Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Postby Anondson » September 1st, 2019, 8:17 am

So unfortunate there is no plan to coordinate the breakup of this megablock here. Does Roseville WANT it?

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Re: Roseville / Rosedale - General Topics

Postby pannierpacker » September 19th, 2019, 9:50 pm

It looks like MN-DOT is considering permanent changes to Snelling Ave between County Rd C and 694 in Roseville and Arden Hills. They want to take away access to a couple of non-signalized intersections along the corridor and install a cable median barrier down the middle of the highway. The below document lists this in an upcoming projects draft.

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... ument.aspx

It doesn't seem like MN-DOT is at all interested in making this highway into more of an "Urban Arterial". It seems like it could turn into an eye-sore (more than it already is).

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » September 19th, 2019, 10:19 pm

So unfortunate there is no plan to coordinate the breakup of this megablock here. Does Roseville WANT it?
As a Roseville resident, I can't say that I want this. Then again, I'm not in the proper age group to benefit from 55+ housing. I could care less about more retail showing up over there, especially of the strip-mall or restaurant-pod nature. We already have a Chik-Fil-A pod going in over by Har Mar and that is going to be an eyesore. I think overall it feels sort of piece meal the way that they are putting Twin Lakes together. It doesn't seem as cohesive as it could be. That ditch trail looks so circuitous. If they actually have a way of making the creek flow that would be nice, but there should be a direct route as well. Also the low density seems like Roseville city officials are 'selling out' because they can't get something better in the area.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » September 28th, 2019, 3:34 pm

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » September 29th, 2019, 1:01 am

Thoughts after reading that article:
Would now be a good time to bring up the topic of the pedestrian bridge again, from those apartments/condos south of 36 over to Rosedale's new lifestyle center? It seems like the perfect place to put a piece of infrastructure like that if they want to make this center feel like Roseville's newest neighborhood.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 29th, 2019, 11:44 am

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... next-month
Rosedale Center's new food hall to open next month

Called Potluck, the food hall will focus on local restaurants and food producers, debuting at the Roseville mall at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12.
I hope this version is better than the Revolution Hall. The few times we were there we had problems with speed of services and lack of good family friendly options. I'd be there with my wife and kids and have to go 4 different places and still be settling. The big miss was on drink selections. That should be the easiest part!

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » November 3rd, 2019, 11:01 pm

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... next-month
Rosedale Center's new food hall to open next month

Called Potluck, the food hall will focus on local restaurants and food producers, debuting at the Roseville mall at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12.
I hope this version is better than the Revolution Hall. The few times we were there we had problems with speed of services and lack of good family friendly options. I'd be there with my wife and kids and have to go 4 different places and still be settling. The big miss was on drink selections. That should be the easiest part!
Hopefully, they take cash this time.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2020, 10:44 am

Rosedale expansion could bring 560 housing units, two hotels and lots of commercial space
*LOCKED*

Gist:
The project, according to city documents, could include 350 market rate apartments, 212 active-adult apartments for those 55 and over, two hotels with 290 total rooms, 100,000 square feet of office, which could include medical uses, and a net increase of 220,000 square feet of commercial space that could be used for entertainment, restaurants, a grocery store and other retail. There could also be coworking space.

The current proposal is to build the market rate apartments on the east side, active apartments on the west, and put the hotel and entertainment uses in the middle. The vacant Herberger's store would be demolished.

The goal is to begin construction this summer and complete the project over a span of three years.
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.43.48 AM.png

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 15th, 2020, 7:42 pm

That looks like a giant new parking ramp next to the AMC (over the transit station?). Has anyone found the full plans as presented? I’m assuming this is phased.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » January 16th, 2020, 8:58 am

I've long been curious about the economics of dedicated 55+ housing. It seems like there is more of it around than there is demand for it, especially relative to market rate apartments, but I could be wrong on that.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » January 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm

EAW on track to be submitted in the next month, looking at February public comment for the site. As such lot developments are being paused. Multiple city councilers have expressed their interest in pedestrian orientation and traffic issues. Communication with metro transit is ongoing as well, point was made that rosedale is able to make decisions with them independently and the city has limited influence. As an aside, Colder Products is looking at how to get employees the last mile from rosedale to their new facility in the twin lakes district as many in st paul use transit. This project seems to be moving very quickly and the city is very supportive of the new development.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 19th, 2020, 8:50 am

That rendering looks like they’ve change some of the orientation. I’m not the biggest fan of the donut apartment plans.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » January 20th, 2020, 10:01 am

