Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
BoredAgain
Union Depot

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby BoredAgain » December 9th, 2018, 11:38 am

Thats understandable. I figure we could do both though. Would having an earlier bowl eliminate the chance to host the CFP national championship game?
Levi's Stadium is hosting the Redbox bowl on Dec 31st and then the CFP Championship Game on Jan 7th. So yes, it can be done.

Just need a Corporate Sponsor for the Bowl (i.e. US Bank Bowl, Target Bowl, Best Buy Bowl, 3M Bowl).
Big Bowl Bowl. Tori Ramen Bowl. Bottomless Soup Bowl sponsored by Olive Garden.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 9th, 2018, 2:25 pm

The General Mills Cereal Bowl.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » December 9th, 2018, 2:49 pm

The General Mills Cereal Bowl.
Yes!!!!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 11th, 2018, 11:24 am

On the flip side, because it's Minneapolis and not a major hub of national media, will this move receive less attention and publicity than it might otherwise? That seems almost certainly so at least in terms of mainstream, general audience press. But will that matter, if (perhaps) Minneapolis' example still widely spreads among elected leaders and public policy experts?
I don't know that a Portland or Seattle or San Francisco or whatever doing this would get nearly as much attention outside the normal bubbles because I think a lot would write it off as "expected."

That Minneapolis, a city usually slightly outside the spotlight but generally held in high regard, did this perhaps makes it more noteworthy.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » December 22nd, 2018, 10:28 am

Justin Sutherland, from St. Paul, is on the current season of Top Chef. He’s still in the competition as of this post.

Anondson
IDS Center

Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby Anondson » February 6th, 2019, 7:36 pm

HGTV will have an 8 episode show set in the Twin Cities, filming started in November and wraps in April. Airs the summer.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... ies-couple
The show sees the Foxes, who have been running their Minnetonka-based realty and design company, Fox Homes, for almost a decade, give clients the opportunity to either renovate their current home or buy another property nearby that can be customized to their desire.

It is a huge deal for the Foxes, but it will also serve as a major advert for the Twin Cities considering the whole series will be set in the metro area, much in the same way Chip and Joanna Gaines' "Fixer Upper" is set in Waco, Texas.

"We’re really excited to show off more of Minnesota!" Heather Fox told BMTN.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 6th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Great to see an HGTV program in a local setting. Unfortunately I don’t think there is anything that can touch Windy City Rehab. That show outclasses everything in the genre.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 6th, 2019, 11:05 pm

I think they did a pilot a while back. It was interesting. We loved seeing St Louis Park. Could be a hit if the couple is likeable. Fixer Upper was a huge success because people love Chip and Jo.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

Senator Klobuchar will be announcing her run for the Presidency on Saturday at Boom Island. Boom Island gives her the space that she needs and wouldn't get on the Stone Arch Bridge, but still gives her a similarly impressive skyline backdrop.

It's interesting to me the urban locations where some of the leading 2020 candidates formally announced. Kamala Harris held a big rally on the plaza outside Oakland City Hall. Cory Booker gave a press conference outside of his home in Newark. Klobuchar will now add to that with a rally in a nearby neighborhood park.

At the very least, Klobuchar's event should clear up some confusion as to whether Minnesota has cities.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » February 7th, 2019, 11:20 am

Senator Klobuchar will be announcing her run for the Presidency on Saturday at Boom Island.
I thought she was announcing on Sunday, February 10. Did that change?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 7th, 2019, 11:48 am

It’s Sunday.

This event should also help raise the profile of Boom Island Park, one of the most awesome but least appreciated park spaces in the entire city. Most people probably haven’t even heard of it, let alone know how insane the views of downtown are. Holding Rock the Garden here back in 2016 really opened my eyes to how underused and under-appreciated this park is

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 7th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Psh most of us know about it from streets.meetups.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 7th, 2019, 11:44 pm

The Houston Chronicle republished a length story by Energy News Network on how solar is being expanded in low income neighborhoods of Minneapolis.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Sola ... 562247.php

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » April 2nd, 2019, 1:46 pm

Already had a decent amount of attention on Minneapolis during the NCAA Tournament. Beginning to really ramp up this week. Nice article from USA Today on transformation of Downtown East since the last Final Four it hosted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 335660002/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

Nice way to compare, the difference between the two Final Fours. They could have used aerial imagery of the area for maximum impact.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 2nd, 2019, 5:13 pm

Weird. That reporter has the same name as the NCAA president. Kind of random.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 6th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Silly stuff, but in spite of Shazam being set in Philadelphia, the Sivana company HQ is the IDS Center.

Clear as day a two second scene of downtown Minneapolis with the Sivana logo on top of the IDS building.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » April 7th, 2019, 9:58 am

I like it! Continuing with the movie references, I watched Space Jam for the first time in a while last night and was excited to see Bill Murray represent his part ownership and wear a St. Paul Saints hat at the end of the film.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » April 7th, 2019, 11:02 am

Silly stuff, but in spite of Shazam being set in Philadelphia, the Sivana company HQ is the IDS Center.

Clear as day a two second scene of downtown Minneapolis with the Sivana logo on top of the IDS building.
I noticed the Minneapolis shot with the IDS but what I screamed out loud was when they said that the young man who plays Shazam's younger self was born in Zumbrota, MN got me. Then on the way home I remembered that one of the creators of Shazam was born in Zumbrota, which is where I was born and raised.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Another of those national rankings. The US News & World Report ranking on 125 best places to live in the United States.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

The Twin Cities come in at 6th, behind Des Moines at 5th and ahead of San Francisco at 7th, Portland 8th, Seattle 9th. (Austin, TX is 1st, and Denver 2nd)