City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 11:55 am

The only ones that I know of that eat out nightly are single or couples without kids.
Whom do you think these micro apartments are aimed at?

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » March 19th, 2019, 12:31 pm

No, I get that. But I would still think that people would want to be able to occasionally bake cookies or make pizza rolls or something.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 19th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Yeah, no oven is kind of wack.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 19th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Few people cook anymore. How many people know how to use an oven today? People order out and reheat leftovers in the microwave. Even people in single family homes with 6-figure kitchens rarely use them.
*Citation needed.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 19th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Yeah, no oven is kind of wack.
This. I must not have the right kind of single professional friends because all the ones I know still use an oven.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 19th, 2019, 1:37 pm

FWIW, I lived in a loft studio with a small kitchen (not as small as these, and it did have an oven) for two years, and used the oven maybe three times in that span? I think I still would have been leery of signing a lease for an apartment that didn't have one at all, but I could easily see someone deciding that they're going to lean into never cooking a full meal and being fine with it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 19th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Just seems like a weird choice, because an oven isn't exactly something that requires cooking/baking skills. A lot of easy-to-make, frozen foods require an oven (or a toaster oven, but those are usually too small for something as simple as a frozen pizza).

I'm not yucking anyone's yum. I'm sure there's a market here. Just seems like a fairly high price for the amount of space.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I've been in some of these studio units, and the thing that would drive me crazy is this:

No sane person is going to sleep on a pull-out mattress for more than a couple of nights, so you're going to have a bed, not a couch, in the middle of your apartment. Which is maybe fine, but if you have guests over, you either stand around, or you sit on your bed. It's weird. Much weirder than not having an oven.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 2:26 pm

In case anyone wants to call out my last sentence about even people in homes with expensive kitchens not cooking:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... -78404050/

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Just seems like a weird choice, because an oven isn't exactly something that requires cooking/baking skills. A lot of easy-to-make, frozen foods require an oven (or a toaster oven, but those are usually too small for something as simple as a frozen pizza).

I'm not yucking anyone's yum. I'm sure there's a market here. Just seems like a fairly high price for the amount of space.
That's the thing. For such a small apartment, an oven takes an enormous amount of space. Cost/benefit.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 2:32 pm

No sane person is going to sleep on a pull-out mattress for more than a couple of nights, so you're going to have a bed, not a couch, in the middle of your apartment. Which is maybe fine, but if you have guests over, you either stand around, or you sit on your bed. It's weird. Much weirder than not having an oven.
It feels like the trend is like the olden pubs of yore, towards smaller homes (apartments, condos, whatever) where people no longer entertain guests, but instead meet friends at a local pub. Entertaining at home was something only the aristocracy did.

"the great British pub is not just a place to drink … It is also a unique social centre, very often the focus of community life in villages, towns and cities"

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/T ... itish-Pub/

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » March 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I can't imagine moving into an apartment like this myself, but I am a part of the minority on the extreme opposite end of behavior. I refused to look at homes or apartments that did not have room for a full dining room table. This might seem strange, but it gets used more often than most would believe.

That said, I have friends that would be completely fine in an apartment without an oven. I don't know if they would want to pay this much for one, but that is another issue.

Thirdly, 6-figure kitchens that never get used (and I have seen many of them) piss me off.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 19th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I've been in some of these studio units, and the thing that would drive me crazy is this:

Don't all the floor plans show Murphy beds?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm

It feels like the trend is like the olden pubs of yore, towards smaller homes (apartments, condos, whatever) where people no longer entertain guests, but instead meet friends at a local pub. Entertaining at home was something only the aristocracy did.
Yeah, there's definitely some truth to that. Unless you're entertaining guests, if you know what I mean.

But even if it's just you in the apartment, you're doing an awful lot of living in your bed. Watching TV, eating, etc. And maybe that's fine, but these are basically glorified hotel rooms.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 19th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Don't all the floor plans show Murphy beds?
They do not.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » March 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Could the microwaves be the combo convection type? Are they included or is there just a spot for one?

Totally agree on trying to sleep on a pull-out sofa. I'd rather install a hammock.

come to think of it...
Urbanist in the north woods

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Thirdly, 6-figure kitchens that never get used (and I have seen many of them) piss me off.
Right?! I’ll gladly take them off their hands.
but these are basically glorified hotel rooms.
Yep, that’s basically the point.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » March 19th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Sexy bath??

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 19th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Sexy bath??
City Club Apartments: They’re Bringing SexyBath.