Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby Qhaberl » November 22nd, 2019, 7:46 am

I certainly see what people are saying about the importance of the retail at that corner. I don’t know much about commercial financing stuff, so I’m going to ask if you questions.

1. Why is there not going to be additional commercial space provided in the new building?

2. If there were to be additional commercial space, are there grants or other sources of money that could be used to help offset the cost of renting or leasing the space? I’m asking if there’s a way to keep any new commercial space affordable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 22nd, 2019, 8:56 am

ESG Architecture’s Bob Loken told the South Uptown neighborhood’s land use committee that the project team wanted part of the apartment building to reach five stories to offset the cost of including city-mandated affordable units. A new Minneapolis policy requiring affordable housing in all new apartment projects over 20 units is due to be adopted by the City Council.
If every developer in the city takes the approach of adding more units to make the IZ math pencil out, it'll be a real success. The city also has to set a precedent of approving it though, and it'd also help Lander's pro forma if they didn't build two levels of underground parking and a 1.2 parking to unit ratio...

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby BoredAgain » November 22nd, 2019, 10:23 am

Los Andes moving to the Dulono's space as well:

https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/b ... onos-site/
They came to the Lyndale Neighborhood meeting last month. They have some nice intentions for the interior, as well as live music and cocktails (the reason they were at the meeting). Several questions from the neighborhood about the parking. The parking lot is owned by a someone else, but Los Andes will be using it. No other project planned for it yet, but separate ownership makes it more possible in the future.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » November 22nd, 2019, 1:25 pm

A portion of the 3513 Hennepin site was identified for redevelopment back in 2005 or so. At the time it was a residential condo site, I believe involving the three properties (the white commercial building and the houses). It was "dead" by 2006, per an old file I found from OurUptown.com. I didn't even track it as a dead project after that time, meaning it likely hadn't made it very far along in the process.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 5th, 2019, 1:22 pm

The Urban Outfitters space in Uptown is apparently up for lease: http://tcbmag.com/news/articles/2019/de ... -for-lease

I won't lose any sleep over not having an UO nearby, but it would be nice for once to see a positive story coming out of Uptown...seems like we'll have to wait a while longer.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » December 9th, 2019, 10:32 am

MAC cosmetics at Hennepin/Lake is leaving:

http://citypages.com/arts/mac-cosmetics ... /565947861

From a commentor:
Sephora opening and having cruelty free options killed the Mac store. If Mac was cruelty free I bet they wouldn’t of had a problem keeping the space. 🤷🏼‍♀️ And Mac just recently started having a rewards system and small sales which was long overdue.

Other commentors blame parking in Uptown, parking fees, and online sales.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 9th, 2019, 11:42 am

I'm not positive, but I thought Sephora was generally less expensive and carried a number of brands, while MAC just sells their own cosmetics. So right off the bat, it's going to be more attractive to a wider range of customers.

For that matter, Ulta would probably do well in Uptown.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 1st, 2020, 11:17 pm

The Sephora is doing very poorly...at least so far. I don't think they have said they are going to try to get out of the lease or anything yet, but wouldn't be surprised. That is the gossip from corporate.

Unrelated...apparently the new Times Square store is doing badly as well, but at least it is advertising.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » January 16th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Looks like something could finally be going into the building at 3025 Lyndale, which has been vacant for......10? years.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 16th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Looks like something could finally be going into the building at 3025 Lyndale, which has been vacant for......10? years.
Maybe this didn't get posted - thought it had?

Japanese barbecue restaurant aims for spring 2020 opening in long-vacant LynLake space

QuietBlue
Target Field

Re: Daymark Uptown (Sons of Norway site) - 3014 Holmes Ave S

Postby QuietBlue » February 24th, 2020, 10:00 am

Mod note: moved some conversation over here from the Daymark (Sons of Norway) thread:
It will be interesting to see what kind of retail is able to fill the main floor if any. The landscape has changed dramatically in Uptown. There are more people moving into overpriced apartments which leaves less money to spend in the shops in the neighborhood.
Yeah, I think there are more "apartment-poor" residents living in these than commercial landlords realize. They may make a decent income, but spending a lot of money on an apartment, plus a good chance of a hefty student loan payment on top of other expenses doesn't necessarily leave a ton of discretionary spending opportunities.

