Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » August 12th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Two things that might work in Uptown: Schuler Shoes and DQ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 13th, 2019, 1:10 am

Both would be amazing! Selfishly I would add a Duluth Trading Company.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » August 13th, 2019, 8:29 am

I did a project for Schuler Shoes recently. I can guarantee you, without dedicated, storefront parking it's a nonstarter for them.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2019, 8:46 am

I did a project for Schuler Shoes recently. I can guarantee you, without dedicated, storefront parking it's a nonstarter for them.
I feel like they would get a lot of walk-up business from residents. People underestimate the number of children in the area.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 13th, 2019, 9:34 am

This conversation just reminds me how wild everyone went when someone put up fake Taco Johns announcements at the corner of LynLake. A store selling $400 jackets isn't going to bring regular activity to any neighborhood unless it's already a place people are going to spend thousands like its nothing. As far as I'm concerned, that's never been Uptown. But if someone could afford to fill some gaps in the area (like a good, cheap texmex chain) without being gouged as if they're equivalent to Columbia, I could see that being successful.

If the property owners would stop thinking of themselves as a retail destination and more of a neighborhood retail hub, we'd see a shift toward more vibrancy and less vacancy. But that would involve undoing a generation of the traditional wisdom that Uptown is this huge important hip location that needs destination retail, and a moment of introspection on whether they're leasing their retail space at rates appropriate for whats actually sustainable in Uptown.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » August 13th, 2019, 10:55 am

If the property owners would stop thinking of themselves as a retail destination and more of a neighborhood retail hub, we'd see a shift toward more vibrancy and less vacancy. But that would involve undoing a generation of the traditional wisdom that Uptown is this huge important hip location that needs destination retail, and a moment of introspection on whether they're leasing their retail space at rates appropriate for whats actually sustainable in Uptown.
Exactly. Why would people who don't live in Uptown go there to shop in stores that you can find in suburban malls? Back when Uptown did have destination retail of a sort, it was independent stores and specialized shops you couldn't find elsewhere, most of which couldn't afford to be in Uptown these days, though there are a few left.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: RE: Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby QuietBlue » August 13th, 2019, 10:57 am

I feel like they would get a lot of walk-up business from residents. People underestimate the number of children in the area.
Hmm...maybe a Five Below, then?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby BBMplsMN » August 13th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Anyone have more info about this project. It popped up on my facebook feed today.

https://www.facebook.com/events/430516867555985/
IMPORTANT NEIGHBORHOOD UPDATE: Meeting to determine the fate of The Mall in Uptown TONIGHT!!!

This may be your LAST chance before they start removing the trees and parking spaces along the Mall!!

The Park Board is looking to rush through a decision on removing the historic street "The Mall" in Uptown. This is more than a street, as you see in the picture above it's a beautiful path leading to the chain of Lakes surrounded by some of Uptown's designated historic brown stone apartments. It's used by our friends at Uptown Art Fair "Official" and East Isles Farmers Market.

This plan will include removing all of the large old trees, the parking that the retail workers of Uptown use and the affordable historic apartments use (they have little to no parking since they were built ~1900). This is really sad for Uptown that the minorities agenda is being pushed so they can have a volley ball court a few blocks closer.

Please consider attending this meeting and fighting for Uptown, it's tonight!! They have stacked it with people who support this, lets make sure regular people are being consulted too: Grace Church on 28th at 7 o’clock tonight. If you need transportation I can help, just ping me.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 13th, 2019, 1:07 pm

This conversation just reminds me how wild everyone went when someone put up fake Taco Johns announcements at the corner of LynLake. A store selling $400 jackets isn't going to bring regular activity to any neighborhood unless it's already a place people are going to spend thousands like its nothing. As far as I'm concerned, that's never been Uptown. But if someone could afford to fill some gaps in the area (like a good, cheap texmex chain) without being gouged as if they're equivalent to Columbia, I could see that being successful.

Bingo.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » August 13th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Hmm...maybe a Five Below, then?
I don't think it could be that specialized. There used to be a children's shoe store and it closed. But I literally can't but a pair of sneakers without leaving the area. It's the kind of thing most people won't buy online. A good general shoe store with good service could make it.

I completely agree that tenants need to serve existing residents and not try to be a regional destination. The Target has been pretty successful AFAICT.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » August 13th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Isn't this just the master planning document that covers all of the parks in that service area? I didn't think any of these projects had funding or a timeline for implementation.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 13th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Yes, I think that's true. However, the Mall area appears to have been significantly revised from the original plan, so apparently they got some feedback from somewhere that not everybody agrees with.

I'd tend to agree, at a minimum, that this is a stupid place to put a sand volleyball court.

mplsmatt
Block E

Postby mplsmatt » August 14th, 2019, 8:02 am

The Dunn Bros. on Hennepin and 25&1/2 has closed rather abruptly. Everything is still in there, just some signs taped to the door that they are closing permanently. I live nearby and this location was usually bustling, so I wonder what happened. Hopefully everyone is okay and the space doesn't sit vacant for as long as it did before Dunn Bros. moved in.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » August 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm

http://www.startribune.com/famous-dave- ... 538107212/
In July, the company closed the Calhoun Square location that it had operated since 1996. Originally, it planned to downsize the restaurant to fit into its new smaller footprint of one-third the size of its typical footprint as more customers nationwide choose takeout or delivery than dine-in.

Crivello said the restaurant was operating without a lease for two months and could not get a response to their requests to reconfigure the space. Calhoun Square has been for sale since early this year.

A new location in Uptown is expected to open later this year just a few blocks from the former location, Crivello said, but the plans are not yet final.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » August 14th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Perhaps what needs to happen with Calhoun Square is that the owners end up having to sell the place at a significant loss and a new owner could come in, lower rents and work to draw in more food and entertainment and services useful to the neighborhood. Urban malls like this just don’t have the drawing power they once did and apparently, the restaurant scene is changing as well.

This property might be more valuable as a tear down for redevelopment with significant housing and a less ambitious amount of space for retail and restaurants. Line the sidewalks with shops serving real needs in the neighborhood and some decent eating places and stop trying to be the Uptown scale Mall of America.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 14th, 2019, 1:57 pm

It's kind of wild that the CB2 and LA Fitness corners are entirely new parts of the complex (replacing old buildings) within the past decade. And they don't include a vertical housing or hotel or even office component. In the case of CB2, I seem to recall the previous building had multiple storefronts AND a second floor - so the use we have now is less active and intense than the previous land use.

I don't think the complex needs to go, but it definitely needs to keep moving in the direction of being "less of a mall." Maybe Ackerberg can sell the vacant lot in front of the parking ramp, and focus instead of redeveloping one or two pieces of the site with more intense use.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » August 15th, 2019, 7:47 am

Maybe Ackerberg can sell the vacant lot in front of the parking ramp, and focus instead of redeveloping one or two pieces of the site with more intense use
This whole mall, parking ramp and vacant lot are actually all for sale right now

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 15th, 2019, 8:34 am

It's kind of wild that the CB2 and LA Fitness corners are entirely new parts of the complex (replacing old buildings) within the past decade. And they don't include a vertical housing or hotel or even office component. In the case of CB2, I seem to recall the previous building had multiple storefronts AND a second floor - so the use we have now is less active and intense than the previous land use.
It also had a basement that was once a bar.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 15th, 2019, 4:51 pm

I just heard that the Uptown Lund’s will be undergoing renovation soon. So for any of those of you that had a sliver of hope that maybe one day in the near future they would consider redevelopment or moving into an unannounced mixed use project nearby, those hopes can be put on pause for now. I hope they can at least add some more dignified bike parking.