Introductions

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Visualizer
Nicollet Mall

Re: Introductions

Postby Visualizer » December 12th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Yes. Apart from brutal winters, they don't have much in common really.
Twin Cities Transit Map 2030 : Order Prints | Follow Mapping Twin Cities on Tumblr |

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » January 15th, 2013, 1:33 am

I am a little late on my introduction, but my name is Al and I joined UrbanMSP back in June of last year and lurked for months until a couple weeks ago when I started posting. Before I joined this page, I just usually lurked around City-Data, SkyscraperPage, and even Minnescraper. I am an on-and-off again undergrad at the U of M, studying towards a B.S. in Urban Studies, and minoring in Geography. Hopefully I will graduate by 2014-2015, barring anymore health problems. I was born, raised, and still currently live in Little Canada, or East Roseville as I like to call it (since I went to high school, worked, or basically did everything in Roseville). I have also lived in Hibbing (only for a few months when I was 6-7), and Mankato when I attended MNSU for my freshman year (got decent enough grades and on the Dean's List, then I applied to transfer to the U, and got the hell out of there).

Anyways, I have loved architecture, civil engineering, geography, and urban planning since I was a little kid. I was always looking at atlases and maps, and drawing fantasy cities and maps. I usually focus towards transportation planning, ranging from planes, trains, and automobiles (pun possibly intended :lol:). Since I have always lived in a suburban environment, I may not be as knowledgeable as the central city dwellers on developments, but I will try to keep up so I don't try to repeat others on the forum. Sorry if that ends happening from time to time, but sometimes I do overlook pages on topics so I might not be completely up to date on things. Overall, I hope to see Minneapolis and Saint Paul evolve through the projects shown on this forum, while the suburbs (at least inner-ring ones) hopefully up the density and become more desirable places to live in.

EDIT: I also tend to edit my posts a lot (a bit ironic, given I put this in the re-edit), since even though I try to proofread my posts, I tend to make a couple spelling errors and what not.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 15th, 2013, 11:29 am

I suppose I might as well get around to introducing myself too. I lurked on Minnescraper for a long time, and started posting there just before it went down. Raised in BP but spent a fair amount of time in MPLS as a kid before moving here in college. Studied film and video production at the U before dropping out to do it professionally. I should really be getting ot to shoot photos and videos of construction. Perhaps when it gets warmer. If anyone else is in the field (or needs any kind of video/ photo work done) let me know! I'd love to work with you guys.

I've got a Facebook page and my reel is HERE.

Sorry for being overly self-promotional.

sdbroom
Block E

Postby sdbroom » January 15th, 2013, 11:50 am

I'm Sean.

I graduated from the University of Minnesota, I have diverse hobbies and interests, and I live in Minneapolis. My comments on here reflect my own hobbled, uninformed opinions and not those of any current, future, or past employer.
Last edited by sdbroom on January 15th, 2013, 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 15th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Holy crap, I forgot my name. I'm Michael.

Wow.

Razorback
Block E

Postby Razorback » January 16th, 2013, 2:02 am

HI - my name is Neal. I've been lurking since the earliest days of minnescraper. With the new bandwidth or what not, I guess I'd better sign up. I've always gotten these messages saying that I didn't have permission to see most of the pictures, so I'm hoping this takes care of that. Anyway, it's been great reading everyone's posts over the last seven years or so. I check this site several times a day and am beyond excited about everything going on around town. Cheers!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 16th, 2013, 9:58 am

I just want to say welcome to the lurkers! I've been a long-time poster here and at Minnescraper, but I know what it is like to lurk at other forums. It is so exciting to see people signing up and being a part of the community. We benefit greatly from your participation. Speaking for myself, I post on here so I can feed off of other people's reactions and knowledge. The more these threads are conversations instead of monologues, the better it is for our ideas taking shape.

Razorback
Block E

Postby Razorback » January 16th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Yeah, nothing like the threat of not seeing the forums anymore to get me to sign right up. I've just never been much of an internet typing thingy kind of guy, but I'm all but obsessed with this city's past and future. When I was going to school in Dallas in 1990 and had already decided to move here sight unseen (coin toss - long story), I began to research this place to try and learn about my future home and have never stopped. I'm fascinated with the history here and spend almost as much time on the Old Minneapolis Facebook page, Thomas Lowry's Ghost and Nokohaha as I do here. Also, I take pictures- lots and lots of pictures - of all the development going on. If I had the slightest idea how to put 'em up, I'd share 'em with everybody. Anyhoo, rambling a bit. Signing off as a lurker and signing on as a ... talker.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 17th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Also, I take pictures- lots and lots of pictures - of all the development going on. If I had the slightest idea how to put 'em up, I'd share 'em with everybody.
Hey Razorback, welcome! We all would certainly love to see your photos! I went and posted a couple videos over on our Images Thread that should give you a fairly good start to uploading pictures. Also there is a good explanation of how posting to the forum works in general for you or anyone else new who might like some useful tips!

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » February 26th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Hi, my name is Nate, as my username implies. I am nearly a registered architect (just a few more tests to pass). Got my Masters from the U of M a couple years back, been working for a couple of local firms since. I live in St Paul, not far from Macalester College. Lurked on Minnescraper for awhile before it shut down, and just found out about this site a week or so ago. It's very exciting to have it back.

