Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Brenns
City Center

Re: Northeast and Southeast Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby Brenns » November 22nd, 2019, 5:11 pm

Saw that the General Mills complex on Central and Broadway was purchased by Hillcrest. All articles appear to be locked. Probably condos?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 22nd, 2019, 7:27 pm

From the Bizjournal:
For the immediate future, Hillcrest will use the property as additional parking for its Highlight Center, but will need to do some brainstorming on its long-term future. The five-story, 115,000-square-foot building, Tankenoff said, has been expanded several times over the years and had varying floor and ceiling heights. It’s not clear if it will be salvaged or demolished, though Hillcrest has a niche for repurposing old buildings.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 2nd, 2019, 12:19 pm

Yikes. I guess here's what's going on with Shoreham Yards: http://www.startribune.com/with-rail-ya ... 565669672/

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » December 2nd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Coincidentally ran into someone a few weeks ago who used to work at Shoreham Yards, and a few things he mentioned were that there would be a LOT more truck traffic on Central, it would be very loud, and the neighborhood would not be happy when the expansion was finished and they realized the extent of new operations.
Hopefully something can be done - the railroad seems to enjoy operating with zero consideration for their neighbors.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 2nd, 2019, 12:54 pm

Railroads gonna railroad. It's too bad some gilded age corrupt morons decided they should have as much power as a sovereign nation because that decision keeps on giving.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

It's unfortunate that there will really be no practical alternative for that truck traffic than Central to Lowry, both with unprotected on-street bike lanes. It would be better for nearly everyone if they could take 29th instead.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 2nd, 2019, 1:33 pm

This may be a little extreme, but if the Railroad is going to do whatever they want within their rights can't the city do the same thing? Build a median across Central Ave blocking the 28th Access from the south. Add in a stoplight at 28th with "Special timing," leaving access to the railyard very limited during rush hour? Although isn't this a State Highway?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

This may be a little extreme, but if the Railroad is going to do whatever they want within their rights can't the city do the same thing?
Maybe the county could. But they'd have to be damn sure they'll never need CP's cooperation on anything in the future, given how childish BNSF has been since Hennepin ruined one of their plans.

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » December 3rd, 2019, 8:55 am

It's unfortunate that there will really be no practical alternative for that truck traffic than Central to Lowry, both with unprotected on-street bike lanes. It would be better for nearly everyone if they could take 29th instead.
I didn't even consider that - the Central/Lowry intersection is a death trap as it is.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 3rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

It's amazing how much traffic has increased at this intersection just since the Broadway reconfiguration. Central at evening rush hour is a disaster near Lowry, I can only imagine this will get worse now.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 3rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Hopefully something can be done - the railroad seems to enjoy operating with zero consideration for their neighbors.
It's also been there for 132 years, long before anyone possibly unhappy about it today has been alive. I understand not wanting to live next to a railyard, but it seems a bit late in the game to be complaining about it.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 4th, 2019, 9:19 am

In the near future I predict that the burgeoning St. Anthony skyline, with the Stone Arch Bridge in the foreground, will be a popular photograph. It's disappointing that Kelly Doran decided to waste the GM parcel with a pair of Dallas Donuts instead of putting up a pair of additional towers. One of the real sources of visual interest for the Minneapolis skyline looking in the other direction is how it steps back from the river, which makes so many different buildings visible. A similar texture was possible here, but a missed opportunity. Still plenty of space for similar towers near the Central-Hennepin intersection, but I wonder if developers might take a pause here and see how Rafter/Expo/Odin./etc. lease up.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 4th, 2019, 9:54 am

That is a fine view!

Brenns
City Center

Postby Brenns » December 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

It's also been there for 132 years, long before anyone possibly unhappy about it today has been alive. I understand not wanting to live next to a railyard, but it seems a bit late in the game to be complaining about it.
"I was here first" doesn't give any business a right to act with impunity. Like it or not, in 2019 they share the neighborhood and roads with residences and businesses, and should be held to some standard of conduct. I don't hear anyone arguing they should close up shop and leave.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 4th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I think people do want them gone, even if they're not saying so in as many words, and that a lot of the frustration being expressed is disappointment that the parcel isn't being used for something that would make the neighborhood more attractive and boost property values. People got their hopes up.

I don't think CP should be able to just do whatever they want, but they should be allowed to operate their railyard. And it's not like Central is some quiet residential street; it's a major commercial corridor and a state trunk highway.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm

1. Turn back Central to the City or County.
2. Make it three lanes rather than five (paint some lanes red for buses, or whatever).
Easy.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 4th, 2019, 2:58 pm

In the near future I predict that the burgeoning St. Anthony skyline, with the Stone Arch Bridge in the foreground, will be a popular photograph.
My regular joke about St. Anthony's growth is that pretty soon, visitors to Minneapolis who are unfamiliar with the area will think St. Anthony is St. Paul :lol:

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 31st, 2020, 1:09 pm

Doesn't look like Surdyk's is going anywhere anytime soon, despite all of the tall new neighbors:
http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/lo ... /567460711

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 31st, 2020, 1:38 pm

Doesn't look like Surdyk's is going anywhere anytime soon, despite all of the tall new neighbors:
http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/lo ... /567460711
There goes my hope that Jim was looking for a lump sum for retirement

Also, some pretty inflammatory language in this article
Surdyk’s, the northeast Minneapolis-adjacent (look at a map, folks!) liquor store institution

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 31st, 2020, 2:01 pm

I just looked at a map, and Surdyk's is north of Hennepin Avenue, and so is therefore in Northeast.