Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Anondson
IDS Center

Southside - General Topics

Postby Anondson » December 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm

StarTribune on the outcry over pedestrian/car conflicts along the bustling Penn Ave S business districts, and city resistance to do anything more.

http://www.startribune.com/few-solution ... 503413562/

Quite remarkable how the police openly throw their hands up in the air at enforcing anything. Or that the city traffic engineer brushes away dropping speed limits even if the state allowed the city to.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Multimodal » December 24th, 2018, 6:52 am

Well I agree with them that just posting a lower speed limit there won’t make it safer.

But the conversation can’t end there. Surely the city can try some tactical urbanism to force drivers to slow down—add a jog in the street, paint the whole block with stripes to let drivers know that it’s a crossing zone, add a mid-block speed table, etc.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 24th, 2018, 8:20 am

Well I agree with them that just posting a lower speed limit there won’t make it safer.

But the conversation can’t end there. Surely the city can try some tactical urbanism to force drivers to slow down—add a jog in the street, paint the whole block with stripes to let drivers know that it’s a crossing zone, add a mid-block speed table, etc.
I was working at cafe maude when planners came to discuss the reconstruction of 54th, and the owners and managers of the business all vehemently refused anything that would reduce the amount of parking in the area... seems there trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » December 24th, 2018, 9:01 am

Interesting to hear your insider’s take. Thanks.

Sounds like businesses need an education intervention. Do we have a Dream Team?

Only half-kidding. I wonder if city staff (yeah, already overburdened) or commissioners or volunteers could work with local businesses and/or the chamber of commerce to explain benefits of traffic calming, and pedestrian and biking improvements?

What were lessons learned from the 38th St.(?) bicycle lanes and the hubbub over that? How do businesses feel now?

We shouldn’t have to come up with this stuff de novo every time.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 24th, 2018, 3:08 pm

I was working at cafe maude when planners came to discuss the reconstruction of 54th, and the owners and managers of the business all vehemently refused anything that would reduce the amount of parking in the area... seems there trying to have their cake and eat it too.
The same thing happened with business owners at 43rd and Nicollet where Barbara Ann Mahigel was killed while crossing the intersection to celebrate a wedding anniversary at Revival. The city explored refuge islands to facilitate crossing - an option that would have forced right-in-right-out to 43rd, and another option with tiny islands that still allow left turns - but the neighboring businesses freaked at the potential loss of a few parking spots. So 43rd and Nicollet, a corner where Barbara Ann Mahigel died, ended up with a few useless sticks. https://goo.gl/maps/jEGBwMDASH72 More background: https://streets.mn/2016/12/06/a-prevent ... o-mistake/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 26th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Interesting to hear your insider’s take. Thanks.

Sounds like businesses need an education intervention. Do we have a Dream Team?

Only half-kidding. I wonder if city staff (yeah, already overburdened) or commissioners or volunteers could work with local businesses and/or the chamber of commerce to explain benefits of traffic calming, and pedestrian and biking improvements?

What were lessons learned from the 38th St.(?) bicycle lanes and the hubbub over that? How do businesses feel now?

We shouldn’t have to come up with this stuff de novo every time.
We have to come up with stuff de novo because advocates of the status quo believe their situation is different and have no idea that they’re repeating literally exactly what is said in opposition to every safety improvement everywhere.

In their defense, they just aren’t paying attention. In a huge indictment of our (old) leaders, they lack the fortitude to tell them that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 8th, 2019, 8:54 pm

One on One Bike Shop & Cafe is leaving North Loop and reopening in the former Minnehaha Falls Nursery at Minnehaha Ave & 45th St
FB announcement: https://m.facebook.com/250147548939/pos ... 188008940/

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 9th, 2019, 5:03 pm

One on One Bike Shop & Cafe is leaving North Loop and reopening in the former Minnehaha Falls Nursery at Minnehaha Ave & 45th St
FB announcement: https://m.facebook.com/250147548939/pos ... 188008940/
Bummer, I didn't know Minnehaha closed.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » March 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Anyone have the scoop on the city's side of this? It doesn't really mention why it must be redone.

