RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Gateway Tower (RBC/Four Seasons) - 37 stories - 503'

Postby lordmoke » January 10th, 2019, 1:59 pm

The porte cochere is totally reasonable (I say this as someone who bikes on Hennepin with great frequency) but I'm really, really not thrilled about that sign getting approved, if for no other reason than the terrible precedent it sets. I like being able to appreciate our skyline without being assaulted by advertising. What's going to stop every future tower from pulling this same maneuver now?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 10th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I'm not nearly as worried about future towers as I am about current buildings wanting to add signs now. If we're gaining several new 500'+ office towers, I'm not going to be too upset if there are a couple signs dotting the skyline. I'm 1000x more concerned about seeing logos added to Wells Fargo Center, Capella Tower, 33 South 6th (City Center tower), 222 South 9th (fmr. Campbell Mithun Tower), Fifth Street Towers, Target Plaza's video screen, etc. Basically the top 15 on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... inneapolis.

Sooner or later, one of them will ask. They won't have anywhere near the leverage that RBC did today, due to it being long-vacant city-owned property, etc., but they will still ask, eventually. Hopefully future City Councils won't cave, and the current sign ordinance remains in place, isn't challenged in court, etc.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 10th, 2019, 4:52 pm

If Target wants to, they have a pretty easy case to make. The vehicle (video board) is already there, and if the city didn't say no to RBC, they sure as hell won't say no to the most important corporation to downtown.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 10th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Despite what I said above, I actually think Target would have the weakest case of any of the above-listed buildings, due to the unique nature of the video board. RBC's sign is really quite small, and static. It's a massive leap to Target having huge animated logos floating around the skyline. I'd bet that the initial approvals of Target Plaza South included very strong & detailed language concerning what they can/cannot display on there.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 10th, 2019, 5:08 pm

I probably wouldn't mind signage if they were limited to the size of the RBC one, actually.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 10th, 2019, 5:10 pm

PS, random note...if nobody has noticed, this building is pretty similar to the relatively new RBC tower in Raleigh, NC. That one is decent, but a bit disjointed with the mix of uses and the tacked on spire. Hopefully ours will look better:)

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » January 11th, 2019, 4:11 pm

The porte cochere is totally reasonable (I say this as someone who bikes on Hennepin with great frequency) but I'm really, really not thrilled about that sign getting approved, if for no other reason than the terrible precedent it sets. I like being able to appreciate our skyline without being assaulted by advertising. What's going to stop every future tower from pulling this same maneuver now?
As sombody who also bikes a lot downtown I think this is not going to be very biking friendly. Biking down Nicollet drivers notice the bikes which bike in the roadway. Once Hennepin is redone and has a bike lane mixed in with the sidewalk and bus stop area drivers are not going to be as watchful as they are when the bikes are actually on the roadway.

Right now it's only a minor issue, and given all the requirements of the block the developer still has done a good job at still making it work. I can tell after watching that city council meeting that all these focuses on types of construction jobs, types of hotel jobs, while the developer is just trying to keep the deal together. I still say get it approved.

However, 10-20 years from now once Hennepin Ave and Washington Ave start to become the backbone to a bike protected network, having this hotel's porte cochere right in the thick of things is going to be a much bigger annoyance in the future. I wish they could have place it on 3rd. or have used the "streetcar" ROW with an agreement that they would remove it upon the construction of the line (if it were to ever be built) There should have been more of a consideration to move the sidewalk & bike lane further into the building space thereby allowing the cars to still have a drop off space without cars and pedestrians & bikes having to cross lanes twice. Except for the parking ramp access for valet which would be only used by trained drivers who would understand they need to watch out for bikes. Just my two cents.

Still overall I'd say a solid B, maybe a B- given their lack of detail for long term impacts. Or maybe C+, but that's a bit dramatic, but then again so is the sign on top.. :x ...Ok. solid B-.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 14th, 2019, 1:57 pm

I feel like there's gotta be some sort of design somewhere between "Hewing Hotel Load in the Bike Lane" and "Four Seasons Porte Cochere." Why not some sort of pull-out area and curbside loading zone, and then curve the bike lane in towards the development via an easement?

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » January 14th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Because the world revolves around bikers. Get over yourselves.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 14th, 2019, 10:02 pm

That’s like saying we put in curb cuts because the world revolves around people in wheel chairs.

Having the bike route go around the hotel drop off is better for people driving and for people on bikes because there is less conflict.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 14th, 2019, 10:12 pm

When what little train transit we do have includes a direct line from the airport to downtown a couple of blocks away, and leading cities worldwide are slowly choking cars out of their densest downtown areas, a porte cochère sounds as anachronistic as a typewriter or 8-track stereo.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » January 14th, 2019, 11:07 pm

When what little train transit we do have includes a direct line from the airport to downtown a couple of blocks away, and leading cities worldwide are slowly choking cars out of their densest downtown areas, a porte cochère sounds as anachronistic as a typewriter or 8-track stereo.
I don’t intend to belittle, but my hipster-sense went off at the mention of a typewriter and of an 8-track. My initial response to your post was “but those sound cool!!” Haha #selfdeprication

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » January 14th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but at no point in the near future will the average person staying at this potential four seasons hotel (or any other four seasons hotel that I know of) be arriving by train, bus, or bike. This is the private car or taxi/uber crowd. I understand and agree that we want to move away from car crossing conflicts, but having cars and passengers unloading directly into an above-the-curb bike lane doesn't really sound better to me (aside from the above-the-curb part).

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 14th, 2019, 11:47 pm

If we design for cars, we get cars.

If we want a different world, we have to design new things differently.

It’s that simple.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 14th, 2019, 11:49 pm

I don’t intend to belittle, but my hipster-sense went off at the mention of a typewriter and of an 8-track. My initial response to your post was “but those sound cool!!” Haha #selfdeprication
Ha ha! Your hipster is my old junk. Image

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2019, 8:33 am

How will porte cocheres be re-purposed when we ban cars?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » January 15th, 2019, 9:29 am

They will be lovely awnings to keep people out of the rain and snow no matter the mode of transportation.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 15th, 2019, 10:37 am

It's true...can you imagine? They work for any mode of transport. Horse and buggy? It's got you covered! See what I did there?

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » January 15th, 2019, 10:43 am

Can’t wait ‘til the streetcar pulls into the porte cochère

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 15th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Covered bike parking. :mrgreen:
I feel like there's gotta be some sort of design somewhere between "Hewing Hotel Load in the Bike Lane" and "Four Seasons Porte Cochere." Why not some sort of pull-out area and curbside loading zone, and then curve the bike lane in towards the development via an easement?
You can bet any valet stand and luggage unloading would block the bike lane in this scenario. I feel like it's almost worse than a porte cochere.