Federal Reserve Riverfront Parking Ramp

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 10th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Well permit for the large lot behind Askov Finlayson/Bachelor Farmer

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924140634

Hmmm. Switch to contract lot. See huge dip in usage. Build up!

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby dajazz » December 10th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Well permit for the large lot behind Askov Finlayson/Bachelor Farmer

http://apps.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/PIApp/ ... 2924140634

Hmmm. Switch to contract lot. See huge dip in usage. Build up!
The Federal Reserve bought that lot. Talked with someone who lives in the condos overlooking it and only employees are able to park there, nights and weekends it’s empty.

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » December 10th, 2018, 2:23 pm

My understanding is that they are planning a parking ramp there. This info comes from someone living in the condos at 212 and they have received some notifications explaining the intent. I don't believe any designs have been presented and have no idea how far along they are in the planning. The folks that own the units overlooking the surface lot (where said parking ramp would be built) are not too happy about it I would imagine. My friend looks over the street so hasn't paid much attention.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 10th, 2018, 2:29 pm

Riverfront, trail adjacent parking ramp... that’s about where my expectation for the North Loop riverfront would rise to.

downtowndweller
City Center

Postby downtowndweller » December 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm

What an asinine location for a parking ramp!?? An unbuilt location in the North Loop with river views and trail access would make for an amazing residential opportunity. Whether it's condos/apartment/townhomes, there are so many better options than a parking ramp.

Is there a less critical lense when the government is building than with private developers? I feel this would never get the green light if it was recommended by a private developer.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 10th, 2018, 5:35 pm

I don't think there is - even the city office building went through the CPC process, and the Fed isn't government, exactly. I don't see any reason why a parking ramp here wouldn't be subject to the "no stand-alone parking structures downtown" ordinance, even if the Fed is proceeding as if it won't apply.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 10th, 2018, 6:31 pm

If they put a newsstand on the first floor, is it considered mixed use?

OK, a newsstand totally sounds like something from a black & white movie.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » December 10th, 2018, 10:29 pm

I don't think there is - even the city office building went through the CPC process, and the Fed isn't government, exactly. I don't see any reason why a parking ramp here wouldn't be subject to the "no stand-alone parking structures downtown" ordinance, even if the Fed is proceeding as if it won't apply.
I know their structure is unique, looks like they’ve previously asserted they’re a federal entity and the city of Minneapolis has recognized it as such: https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... ollet-mal/

I’m not thrilled about a parking ramp on this site. Residential would have been perfect. Retail, outside of a brewery, wouldn’t do the best here so I can’t imagine they would include that in a ramp. Would be nice if they would improve access to the river. We’ve brought our dog through their backyard space before but it’s closed later in the evening and all winter.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2019, 8:35 pm

This is a pretty terrible thing to put on trail adjacent riverfront land in Minneapolis.

I can understand needing parking with so much private surface lots nearby getting developed. But doing it this way is an insult to the city and the neighborhood.

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/01/mi ... loop-ramp/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 15th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Oooof
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 15th, 2019, 11:52 pm

I appreciate how the Cedar Lake trail curves through the Fed parcel in the rendering, instead of the hard right angle that currently exists. Small favors.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 16th, 2019, 6:43 am

I appreciate how the Cedar Lake trail curves through the Fed parcel in the rendering, instead of the hard right angle that currently exists. Small favors.
Ha. Really.

Too bad Hennepin sold it to the bank. If they sold it to the city to build parking, the city could incentivize less parking over time by ratcheting up the price for parking every year, making spaces on the lower levels for smaller vehicles only, etc.

But since that didn’t happen, what can the city do to discourage parking? Give them 25% fewer spaces than the bank is asking for? Require free or reduced cost transit passes for employees? Require them to charge for parking? Require them to allow non-employees to park there (increasing the competition & cost for spots)?

This is all just off the top of my head, so these may be terrible ideas. But I think the city needs to very strongly resist (if not ban) any large parking facilities. Otherwise, nothing will change.

I mean this is 5 blocks from the intersection of the Blue & Green Lines & their extensions, and the E Line aBRT will go right past it on Hennepin. Granted, it’ll be 5 years before those are done, but this garage will presumably last much longer than that.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » January 16th, 2019, 7:29 am

This has more info http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 216556.pdf

As stated above I do like the curve on the trail. Also the new park appears to be open and has actual access to the river. Currently there is a massive wall there and their space is only open certain hours during the summer. It’ll be nice not to have to commingle on the bike path and get yelled at or continue down to Hennepin to get to the river. Also looks like they’ll at least offer public parking to the neighboring businesses.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 16th, 2019, 8:43 am

"A Great City Parks"

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 16th, 2019, 9:27 am

This is darkly comedic. The Federal Reserve is full of smart economists who should be able to understand basic ideas like induced demand. At a time when we need to be discouraging driving in every way possible, here comes the federal government looking to build a gigantic parking garage on transit-accessible prime city real estate.

The city should use every tool in their kit to block this. The Fed should be ashamed.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 16th, 2019, 10:41 am

I don't question the need for more parking in the North Loop -- there's lots of evidence that it's in short supply. As long as they're charging market rate to Fed employees, and as long as it's open to the public, I don't have a problem with developing parking here.

This siteplan, with a freestanding single use parking structure, is not good.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » January 16th, 2019, 11:06 am

This is a potential K-Mart moment. You know, when 20 or 30 years from now people complain, "How could this horrible thing have been built...and in this spot!?" and then others dig into the history to explain how it sort of made sense at the time.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 16th, 2019, 11:10 am

How easy is it to get from the suburbs to this part of the North Loop via public transportation?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 16th, 2019, 11:38 am

Does anybody know what actually goes on in the Federal Reserve these days?

Obviously, there's a big chunk of office space, where office workers do office things. But my understanding was that the bulk of the building (space-wise) was dedicated to the physical shuttling and shuffling of checks and cash and what not -- things that, in our increasingly digital age, probably aren't nearly as important as they used to be. Also, things that -- to the extent they still need to happen -- maybe don't need to be happening on prime riverfront real estate.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 16th, 2019, 11:42 am

How easy is it to get from the suburbs to this part of the North Loop via public transportation?
Depends on the suburb. Looks like a pretty good number of 394 and 212 express busses come to the North Loop after doing the Marq2 stops. I find it hard to believe that this ramp would fill up if they're actually charging market rate for parking. If it's free, of course everyone will happily sit in traffic for half an hour for that sweet dopamine hit of free downtown parking.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]