Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Development & RR Corridor/MinHi Line

Postby Anondson » April 29th, 2019, 9:11 am

From the image in the story, if it’s accurate, the Nokomis mill looks like it’s at the corner of 35th and Hiawatha.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » April 29th, 2019, 9:23 am

I checked the county property tax website, and really hope the image is wrong... hoping the "Nokomis Mill" is the one between 37th and 38th street. Hayes Harlow already owns the parcel to the east across the tracks. Having this ADM parcel available (the one bounded by 37th, the tracks, 38th, and Hiawatha) could help push development of both parcels, and maybe the commercial parcel available on the south side of 38th street. But if the image in correct, and it is the ADM parcel bounded by 35th street, the tracks, 36th street and Hiawatha, I can't imagine much would be done with it until GM vacates their parcel, which I have not heard is going to happen anytime soon.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 29th, 2019, 9:31 am

It's weird that article says they're a half mile apart, because they're much closer than that: "...Atkinson Mill and Nokomis Mill, located at 3745 and 3501 Hiawatha Ave, respectively." http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... ity-alive/

This has interesting implications for extending the greenway over the river, as a while ago it was reported that ADM was one of two remaining customers for that rail line. When I had to wait for a train the other day, it looked like every car belong to ADM.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 29th, 2019, 9:39 am

... I can't imagine much would be done with it until GM vacates their parcel, which I have not heard is going to happen anytime soon.
If it's true that only ADM (and, at the time a metal recycler) is/was the only remaining train customer, I wonder what, if anything, GM is doing at this property.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm

From this F&C article: "ADM isn’t pulling out of Minneapolis entirely. The company will keep operating and is investing in improvements at its Atkinson flour mill, just south of Nokomis at 3745 Hiawatha Ave., Cuddy said. Both are served by the same rail line."

I'm guessing the Atkinson mill is higher capacity, more recently updated, etc. Because otherwise, I'm sure we'd all prefer that be the one to get redeveloped sooner, being located right at 38th & Hiawatha.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 30th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Darnit, my faith in the factual reporting capabilities of Baking Business dot com has been thoroughly undermined.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 5th, 2019, 8:22 am

Looks like the Council approved this in April.

John21
Rice Park

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby John21 » May 21st, 2019, 9:45 am

‘Extremely affordable’ housing project planned at 45th and Hiawatha
The five-story, 53,950 square-foot building will sit on one acre. It will include 80 efficiency units that range from 418 to 518 square feet. A parking lot will have 40 spaces, or about a half space per unit, and there will be inside storage for bicycles. One-third of the property will be green space along what planners hope will soon be the Min Hi Line linear park.
This one got the country grant they were seeking- (unlocked) https://finance-commerce.com/2019/05/af ... ongfellow/

squrtis
City Center

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby squrtis » June 5th, 2019, 6:11 am

More details on the proposed development at 46th St and Minnehaha Ave!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uml6m88olugkl ... e.pdf?dl=0
Fences around this property as I drove by this morning.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » July 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm

The Acme Foundry at 3161 Hiawatha (NE corner of 32nd and Hiawatha) is for sale! Hopefully to be developed into something, too bad that long strip of land with dirt piles isn't part of this property...

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3161-Hi ... Q5G7_nYWdE

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » July 13th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Would be great to see something cool go in there. Great opportunity for some sort of adaptive reuse project.

twincitizen

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby twincitizen » September 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

the Starbucks and Domino's proposal (4159 Hiawatha / Wash Me site) was pulled by the developer after significant concerns were raised by residents, neighborhood associations (LCC & SENA), and the Planning Commission. The developer has since decided to pursue a mixed-use building that includes 40-units of housing, eliminates one of the drive-thrus, and hides the other behind and under the building; it is a dramatic improvement, and can be described as going from a suburban design to urban design (more details will be posted to my Facebook page when available).
Here's the packet. 43 units, 20 surface parking spaces - all listed as short-term for the Starbucks/Dominos, not for the apartments.