That rendering looks like they’ve change some of the orientation. I’m not the biggest fan of the donut apartment plans.
Likely a noise issue, with the inside areas and balconies not meeting noise standards if they were facing the freeway

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » January 23rd, 2020, 11:22 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see how Rosedale is going to make the entire perimeter walkable for pedestrians. I have no idea how those people in the luxury apartments are going to be able to easily get across Fairview unless a significant amount of new sidewalks and improved crossings are put in. The more important question is how they are going to get across Highway 36? Wouldn't now be a good time to build that pedestrian bridge to get from Rosedale over to that Outback Steakhouse area?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 24th, 2020, 10:50 am

Roseville/Rosedale really ought to begin pushing MnDOT to rethink that whole interchange. A north-south pedestrian bridge connecting Rosedale to the areas south of MN-36 should've happened 20-30 years ago. At this point, I'd want to have them study replacing the cloverleaf before putting $6M+ into a bike/ped bridge. Maybe Snelling shouldn't be a freeway interchange anymore. Ideas could be a folded diamond (more or less identical to Fairview/36), or a SPUI. To be clear, 36 remains a freeway in any scenario. Either option suggested would result in Snelling having full sidewalks on both sides of the street. It would probably be "Service Level F" for cars, but there is a lot to like about the idea of going with a folded diamond like at Fairview. That would remove the need for a ped bridge AND free up some additional land for development, parking, etc.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 24th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I've long been curious about the economics of dedicated 55+ housing. It seems like there is more of it around than there is demand for it, especially relative to market rate apartments, but I could be wrong on that.
My perception has been that, with a recent exception in Hermantown, this is the kind of housing least likely to get NIMBY'd. If that perception is accurate, it may owe to any number of things. What's crossed my mind:

1) Existing residents may see seniors as less-noisy potential neighbors (including less car traffic).
2) Residents may have a perception that senior housing competes in a separate market from standard apartments (and would thus be less likely to deflate the artificial scarcity propped up by some suburban zoning regimes, thus preserving the value of their home-as-investment).
3) NIMBYs are a disproportionately older crowd, who may see themselves moving into such a unit in the foreseeable future.

From the developers' end, they may be thinking "Better this oversupplied product with lower immediate margins than sitting on our duffs. At least we maintain our ongoing business relationships with the various building and engineering trades. And in an era when people are living longer and healthier, there will always be a new incoming market, even if it ends up deferred to something more like 65+ instead of 55+. We'll pay off the first round in a few years when the younger end of the Baby Boom ages into the product."

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 24th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I’m not convinced the over-55 market is over supplied.

My sense that maybe the biggest reason the senior housing apartments are the least likely apartments to be objected to is that the people with the time to make noises at city council or commission meetings are the sort who are most keenly aware of the shortage of senior housing near the neighborhoods they live.

In other words, empathy or lack thereof, towards the people who have other housing needs than themselves.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » January 24th, 2020, 9:23 pm

there's a huge market for senior housing in the first ring northern suburbs. mounds view school district closing a couple elementary schools a decade or so back can be referenced for evidence of a disproportional amount of people looking to move into senior units now. Focus needs to be for these senior units to be able to look further into the future where they will need to be converted. (im looking at you presbyterian homes.) Pres Homes has been moving offices into the strip mall next to their headquarters at 2845 hamline, wish they would fully redevelop.

getting rosedale to be connected across 36 or redesigning snelling unfortunately doesnt even seem to be discussed. there are many parallels to be drawn between rosedale and southdale but the industrial areas between minneapolis and roseville create a more car oriented mindset even though that can be addressed with transit investment. fairview is a clusterf*** that needs to be fixed. the intersection with oakcrest should be signalized especially if a mixed use development at the old fire station is in the game plane. Single family lots on the east side of fairview require homeowners to put in a crazy amount of work to clear snow, 2480 fairview just doesnt clear the sidewalk, 2440 wells fargo branch has people trying to pull all type of maneuvers. And then there's cleveland where pedestrians just walk in the street to get to walmart because the sidewalk zigzags for god no what reason.

This summer county road c will be getting an upgraded bike path/sidewalk on the south side through the industrial areas west of 35w but people are going to be risking their lives before they can get to that.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 29th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Developers must have only recently remembered Roseville exists. Another apartment project in the works in the Rosedale area:
https://finance-commerce.com/2020/01/ga ... partments/

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » January 30th, 2020, 8:34 am

Developers must have only recently remembered Roseville exists. Another apartment project in the works in the Rosedale area:
https://finance-commerce.com/2020/01/ga ... partments/
1.84 million TIF was rejected