Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MattW
Rice Park

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby MattW » November 4th, 2019, 10:44 am

What's going in there?
A steak house.

I biked by the other day and you could peek through the curtains in the windows. Looks like they dropped some serious coin into the space. Hope it's successful.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 5th, 2019, 10:30 am

You can kind of peek in from the Mall side.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 5th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Very cool of them to get rid of the Nicollet door and put booth backs against the windows.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » November 6th, 2019, 9:12 am

Article on Rojo closing:
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline

The owner Michael McDermott said "After two people were shot on Crave's patio, Rojo's sales dropped and never recovered."

This is a really odd statement. He's claiming a shooting at a restaurant that is still in open caused his restaurant to close.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » November 6th, 2019, 9:34 am

It could also just be that Rojo is overpriced and of middling quality. You can get much better Mexican food elsewhere for a lot less.

elliotDTown
Block E

Postby elliotDTown » November 6th, 2019, 9:48 am

Rojo, Randals, and Ling and Louie's were NEVER amazing restaurants. Overpriced for the quality of food. I think the place tried to re-brand but with (I think) same ownership and often the same or similar staff. I think it needs a fresh concept and crew.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 6th, 2019, 9:57 am

Article on Rojo closing:
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... s_headline

The owner Michael McDermott said "After two people were shot on Crave's patio, Rojo's sales dropped and never recovered."

This is a really odd statement. He's claiming a shooting at a restaurant that is still in open caused his restaurant to close.
Everything about this article made me sick - it was such a cop out. But I didn't really expect much better from him. There are several restaurants in that area that have lasted decades. Provide us with a concept that features good options at good prices and you'll succeed. Agreed that none of the concepts he's tried have hit both marks. I enjoyed Ling & Louie's - but the food was always meh.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 6th, 2019, 10:11 am

I did always get a kick out of how they put up the faux-marble dragon head above the door as part of the Chinese decorations for Ling and Louie's, then never bothered to take it down for the new iterations.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » November 6th, 2019, 2:30 pm

This guy managed to close two different restaurants located on the prime stretch of the North Loop in under two years. The second of the two was, of course, a hail mary Rojo just like the Nicollet version.

I would take it as a badge of honor for the food scene in Minneapolis that we keep rejecting his awful concepts.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 6th, 2019, 8:58 pm

This guy managed to close two different restaurants located on the prime stretch of the North Loop in under two years. The second of the two was, of course, a hail mary Rojo just like the Nicollet version.

I would take it as a badge of honor for the food scene in Minneapolis that we keep rejecting his awful concepts.
I don't know how Rojo survives as a chain. The one in West End has been open for years, the food there is garbage like the ones in NL and Nicollet.

I'm glad it's gone. the heavy stream of out-of-towners that frequent the restaurants in that area deserve something that demonstrates the strength of our food scene. I hope Newsroom is next.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » November 7th, 2019, 9:57 am

I'm glad it's gone. the heavy stream of out-of-towners that frequent the restaurants in that area deserve something that demonstrates the strength of our food scene. I hope Newsroom is next.
I haven't dined there in a long time, and it was always for business functions where I wasn't the one paying, but The News Room always seemed fine to me from a quality standpoint, if a bit generic. Has it gone downhill in recent years?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 7th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Atlas within US Bank Plaza is terrible. the food tastes reheated in a presentable and palatable way.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I haven't dined there in a long time, and it was always for business functions where I wasn't the one paying, but The News Room always seemed fine to me from a quality standpoint, if a bit generic. Has it gone downhill in recent years?
OMG I love The News Room, the Brie Curds with blueberry ketchup is my favorite, with the flight of meatloaf as my entree.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 7th, 2019, 4:52 pm

OMG I love The News Room, the Brie Curds with blueberry ketchup is my favorite, with the flight of meatloaf as my entree.
I've gone to a handful of events and gatherings there. They seem to do hors d'oeuvres well enough, but dining in the restaurant was always mediocre along with some pretty terrible service.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » November 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm

There’s a lot happening in that sentence.
Edit: I should add that I’d eat all that.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 27th, 2019, 10:48 am

Spoonriver is closing in December, to be replaced in 2020 with a new restaurant run by a partnership between the Birchwood Cafe and the Minnesota Farmers Union.

Additionally, the DMNA agenda for next week includes a liquor license presentation for an unnamed restaurant at 575 Hennepin Avenue - the long-vacant space in the Embassy Suites.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

[whispers conspiratorially] When you're here, you're family.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » November 27th, 2019, 12:54 pm

[whispers conspiratorially] When you're here, you're family.
You can't be serious...
But then I remember that you're MNdible

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 27th, 2019, 2:05 pm

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » November 27th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Also the restaurant space in the Vicinty at 205 Park Ave will possibly be home to a Heritage-Grain Brewpub along with the already planned bakery on the other corner per mspmag.com

http://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/foodie/ ... -brew-pub/

Would live to see a brewpub in this area of town, I think it's something they desperately need as I think a brewery/brewpub becomes the neighborhood gathering point and this would be a prime location. (Yes I realize Dayblock Brewing is in the area, but this is closer to a lot of the current development.)