Melzer Block (E Hennepin between Univ and 4th) for Sale

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
BruiserB
City Center

Melzer Block (E Hennepin between Univ and 4th) for Sale

Postby BruiserB » December 4th, 2019, 10:11 am

Saw this posted on Facebook......

https://vimeo.com/374276335

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Melzer Block (E Hennepin between Univ and 4th) for Sale

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2019, 10:27 am

I'm all about dense urban development, but this is a really nice collection of urban, street activating retail. I'd be really upset to see this block go. Taking out the section on university maybe but... this is crucial ne history.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 4th, 2019, 10:44 am

A couple of the buildings on this block have their own merits, but the charm here is mostly a product of the small, long parcel sizes that creates multiple street frontages. The prime location on this block is the main exception; the corner Noodles & Company building, which is a single story, not historic, and large enough of a parcel to actually build something of significant height. Similar to the Nye's block, a clever developer could come up with a program for this block that mixes and matches between new and old, keeping the variety of buildings with narrow retail streetfronts, but adding more residential uses in overbuilds and a taller new construction at the corner.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 4th, 2019, 10:59 am

I thought for sure that these buildings were historically protected. But, nope!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 4th, 2019, 11:01 am

They really should be. This is probably one of the best block faces in Minneapolis, maybe second only to the Washington Ave block with Runyon's.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 4th, 2019, 11:29 am

They must have some confidence that there is still a market for apartments?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Frey lives in one of these buildings, so any proposed redevelopment would be interesting to see play out. Looks like it's just for sale though, no? I didn't see any indication of redevelopment plans in that video.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Mac's Industrial just moved into that building as well.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 4th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Why is everyone assuming it's being torn down? Am I missing something? Melzer is the namesake of the existing building. It seems like it's just trading hands.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 5th, 2019, 10:52 am

I think most of the buildings have tenants that are fairly well established. I would think this is nothing more than the seller having a great opportunity to sell while the asset is maximized.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 5th, 2019, 11:13 am

I think most of the buildings have tenants that are fairly well established. I would think this is nothing more than the seller having a great opportunity to sell while the asset is maximized.
This. This block is leased up more than I have seen it in years (if ever) with a lot of the tenants moving in pretty recently. Only empty spots on the whole block are the old Bibelot and Pizza Nea spaces.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 5th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Why is everyone assuming it's being torn down? Am I missing something? Melzer is the namesake of the existing building. It seems like it's just trading hands.
The whole block is unlikely to be torn down, but the Noodle & Company parcel is a really good development opportunity, don't you think?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 5th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I wouldn't give much stock to the fact that many of the retail spaces are leased. That was true on the 1400 and 1500 blocks of Nicollet too, and it didn't stop those developments.

The fact that the whole row of buildings has been assembled by one investment group certainly suggests there was interest in doing a development here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 5th, 2019, 2:42 pm

If you look at the property maps, this row of buildings has been under sole ownership for years.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » December 16th, 2019, 11:45 pm

I say bulldoze the back side of the buildings and rebuild it into a tower, and leave the street side front 20 feet. Except for the brick walls between the two 3 floor buildings. Save that back further as that would be a loverly outdoor/indoor cafe space. The rest would look nice as a modern tower on the backside of the 1/2 block. Kinda like what the Nye's Bar development was originally going to be. Instead, just not wasting money on building a tower above the existing building.

Essentially it would be a historic podium front (maybe build up on the corner to 4-6 floors) and then a nice fancy glass slim tower on the backside. Smaller micro apartments next to the Lunds grocery store would be a big asset. Plus with the park space a dog friendly place would be wonderful. Maybe it would be more expense than it would be worth, but sure would be nice to keep that store front even if they are all completely rebuilt buildings on the inside.

Why throw out some really old pretty lipstick, just build the cute piggy around the lipstick and call it a day! :)