trench. It mentions that the 18th and Nicollet might need variances and/or a CUP. Which is good, since the site is zoned C2. Anything permitted by-right in C2 would be pretty disappointing.
Any news on this? Anyone get to the neighborhood association meeting?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 11th, 2018, 10:47 am

Have heard that the project across from the Fetus is a re-use of existing building and not a demo and new build, so that's good to hear if true.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 11th, 2018, 11:00 am

I didn't go, but I saw a couple live tweet threads from people who did. I'll see if I can dig them up.

From memory, the one across from the Electric Fetus will be a remodel of that building into apartments, with no retail.

The 18th and Nicollet project will be empty lot on the east side of Nicollet. Bog-standard 5+1, retail along Nicollet, underground parking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 11th, 2018, 1:29 pm

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » June 11th, 2018, 1:39 pm

That's a great building to renovate. And filling a long vacant lot. Both positives. The neighborhood support is refreshing as well. I feel for the residents being strangled by freeways like that though.

SamtheBusNerd
City Center

Postby SamtheBusNerd » June 12th, 2018, 8:47 am

Thanks for the updates. These both look great! I understand the neighbors wanting a grocery store, though. I always thought that something like Good Grocer would be ideal for that area too. It's very high density, low car ownership, and there are a ton of low income folks who don't have particularly good access to groceries without a bus ride.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » July 2nd, 2018, 12:46 pm

Speaking of the Nicollet Burger King, I want to put something cool in the parking lot for open streets this year. Any thoughts? I'm considering getting the wrestling they had on Lyndale.

Also, does anyone know what's up with this? Are developers still sniffing around or is BK gonna do something?

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » July 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Speaking of the Nicollet Burger King, I want to put something cool in the parking lot for open streets this year. Any thoughts? I'm considering getting the wrestling they had on Lyndale.

Also, does anyone know what's up with this? Are developers still sniffing around or is BK gonna do something?
Nothing has happened yet, but there were 9 interested parties at some point in 2016-2017. Bankruptcy proceedings are still happening for the former operator. While BK corporate could do something now, I imagine they will wait until bankruptcy is over since some creditors still have stuff in the building. I've been following the docket - things keep getting delayed. Honestly, the longer this drags out, the better. If the comp plan/zoning changes pass before BK makes a decision, there would be constraints on having this stay a single story fast food establishment.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » July 28th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Received a notice of public hearing in the mail this week concerning Nighthawks at 38th & Nicollet (because I live in the neighborhood). They're requesting an upgrade in their alcohol license from beer & wine to full liquor. Now, I fully support this and think its awesome, but a year or two ago on one of these threads we discussed how that wouldn't be possible because 38th & Nicollet doesn't have X number of contiguous acres zoned commercial (I can't remember what X was). Has the city loosened the requirements? Or, is it just possible to ask for exceptions on a case by case basis?

If anyone's interested, the hearing is at 1:30pm on August 7th in room 317 at city hall.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 3rd, 2018, 1:20 pm

Per this PDF:
Purpose of Application: The applicant wishes to upgrade his license from wine to liquor and seeks approval for an internal transfer of shares.

7 Acres: Not met. The business received an exemption from the 7 acre requirement from the 2018 Minnesota State Legislature.

Which is a thing that several restaurants in south Minneapolis have done over the years. Of note, and if memory serves, the exemption is tied to the property, not the business -- so any future business at that location could utilize the same exemption.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

It would be interesting to get a full list of Mpls restaurants that have gotten the exemption from the “7 contiguous acres of commercial zoning” rule. Also interesting that the way this exception is obtained is through state legislation, rather than through the city (the 7 acres rule comes from the more static city charter, rather than city ordinances which are easily amended)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 20th, 2018, 6:48 am

This is why a restaurant in my neighborhood paid another land owner to rezone an unrelated nearby parking lot from OR2 to C1 :(

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

Chain link went up around the Good Grocer site yesterday. Sidewalk is closed so they put jersey barriers in the street for sidewalks down to 27th.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 26th, 2018, 10:53 am

CPED proposes acquiring 19 E 26th St, a tiny tax-forfeited 2-story storefront, for future redevelopment:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 214927.pdf

1. Sandwiched between Little Tijuana and other buildings. Given Little Tijuana's feud with Bender/etc, this might put them on the hot seat a little more.
2. "Project Coordinator comments: Acquisition as pilot for possible future commercial land trust ownership"