Also, maybe I just don't get it because I'm not a coffee drinker, but holy crap are they putting a lot of effort into getting a drive-through to work.
Just saw a Facebook post by LCC stating that the proposal for two single-story drive-thru buildings is back again. For those that were paying attention last year, the applicant was quite up front that the 4-story mixed-use proposal (which was approved) had no timeline or financial backing. They presented it as if they were going to try to get it financed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they only spent the money on those plans just so they could say "see, we tried and couldn't find anyone to finance it, so that's why we're back with the shitty drive-thru idea"

https://longfellow.org/2019/09/06/publi ... watha-ave/

Looks like it's going to Planning Commission on Monday 9/23, 4:30pm. I'd like to imagine this will have a tough time getting approved, but who knows... What's the status on the drive-thru ban? Was that just at Planning Commission or did the final ordinance language actually get adopted by the City Council? Based on the news reporting, I had assumed the latter, that the ordinance was already in effect.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Drive-throughs are banned as of August 8th. However, if their application was deemed complete before then, they proceed through regulatory review under the previous regulation. I'm not sure if there's any way for the public to find out when the application was deemed complete. Hopefully not way back with the initial proposal - I think the CPC would have a hard time denying a drive-through in an I1 zone without the blanket ban.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 6th, 2019, 1:31 pm

If the proposal hasn't changed much from the initial version, I think there are enough legitimate concerns with vehicle backups, vehicle-ped conflicts, etc. that the City would still have solid grounds to deny, even if the application was deemed complete before the drive-thru ban went into effect.

Since there hasn't been a Planning Commission meeting in nearly a month, it is entirely possible that the application was complete before the new ordinance took effect. I wouldn't be shocked if they heard about the impending ban and rushed to re-apply before the ordinance got through City Council. Seems increasingly clear that they had little to no intent of actually building the mixed-use proposal.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 8th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Drive-throughs are banned as of August 8th. However, if their application was deemed complete before then, they proceed through regulatory review under the previous regulation. I'm not sure if there's any way for the public to find out when the application was deemed complete. Hopefully not way back with the initial proposal - I think the CPC would have a hard time denying a drive-through in an I1 zone without the blanket ban.
It’ll say on the bottom of the first page of the staff report when that’s posted.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » September 8th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I think they could find plenty to deny this project. The proposed Uhaul project just across the street, which was also very auto oriented, was just recently denied.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 18th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Here's the packet. Application deemed complete July 30th, so the drive-through is all theirs. Bizarrely, the plan is to literally just build the first floor of the previously approved project, with extra-strong footings so up to nine floors of apartments can be built on top later.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 18th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Gotta say, considering this is a Starbucks drive through, it's not too bad. Fully screened from Hiawatha, the drive-through mess fully on the site property, one curb cut on 42nd. Seems fine.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I don't think I've seen a drive through screened from the street like that before. Has anyone else?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 18th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Gotta love condition #6 to make sure they aren't just bullshitting their way into only building the Starbucks drive-thru:
"No business licenses shall be issued for the proposed coffee shop until the liner building fronting
Hiawatha Avenue and 42nd Street is constructed." Kudos to city staff for thinking that one up! I have no doubt they would try to get out of building anything but the Starbucks (and Dominos, if that's what the "restaurant" building is).

I have precisely zero expectation that the housing will ever get built. Honestly, you're living in fantasy land if you believe that it will. But if the office building actually gets built as shown on plans, this isn't half bad for a retail development in this location. You do have to have realistic expectations for a site that is over 1/2 mile from a light rail station, on the wrong side of Hiawatha Ave, mostly surrounded by dilapidated/vacant industrial wasteland. This will honestly be a halfway decent complement to the liquor store / day care (?) building adjacent to the north. That said, I am extremely skeptical that they will actually construct the office space as shown here, especially the long skinny leg that extends up Hiawatha screening the drive-thru. I'm 100% certain the developer is going to pull back on some of it. Going back to the first sentence in my post, I think the wording of that condition requiring the liner building should be made even more specific to ensure the city doesn't get duped.