Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Silophant » July 11th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Not specific retail news, but the Solhem people that presented the Grumpy's project to the DMNA last night mentioned that three (of the five?) walk-up live-work spaces in Borealis (along 8th) have in fact been rented for commerical use. Which makes me feel better about the live-work spaces we're starting to see in other projects along streets I had wished would have stayed commercial. Like the City Club Apartments along Marquette, for example.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 12th, 2018, 8:28 am

Too bad the middle chunk of Washington from about Hennepin to 5th Ave was completely wiped of its original small scale fabric that supports this kind of retail. Oh well, we're going in the right direction.
Tear. Down. The Gateway. Again.

But more realistically, every single building along Washington between Hennepin and 3rd Ave S needs the Penney's treatment.

I would fully support the City giving financial incentives (grants, tax abatement, etc.) to get more Penney's-like additions to this specific stretch of Washington.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 12th, 2018, 8:50 am

Too bad the middle chunk of Washington from about Hennepin to 5th Ave was completely wiped of its original small scale fabric that supports this kind of retail. Oh well, we're going in the right direction.
Tear. Down. The Gateway. Again.

But more realistically, every single building along Washington between Hennepin and 3rd Ave S needs the Penney's treatment.

I would fully support the City giving financial incentives (grants, tax abatement, etc.) to get more Penney's-like additions to this specific stretch of Washington.
Totally agree. I have a friend that lives at Latitude 45 and walking to his place from the bus is just a wasteland.

The Depot doesn't help much either. Imagine if we could move the farmers market there.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 12th, 2018, 9:36 am

There's been construction going in inside the train shed recently, I think for event space? I'm pretty sure it's historically protected, and legitimately so, but man it would be nice to not have it there.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 12th, 2018, 11:16 am

The worst is the Wells Fargo Operations Center. If that thing could get razed, I'd be delighted.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 12th, 2018, 11:39 am

Yeah, the Depot shed is being enclosed and converted into event space. Better than parking, I guess...

The Crossings actually has a little storefront space on Washington that's been occupied by the MEDA offices for forever (without ever opening their blinds), but they're moving, so I guess there's a chance that'll sell to someone that would have an actual storefront. Probably not though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 12th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Not specific retail news, but the Solhem people that presented the Grumpy's project to the DMNA last night mentioned that three (of the five?) walk-up live-work spaces in Borealis (along 8th) have in fact been rented for commerical use. Which makes me feel better about the live-work spaces we're starting to see in other projects along streets I had wished would have stayed commercial. Like the City Club Apartments along Marquette, for example.
http://mspmag.com/shop-and-style/northe ... is-moving/

Hazel and Rose is one of the businesses moving in to Borealis

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Qhaberl » March 5th, 2019, 10:39 pm

I just moved to downtown Minneapolis from uptown. Went over to the CVS at 11th and Hennepin this evening to get a few things. I was speaking with someone who works there, and they told me the CVS will be closing on March 31. The same person also told me that the CVS over on, I believe it’s Portland and ninth, will be closing in a few months. Anyone have any info about this?

The person I spoke with told me that whomever owns the space wants them out one week after they close. That could mean there’s something in the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2019, 11:38 am

Oh wow that would be a huge loss for downtown if both of those CVS stores closed. The Hennepin one I could see having lost a lot of convenience food/drink sales to Lunds over the past 5 years. The closure could be related to CVS taking over Target's pharmacy operations (i.e. the pharmacy at Target is 2 blocks away). Remember, the Dinkytown CVS (in Sydney Hall) closed shortly after the miniTarget opened nearby.

But the Skyscape location would seem to still not have a ton of competition (nor would there seem to high demand for another user to come along and pay high rent for that space). If anything, the Skyscape location has more potential customers than ever, with the K-A/HQ block and all the other residential development nearby.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 6th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Went into the Skyscape location for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Midday on a Saturday, it was completely dead.
Towns!

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 6th, 2019, 2:35 pm

The CVS on Hennepin is consistently terrible. I stopped going there.

If there are two people in line you'll wait for over 10 minutes. Many toiletries are locked up and you need a staff member to unlock it adding more time. I wouldn't be surprised if this one closes.

The CVS on Portland doesn't have any other stores around. I'd be surprised if they closed this one.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 6th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Bizjournals confirms it. I'm also surprised the Portland location is closing - the east half of downtown will be even more of a wasteland, even as the residential population continues to grow.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 6th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Wow, pretty surprising the Skyscape one is closing, it's consistently busy whenever I go there. This will be a big negative for the neighborhood. Although maybe not surprising considering the sign in the dairy section today:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 6th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Unlocked- https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... uding.html

Hennepin for sure, conflicting reports on Skyscape.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby lorwest » March 6th, 2019, 11:15 pm

Wow, pretty surprising the Skyscape one is closing, it's consistently busy whenever I go there. This will be a big negative for the neighborhood. Although maybe not surprising considering the sign in the dairy section today:

Oof, clearly an asset to the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 7th, 2019, 10:47 am

Wild. Even with these, downtown has always seemed weirdly short on pharmacies. There is a CVS on literally nearly every street in downtown DC.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 7th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Felony shoplifting requires $1000 worth of goods to be stolen. Has someone really stolen $1000 worth of milk?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 7th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Yes, but how much for feloney shoplifting? ;)

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » March 13th, 2019, 9:59 am

It looks like the Hotel Minneapolis is finishing its renovation and re-branding/re-opening April 3rd as the Hotel Emery (still a Marriot Autograph Collection property).

The renovation also includes a new restaurant, Giulia, replacing Restaurant Max and a Spyhouse Coffee location.

https://www.hotelfandb.com/articles/275 ... e-and-more
https://twincities.eater.com/2019/3/11/ ... inneapolis

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 13th, 2019, 10:40 am

I guess a noticed has been placed on the door of the W. Broadway CVS. The closures may be widespread perhaps.