Brainstorming: reimagine Franklin Avenue between Hennepin and Bloomington

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Brainstorming: reimagine Franklin Avenue between Hennepin and Bloomington

Postby Qhaberl » May 31st, 2019, 6:15 am

I have been reading a lot about the use and implementation of form based code. Within these readings, I picked up information about different Corredor projects.

Franklin Avenue is definitely an urban corridor. If my understanding is correct, Franklin Avenue is also a county or state road. This means that the reconfiguration/reconstruction is not entirely in the cities hands, if in the cities hands at all.

Are used to work in the area. My place of employment was near where Franklin intersects with Stevens. Walking along Franklin Avenue was never pleasant. Cars travel extremely fast and close to the curb.

Initial questions:
Are there any studies being done about the possible reconstruction/reconfiguration of Franklin Avenue?

How wide are the travel lanes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Brainstorming: reimagine Franklin Avenue between Hennepin and Bloomington

Postby Qhaberl » May 31st, 2019, 6:31 am

Along with thinking about reimagining Franklin Avenue, here are some screenshots of some places along the Corredor that could be re-developed. It would be really cool to see a form based overlay District along Franklin Avenue. This type of overlay District, or zone, depending on how you look at it, would dictate exactly how the buildings relate to the street. No more massive parking lots facing Franklin.
Add housing or townhomes to the parking lot south of Plymouth Congregational Church.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 7a6af0.jpg[/IMG]

Redevelop the gas station at the south west corner of third Avenue and Franklin Avenue.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... bed5d4.jpg[/IMG]

I like how the Wendy’s comes directly up to Franklin on the north and third on the west. Would be nice to put some single-family houses directly facing Franklin in the parking lot.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 3bd571.jpg[/IMG]

Have yet to figure out how in the world this lot has been developed. The lot is located north of Franklin Avenue and east of park avenue.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... a6941f.jpg[/IMG]

Let’s put these businesses into a mixed use building. This would eliminate the parking lot and bring more high density to a transit corridor. The parking lot is currently located just west of Chicago Avenue and north of Franklin.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 2b758d.jpg[/IMG]

I don’t even know what to say about this. The parking lot for the dollar store just south of Franklin Avenue. An absolute eyesore.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 0d02db.jpg[/IMG]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 31st, 2019, 6:32 am

Along with thinking about reimagining Franklin Avenue, here are some screenshots of some places along the Corredor that could be re-developed. It would be really cool to see a form based overlay District along Franklin Avenue. This type of overlay District, or zone, depending on how you look at it, would dictate exactly how the buildings relate to the street. No more massive parking lots facing Franklin.
Add housing or townhomes to the parking lot south of Plymouth Congregational Church.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 7a6af0.jpg[/IMG]

Redevelop the gas station at the south west corner of third Avenue and Franklin Avenue.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... bed5d4.jpg[/IMG]

I like how the Wendy’s comes directly up to Franklin on the north and third on the west. Would be nice to put some single-family houses directly facing Franklin in the parking lot.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 3bd571.jpg[/IMG]

Have yet to figure out how in the world this lot has been developed. The lot is located north of Franklin Avenue and east of park avenue.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... a6941f.jpg[/IMG]

Let’s put these businesses into a mixed use building. This would eliminate the parking lot and bring more high density to a transit corridor. The parking lot is currently located just west of Chicago Avenue and north of Franklin.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 2b758d.jpg[/IMG]

I don’t even know what to say about this. The parking lot for the dollar store just south of Franklin Avenue. An absolute eyesore.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 0d02db.jpg[/IMG]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 31st, 2019, 6:34 am

I realize that these types of redevelopment take time, but let’s take the time now to think about what we want this area to look like in 20 years.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » June 7th, 2019, 3:25 pm

That Aldi/Dollar Tree would love to see that space redevelop into say a Hyvee with underground parking and maybe even several floors of apartments!

Would love to see bike lanes on 19th on the west end and on 21st on the east end with a crossover at Peavey park. That way no bikes on franklin ave as it’s pretty dangerous imo.

And long term either streetcar line or rapid bus line from kenwood park (ok fine 21st station) to prospect park. Oh and wider sidewalks and traffic calming.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 10th, 2019, 8:42 am

What does Mpls2040 have to say about Franklin in terms of zoning?

Have any transportation comments been submitted as Mpls is looking at transportation now for the Comp Plan?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm

“Corridor 6
The Corridor 6 district is typically applied along high frequency transit routes as well as in areas near METRO stations.

Built Form Guidance: New and remodeled buildings in the Corridor 6 district should reflect a variety of building types on both moderate and large sized lots. Building heights should be 2 to 6 stories. Building heights should be at least 2 stories in order to best take advantage of the access to transit, jobs, and goods and services provided by the Corridor 6 district. Requests to exceed 6 stories will be evaluated on the basis of whether or not a taller building is a reasonable means for further achieving Comprehensive Plan goals.”

Taken from the Minneapolis 2040 webpage

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 10th, 2019, 9:46 pm

To me, this goes to show that Minneapolis is starting to transition to more of a form based code. I wish the guidance help more with where parking should be located on the lots. Franklin Avenue is faced by too many parking lots.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 11th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Here are some very rough measurements I took using Google maps. The measurements were taken along Franklin Avenue between first avenue and Stevens Avenue

Approximate street width of 43 feet.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201906 ... 2bbfd2.jpg[/IMG]

Sidewalk along north side of Franklin is approximately 3 feet wide
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201906 ... 71159c.jpg[/IMG]

Sidewalk along southern side is a little over 6 feet wide
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201906 ... f2554e.jpg[/IMG]