Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Qhaberl » May 21st, 2019, 6:15 am

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, the track being delivered in this video is for the relocated freight rail, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 24th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Weekly Construction Update

Looks like most of the initial heavy construction is focused on the Eden Prairie end of the line, including demolition of the old Culver's at SW Station, and starting work on the bridge over 494.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » June 21st, 2019, 9:29 am

In case anyone was confused (like me), I sent an email to someone on the SWLRT team inquiring about the status of the EP Town Center station. I had heard through media reports that the City of Eden Prairie had contributed funds to include the station during construction and be ready when the line opens, but most (all?) of the documents on the SWLRT website list the station as "Future".

SWLRT staff confirmed that EP contributed sufficient funds to allow the station to open with the rest of the line.
The City of Eden Prairie is allocating money supplementing a grant the City received to have the Town Center Station constructed. Before this grant the station was listed as “deferred”. That meant SWLRT project office would install the infrastructure for the station during the construction of the alignment. When the money for the station became available the station would be added later.

In short, Town Center Station is being built concurrently with the other stations in the alignment over the next three years. If online documents do not reflect this they have not been updates.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 21st, 2019, 9:31 am

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering about that too.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 21st, 2019, 11:21 am

In case anyone was confused (like me), I sent an email to someone on the SWLRT team inquiring about the status of the EP Town Center station. I had heard through media reports that the City of Eden Prairie had contributed funds to include the station during construction and be ready when the line opens, but most (all?) of the documents on the SWLRT website list the station as "Future".

SWLRT staff confirmed that EP contributed sufficient funds to allow the station to open with the rest of the line.
Oh yes, they've already been working on construction there, SW Station & Golden Triangle.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 12th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Bridge over Louisiana Ave will be demo’d as part of SWLRT work. Louisiana closes on July 17 for demo.

https://twitter.com/stlouispark/status/ ... 1287161856

Stupid detours that no one who knows the area will drive are offered.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » July 12th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Looking at the detour offered, 10 bucks says most people will use Blake Rd instead

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 12th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Looking at the detour offered, 10 bucks says most people will use Blake Rd instead
Or Alabama.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 12th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Detours from states and counties are reliably dumb, because they are required to use state or county roads and work for both cars and trucks. At a certain level, they're not really even intended for locals.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 7th, 2019, 8:57 am

A cyclist taking the detour for the Cedar Lake to the path past the Sculpture Garden was hit by a car yesterday minorly. He seemed okay, but shaken. I think the car was going through the light or doing a right turn onto Lyndale. The intersection was Oak Grove St and Lyndale/Hennepin.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » August 7th, 2019, 11:46 am

The intersection was Oak Grove St and Lyndale/Hennepin.
I had a coworker get hit walking at the same intersection to the bus back in May. The city really needs to prioritize peds + bikes over fast turning cars at that intersection!

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 3rd, 2019, 12:46 pm

This is interesting and I wonder who is paying for it and what would have happened if SWLRT wasn't a thing. From the SLWRT 8/30/19 update.

"Cedar Lake Channel: Upcoming Night Work Urgent repair work is needed on the Cedar Lake Freight Bridge to keep it in service until a new bridge is constructed as part of the Southwest LRT project. As an aging bridge, it has been inspected frequently. During the latest inspection, it was determined repair work is needed immediately to install new pile supports and a cap beam. Work to repair the bridge is beginning the afternoon of Friday, August 30. This work will be conducted quickly but it is likely crews will need to work into the night. We anticipate pile driving could last until 10:00 PM; final repair work may continue until approximately 12:00 AM. During the final two hours of work there may be equipment noise and lights. Thank you for your patience as we complete this urgent work. During this time flaggers will remain at the channel to direct waterway traffic. "

https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... pdate.aspx

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 3rd, 2019, 1:12 pm

It is worth learning why this was missed until now as a thing that had to be done?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » September 3rd, 2019, 1:38 pm

I kayaked under the bridge on Friday afternoon. They were definitely working in the area around the old bridge and doing some piledriving, but it was difficult to see exactly what they were working on.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » September 3rd, 2019, 1:43 pm

This is interesting and I wonder who is paying for it and what would have happened if SWLRT wasn't a thing.
I´m gonna guess the bridge would of been repaired eventually but but it would depend on how good TC&W are usually with keeping their tracks in decent condition. As for why there doing it as soon as possible, it might have to do with the whole tunnels/bridge mess in the Kenilworth corridor and them not being sure the bridge is a hundred percent safe when heavy construction starts

Also glad they cleared up the whole Blake/Excelsior closers since just from seeing the road closing signs the past few days I was a bit worried they would have both closed at the same time which would of been a bit of a hot mess.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 4th, 2019, 8:16 am

I had wondered about that bridge. Do we know how old it is? Wooden piers sitting in water can't be great.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 4th, 2019, 8:38 am

When was the channel built? That should tell you when the bridge was built. The rail line itself was built in the 1870s.

It’s at least 80 years old as I see it looking at 1938 aerial images.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 4th, 2019, 8:44 am

Well, there's always the chance it was replaced at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » September 4th, 2019, 2:56 pm

For those interested in photos, here are almost daily updates on the construction progress:

https://chaddavis.photography/Projects/SouthwestLRT/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 4th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Very nice!