800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Re: 800 Washington Ave - 14 stories - 173' (Guthrie Ramp liner development: Reloaded)

Postby luigipaladio » June 10th, 2019, 11:57 pm

Thanks for the reports on all of these projects. This one holds great potential to really add some spice to the cityscape. It is great that they have opted to use the Guthrie ramp for parking access. The trip down Washington from 35W to the end of the North Loop is getting more and more interesting.

On 800 are they still planning to use the “self cleaning” panels on the exterior?

Silophant

Re: 800 Washington Ave - 14 stories - 173' (Guthrie Ramp liner development: Reloaded)

Postby Silophant » June 11th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Yes, the bio-concrete is still in the mix. On a similar note, they mentioned that the green roof and all the garden alcoves mean that there will actually be more square feet of vegetation on the site when it's complete than there is now, as an empty grass lot.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » June 11th, 2019, 10:15 pm

That's great! I've seen some applications of the bio-concrete and the stuff looks great. The thought of all of those vegetated alcoves and the green roof just makes me happy. I hope they have some good resources on the ideal plantings for all of that. This building has me a lot more excited than !!. !! is a deep bow to past history, and 800 Washington is a look to a possible future. I don't mind bows to history here and there, and I certainly appreciate the whole historic preservation movement, but it will be good to see something come out of the ground that is truly forward directed and experimenting.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 13th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Wow.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 13th, 2019, 3:33 pm

This is definitely one of the best projects in the city, in so many ways.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 13th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » June 13th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Niiiiice! Love those small retail spaces. This one keeps getting better.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » June 13th, 2019, 8:48 pm

It's still a good project, but I like the look of the shorter, original building better. It's a little too massive and bulky for me now.

On the plus side, I like all the retail spaces. And it kept the pocket garden/green spaces.

On the negative side, half the units on levels 4 and 5 look directly into the parking ramp (15 feet away, at least they should get some light). Also, the parking being connected to the city-owned Guthrie ramp is aesthetically nice, but will be frustrating for residents depending on when they want to arrive or leave. When a show lets out, people can sit in that ramp for 15-30 minutes trying to leave. I guess if you lived there you would learn to time your exits.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » June 13th, 2019, 9:33 pm

This one bodes well for Aecom’s future work here! Hope they can get the St Paul project up and running!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 13th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Do it do it do it. Now. Approve. Go.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 14th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Critiques:
- 3 bedroom layouts are not good, bordering on bad.
-Retail entrances should be inset. Not only does it offer slight protection from the elements, it is more inviting. The design offers nothing at street-level other than a flat glass plane.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » June 15th, 2019, 11:15 am

The SW facing multi story indoor winter garden is gonna be super sweet. Glad to see larger units proposed but yep, those 3-bed layouts just hurt to look at.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 17th, 2019, 3:42 pm

This is interesting. I like that.

Maybe it's because I'm middle aged, but I think about risks of ownership in this building. How well tested are all these interesting elements? It says "Condominium" so I'm assuming these are owner-occupied units, and it's a lot to ask a pool of random somebodies to invest their money in something that could be very expensive to maintain. I'd be worried about how they're going to control all the moisture that will be introduced into the structure. It's not hard for companies that want to demonstrate their green credentials to manage the maintenance on expensive commercial buildings with green roofs, etc., but what about a HOA in a relatively small mixed-use building? I worry that the building will deteriorate quickly due to an HOA being unwilling to tackle the huge costs of maintaining a building with complex and expensive ongoing maintenance needs.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 17th, 2019, 3:54 pm

This is interesting. I like that.

Maybe it's because I'm middle aged, but I think about risks of ownership in this building. How well tested are all these interesting elements? It says "Condominium" so I'm assuming these are owner-occupied units, and it's a lot to ask a pool of random somebodies to invest their money in something that could be very expensive to maintain. I'd be worried about how they're going to control all the moisture that will be introduced into the structure. It's not hard for companies that want to demonstrate their green credentials to manage the maintenance on expensive commercial buildings with green roofs, etc., but what about a HOA in a relatively small mixed-use building? I worry that the building will deteriorate quickly due to an HOA being unwilling to tackle the huge costs of maintaining a building with complex and expensive ongoing maintenance needs.

Thanks for the insight! It’s definitely good that we think about these things. All really good questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 17th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Also, the 3-bedroom layouts make me think of Metric's "Satellite Mind".

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » June 17th, 2019, 11:11 pm

The concerns about the unique features of this building are certainly legitimate. The cantilever on the west end of the building will create heating issues for the units directly above it. Our freeze thaw cycles will put any containment system for all of the greenery to a hard test. Even the winter garden will bring in humidity control issues, all of which could have expensive consequences for the homeowners.

I live in a condo with relatively few amenities. I am also president of the HOA board and am painfully aware of how quickly costs for seemingly minor problems can escalate into financial disasters, especially in matters involving water and the physical fabric of the building.

On the other hand, technologies for roof gardens , green roofs, and container grown trees have advanced dramatically in recent years. “Green walls” and other types of indoor gardens have become much less experimental. I would guess that the addition of six floors to the original plan was at least partially influenced by the need to spread the risks of the features over a broader field. The floor devoted to office sosc3 and the first floor commercial spaces give this building an advantage over ordinary condominium buildings that are entirely made up of residential units

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » June 23rd, 2019, 9:13 am

I really like having something unique from any other project in town. Glad they are trying something new. But a few concerns, as BBMplsMN stated, access via Guthrie ramp could be awful. I used to live in what is now called Bolero Flats across from the Orchestra Hall which has shared ramp access through the 11th and Marq ramp. You could easily be trapped for 20+ minutes after concerts, and the timing of when shows get out varies, so it isn't always predictable. The windows for the north side 4th floor units are really bizarre. Several are directly behind columns and another window is aligned with the elevator shaft, even when window placement, as viewed from the exterior, seems random, which you would assume is for the benefit of interior views. But actually, one studio unit's only window is directly behind a column. I guess if you are only looking at the parking ramp anyway... its like the designer was thinking they don't need a window at all.

Controlling water penetration looks like a huge challenge. I hope the project is successful- we really need more creativity in building design. Some of the challenges they have created should be easy fixes (thoughtful window placement), but others- potential water intrusion and actually keeping the plants alive and healthy in recessed spaces will be difficult. Good luck to the team!

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » July 2nd, 2019, 10:21 am

Where is this in the approval process?

digdugsmug
Block E

Postby digdugsmug » December 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Its not dead yet, AECOM is looking to get an extension: