Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby CalMcKenney » July 30th, 2019, 8:18 am

Interesting. I'm moving into Uptown in 2 weeks at Flux apartments and the parking was not included, and it was an additional $125/mo. Every other apartment in that area had parking cost extra and all had full parking garages. One of the interesting things happening with my age group (I'm 22) is a lot of us are reverse commuting i.e. living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs for work. This means that most people around these areas still feel the need to own cars as the public transit out to the suburbs isn't attractive for a variety of reasons. I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Cambourine
Block E

Postby Cambourine » July 30th, 2019, 9:16 am

Interesting. I'm moving into Uptown in 2 weeks at Flux apartments and the parking was not included, and it was an additional $125/mo. Every other apartment in that area had parking cost extra and all had full parking garages. One of the interesting things happening with my age group (I'm 22) is a lot of us are reverse commuting i.e. living in Minneapolis and commuting to the suburbs for work. This means that most people around these areas still feel the need to own cars as the public transit out to the suburbs isn't attractive for a variety of reasons. I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Same boat. I'm 23 and moving to an Uptown apartment in two weeks but I work in Eden Prairie. Having the SWLRT will be phenomenal and likely eliminate my need to own a commuter car. Until then, the pleasure of city living will need to be paired with the burden of car ownership and $150/month for parking.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 30th, 2019, 10:12 am

I think the SWLRT will help a ton with reverse commuters going to work in Eden Prairie and Minnetonka, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Too bad running it directly through Uptown/Whittier was never an option that anyone ever considered

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » July 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm

The principle of induced demand works whenever you provide a good to people for free, or bake the cost into what they are already paying. If you build parking people will fill it. If you don't build parking or charge a separate, market-rate fee for it, people will find alternatives. That's why it's essential to not just reduce minimums, but put pressure on developers to build less parking or unbundle the cost from the rent.
This is very true - my wife and I are moving downtown (CBD) and a single parking spot is $200, 2nd spot is $250. At the cost of a 2nd parking spot along with car payment, insurance, etc. it's way easier to just commute.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby mnmike » August 5th, 2019, 5:39 pm

And it continues to be a sad and disappointing state of affairs with regard to retail in uptown and downtown.

How can we keep adding all of these residents, but we can't seem to support retail? I am not there to see, but Henn and Lake must be looking pretty sad....that is a lot of vacancies within one block each direction.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 5th, 2019, 7:04 pm

With the trend of groceries + housing we’re seeing pop up so much I’m really expecting the Uptown Lund’s to get it. What’s the 2040 proposal for the Lund’s property, 10 stories?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » August 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2019, 9:29 am

Eh, I figured Arc'teryx only moved in to take advantage of the clustering effect with North Face and Columbia, so I expected them to be gone soon after the other two closed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 6th, 2019, 1:29 pm

I doubt that store got a lot of people from outside the immediate area shopping there, which probably hurt it, because it's not the kind of store that local residents would go to often. And Uptown is just not an area that people from outside of it will go to for shopping. There's definitely a strong base there for the right kind of retail, but expensive specialized places like this aren't it. There's a reason why Fjallraven switched to an outlet format for their Uptown store.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 6th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Kind of wild how one of (if the most) cohesive, urban space in Minneapolis in an area packing some of the highest density and near some of the wealthiest areas of town, has so many high-profile vacant spots.

With the exception of Target, has there been a new retail (not service or food) tenant in the area? I'm struggling to think of one in recent memory. Right now, the spaces formerly hosting Heartbreakers, Victoria's Secret, North Face, Columbia, and the failed Calhoun Square corner rehab are empty. Famous Dave's is joining that soon. We're probably not long for Piggy Bank to follow every other restaurant in the Old Chicago space and close.

Uptown isn't dead but...yikes.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 6th, 2019, 4:22 pm

It might just be that the landlords are asking for too much money for the space. This has been an issue in other cities as well -- NYC has double-digit retail vacancies in Manhattan, for example, and it's certainly not an issue of customers having money or population there either. Tenants can only afford so much, especially with costs rising in other areas of their businesses too. Rent is one of the costs over which they have more control, because they can relocate somewhere else if they have to.

Plus, I get the impression that the people who shop/eat/drink in Uptown these days mostly live there or very close by. It's too much of a hassle to deal with otherwise if you don't live in the area. Now, that's still a huge number of people, but it does require the right type of store or restaurant.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 7th, 2019, 7:30 am

Maybe some of these buildings will eventually be taken down and replaced with more mixed use establishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 7th, 2019, 7:48 am

Kind of wild how one of (if the most) cohesive, urban space in Minneapolis in an area packing some of the highest density and near some of the wealthiest areas of town, has so many high-profile vacant spots.

With the exception of Target, has there been a new retail (not service or food) tenant in the area? I'm struggling to think of one in recent memory. Right now, the spaces formerly hosting Heartbreakers, Victoria's Secret, North Face, Columbia, and the failed Calhoun Square corner rehab are empty. Famous Dave's is joining that soon. We're probably not long for Piggy Bank to follow every other restaurant in the Old Chicago space and close.

Uptown isn't dead but...yikes.
The Columbia space is a salon/spa, the North Face is a co-op of some sort. They were building out something in the Victoria's Secret space, so something might be coming there soon? The rest are still vacant, yes.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » August 7th, 2019, 8:42 am

Looks like there will be a webcam for 410 W. Lake:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/Frana

A reminder on the project:

https://www.southwestjournal.com/new...-lake-harriet/

The webcam at the moment is definitely not this area, but image is probably a place holder for now?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 7th, 2019, 10:46 am

I would be 0% mad if the Apple store bailed on Uptown for a Nicollet Mall location. Nicollet is the right place for an Apple store if we’re only going to have one in the city (both would be fine too)

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I would be 0% mad if the Apple store bailed on Uptown for a Nicollet Mall location. Nicollet is the right place for an Apple store if we’re only going to have one in the city (both would be fine too)
While it would make sense in some ways, there's no way they would put one there due to the loss prevention issues they'd have, unfortunately.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

They have downtown stores in other cities. I'm sure they have it figured out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2019, 9:08 pm

While it would make sense in some ways, there's no way they would put one there due to the loss prevention issues they'd have, unfortunately.
uff da

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 8th, 2019, 7:17 am

They have downtown stores in other cities. I'm sure they have it figured out.
Of course. Being in a downtown is not the issue. But not all locations are the same. For some, the benefits will outweigh the challenges. I don't see Nicollet Mall as being one of those places in the same way that, say, Michigan Avenue is.

Edit: My initial assessment of "no way" was too strong. I still don't think they would, but they wouldn't (and shouldn't) reflexively dismiss it.
Last edited by QuietBlue on August 8th, 2019, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 8th, 2019, 7:26 am

uff da
Uff da...what, exactly? Retailers take loss prevention into account when deciding where to locate stores. Theft happens in every store, no matter where it is, but some are more prone to it than others, whether it is due to high traffic, a location that makes it easy, or whatever. Apple doesn't like to take really strong loss prevention measures compared to other retailers, which is fine and understandable. But that doesn't mean they don't take it into consideration. If the benefits of the location don't outweigh the negatives, they won't locate there.