Help Bull's Horn build an eco-friendly parking lot, get discounted beer

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/he ... /507664931

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Paving a surface parking lot isn't what comes to mind when I think "eco-friendly a block from a light rail station."

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 26th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Thought maybe they were using permeable asphalt or something, but doesn't sound like it.

On streetview it looks like it's essentially gravel now (broken old asphalt?). Don't think gravel is allowed, even though it's permeable and preferable in my view to concrete or asphalt as long as it isn't running off.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 26th, 2019, 2:08 pm

From the City Pages article:
...Installing a rain garden, cisterns, and permeable surfaces is going to cost the bar about $114,000. So, last week, they launched a GoFundMe campaign...

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 26th, 2019, 3:01 pm

From the Go Fund Me (https://www.gofundme.com/bull039s-horn-beer-for-water):
he Details
Total Project Cost: $114,000

1) Rain garden to treat parking lot and roof runoff.

2) Two above ground 500 gallon cisterns. A pump will allow for the harvested rainwater to be used for the rain garden and plantings thus conserving potable water.

3) Permeable Pavers at two stalls alongside the cisterns.

4) Concrete Rumble Strip at the entrance of the parking lot to migrate parking lot overflow into the rain garden.

5) Paving the lot.

6) Concrete for patio, garbage enclosure, and building doorways as well as fencing for garbage enclosure.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 26th, 2019, 3:17 pm

That’s a tiny parking lot, in a mostly residential area. Too bad they couldn’t‘ve turned it into a green outdoor seating area (like W.A. Frost).

I assume there’s plenty of parking available on local streets. Mpls doesn’t require them to have onsite parking, do they?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Since gravel/dirt isn't a permitted surface, I'm curious how they were allowed to open while leaving the parking lot as dirt/mud for an entire year. That would seem to be a required punchlist item before the city would give them an occupancy permit, at least it certainly would have been in the 'burb I work for. I'm guessing that since this wasn't new construction, and the 'gap' between Sunrise Inn closing and Bull's Horn opening was maybe less than a year, the city lacked any legal 'teeth' to make them do it.

EDIT: I'm not sure if any parking would be required. Remember that this building is home to more than just Bull's Horn. It's them, their commercial kitchen space (rented out to food trucks, etc...maybe not counted separately), the SENA neighborhood office, and a barbershop. I'd be a little surprised if all of that didn't come with some amount of required parking (at least under current ordinances, maybe none would be required after the upcoming code rewrites).

But yes there is plenty of parking available on nearby streets, and I agree it would be much cooler if they just turned it into a larger seating area and planted trees, etc. Anecdotally, area street parking is utilized a lot more heavily with Bull's Horn vs. the previous Sunrise Inn. It got a little narrow for buses to pass by on 34th Ave this winter.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 26th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Seems like Mpls site plan enforcement has no teeth... Another example. Ken and Norm's liquor at 48th and Chicago. They received site plan approval for a large walk-in cooler expansion which has now been in use for over two years. Yet there's still no fence or wall separating pedestrians on the public sidewalk from motorists backing out of parking spaces, an original condition of approval. https://goo.gl/maps/9AsUCzZuDoD2

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 26th, 2019, 9:53 pm

K&N did do a little work making the lot nicer somewhat recently. It doesn’t look like the street view any more. But yes, it was nothing but asphalt for a looooong time.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 5th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Factual, informative posts on NextDoor? That’s new.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southside - General Topics

Postby Anondson » April 11th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Center for Performing arts at 38th and Pleasant proposing to add a 4 story expansion.
https://twitter.com/nickmagrino/status/ ... 0004691970

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » April 13th, 2019, 10:34 am

Five Watt empire continues to expand. Looks like they're taking over the former Vicinity space at 34th and Lyndale (based on signs in the windows).