Garrett
Block E

Postby Garrett » February 27th, 2013, 10:21 am

Greetings, my name is Garrett. Been lurking for a while, but figured I'd register today as my works network is down and I'm bored. I grew up in Medina and graduated from Wayzata (it's a faraway place outside the 494/694 loop) and then got my degree from the UofM in Geography/GIS and now work in downtown Minneapolis. I have an interest in urban studies and architecture and am excited to see what new construction comes to Minneapolis over the coming years. Hobbies are a lot of sports including, Ultimate, bball, softball, golf, soccer, racing, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, wakeboarding, beer drinking, and biking around Minneapolis. Cheers!

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » February 27th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I might as well introduce myself as well. My name is Brent and I have absolutely no training or education in construction/development/urban studies, but I love seeing new development take place. I grew up in and still live in Maplewood, and I have a bachelor's in biology and currently pursuing my master's in nursing. I certainly have (and recognize) my Saint Paul bias (but Minneapolis is cool too), and I'm looking forward to moving downtown Saint Paul once I finish school.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » February 27th, 2013, 5:04 pm

My name is Erik and I currently rent in Linden Hills. Not a Nimby (Go Linden Corner!). You can find me belly up to the bar at Tilia quite frequently. Those strong beers are trouble. After one too many I stumble home and embarrass myself on the guitar and piano.

Lived in Highland Park in St. Paul before that, Portland OR for seven years before that, Phoenix, AZ prior to that, and a stint in London just for a little international flair. So you might say I've seen both the zenith and the nadir of good urban development.

Post only occassionaly, and usually with not any great insight! No background in architecture or urban planning, just a dilletante's interest. I'm an financial analytics guy by nature and profession with formal education in math and stats thrown in for good measure. If you need some numbers crunched, let me know.

Pet cause is multi-modal transportation. I frequently drive, bike, and take public transportaion. Master of all and slave to none.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » April 4th, 2013, 7:37 am

I'm Colin. I've lived in the Cities very nearly all my life, first in White Bear Lake, then Willernie, then Woodbury before escaping that for Stadium Village for 3 years and Merriam Park in Saint Paul for the last 5. I have no background in urbanism, unless you count a Masters thesis dealing with 10th century Hiberno-Norse town structure and economic relationships with (essentially) exurbs. Lived for brief stints in Barcelona and Sheffield, and when I came back to Merriam Park I was much more interested in the process of transforming the Cities into more livable urban environments. I'm an archaeologist by training and stay-at-home-dad by trade. I think I probably found this place through Bill Lindeke in one form or another.

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » May 3rd, 2013, 10:44 am

Howdy, guys. I've been lurking here for a while now. I figured it would be time to actually contribute. I graduated from the U this past fall, BS Urban Studies, and currently live in the Atlanta area. Lived in Connecticut and Virginia, too, but that is a distant memory.

Cheers.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » May 31st, 2013, 5:00 pm

I'm Jim, a longtime lurker, occasional contributor. I've been in the Cities since moving from Indiana via Chicago for grad school back in 1996. Now living in South Minneapolis near Minnehaha Parkway, before that I lived for many years in Cathedral Hill, including three separate stints at three separate addresses on Ashland Avenue.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » July 2nd, 2013, 5:42 pm

I'm Scott. I've been a longtime lurker but figure its time to start participating in the conversation. I don't have any formal training or education in urban studies or planing, but enjoy living/working in the city. I grew up in small town MN but came to Minneapolis to attend the University of Minnesota 10 years ago and outside of a short period living in Eden Prairie have been in Minneapolis ever since. I currently live with my wife and son in south Minneapolis near Minnehaha Park.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » July 2nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Hi I'm yet another Matt. I'm from Milwaukee and moved to Minneapolis two years ago. I work for a large corporation downtown and also live downtown. I have no training in urbanism but I love reading about public transit and new development in the cities. I don't typically have much to share here but I enjoy reading and occasionally adding my thoughts/pictures.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 11th, 2013, 10:35 am

I'm Andre. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm a Minnesota boy through and through, growing up in Duluth and a graduate of the University of Minnesota (okay, there was a freshman year in Fargo, ND that I sort of regret, but c'est la vie). I fell in love with Minneapolis and the urban environment when I arrived and haven't looked back since. I'm a Marcy-Holmes resident (bordering on booster at times), though I've long had my eye on the Uptown and the North Loop.

I don't have any formal training in urban design or planning (I studied journalism and political science, career trajectory is in communications-related stuff), but I do have an appreciation for it and love reading the discussion on here.

Cheers.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » November 9th, 2013, 12:24 am

Hey everybody. Been reading these forums for several months now, and I am just starting to add some contributions.

I am living in Dinkytown this semester (and next year, I believe), and will (hopefully) be able to keep everyone updated on various projects around the U. If you are curious about the status of a project near campus, message me! I will try and find some time to bike around and take pictures/notes.

I'm a second year BDA student at the U. I'm thinking I might like to explore urban design/planning. I also would most like to renovate & flip houses (nationally, if not globally.. Idk). But there's still a lot of time before I reach that stage of life.

I grew up in a western suburb of Minneapolis, but never visited downtown much. Since coming to the U, I have really fallen in love with MSP. Although I'd like to travel and live in a multitude of places, I'll be glad to call MSP my home, and I honestly hope to be able to work to further improve this place somehow. I do get super excited when reading these forums; I love contemplating what the future might hold. I look forward to dreaming and discussion with all of you.

Thanks,
nBode