I've said it before, but retail geared towards the daily needs of the many people who live in the area should do quite well. But it seems like there's a mismatch between that and the retail that sets up there, probably because of the commercial rents.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 24th, 2020, 10:37 am

It will be interesting to see what kind of retail is able to fill the main floor if any. The landscape has changed dramatically in Uptown. There are more people moving into overpriced apartments which leaves less money to spend in the shops in the neighborhood.
Um. What? Surely a person paying "overpriced" rents spends more in the neighborhood shops than if they lived elsewhere.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 24th, 2020, 11:34 am

Um. What? Surely a person paying "overpriced" rents spends more in the neighborhood shops than if they lived elsewhere.
They will if they are the right kinds of shops, sure. But they're not exactly going to buy a new Arc'teryx jacket each month, either.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 24th, 2020, 12:16 pm

The Sons of Norway parking lot didn’t exactly have a lot of residents living on it shopping at the neighborhood retail. Whatever the income level of future residents, the neighborhood retail gained.

I have thought for a while though that Uptown’s retail landscape is changing from a regional shopping destination to be a local shopping district, all despite the surround demographic changes.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Put....in....a....BREWERY. Me and my buddies live in the area and spend many friday's in North Loop or NE to hit some breweries. We would be more than happy to stay near our apartments if Uptown put one in. This seems like a guaranteed winner to me. Also agree with the above comment that we are just seeing a transition in the makeup of retail in the area. More people are lively more densely in the area than ever before. Uptown will have a come back, just needs some time for the makeup of businesses to readjust.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » February 24th, 2020, 2:10 pm

I think a premium outerwear purveyor like Marmot or Helly/Hanson would do well.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 24th, 2020, 11:59 pm

I've said it before, but retail geared towards the daily needs of the many people who live in the area should do quite well.
Like a Lunds, Cub, CVS and mini Target? Just looking at Google Maps the immediate area also has a large gym, library, liquor store, dry cleaners, car repair and FedEx store, plus multiple banks and medical clinics, including a vet. This is in addition to secondary service places like several hair salons, a tanning place, a nail studio, a vaping store if that’s your thing, and several coffee shops. And on top of this there are plenty of “regional” stores that would be quite nice to have around, including a movie theater, yoga and other specialty studios, an Apple store, an independent book store, a running store, Kitchen Window, Penzeys and a makeup store. This is to say nothing of restaurant options ranging from McDonalds to People’s Organic to many “fancy” places. And this is just within a block of Lake Street from Humboldt to Colfax.

So I get the idea, but think it’s overstated.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 25th, 2020, 8:21 am

Like a Lunds, Cub, CVS and mini Target? Just looking at Google Maps the immediate area also has a large gym, library, liquor store, dry cleaners, car repair and FedEx store, plus multiple banks and medical clinics, including a vet. This is in addition to secondary service places like several hair salons, a tanning place, a nail studio, a vaping store if that’s your thing, and several coffee shops. And on top of this there are plenty of “regional” stores that would be quite nice to have around, including a movie theater, yoga and other specialty studios, an Apple store, an independent book store, a running store, Kitchen Window, Penzeys and a makeup store. This is to say nothing of restaurant options ranging from McDonalds to People’s Organic to many “fancy” places. And this is just within a block of Lake Street from Humboldt to Colfax.

So I get the idea, but think it’s overstated.
Yep, all of that reinforces my point. Those are the businesses in the area that are doing well, and new businesses along those lines would likely do well too. It's the higher-end retail places that don't work there. Well, Apple and Penzey's are higher-end, but they are also the kind of stores that customers visit more regularly and are less reliant on people coming from outside the area. I'm not too familiar with Kitchen Window, but they've been around for a while, so they've probably been able to establish a good customer base by now.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » February 25th, 2020, 9:15 am

Kitchen Window also provides things that residents need on a somewhat regular basis. I visit there monthly to get stocked up on Nespresso pods and will occasionally buy other things. I think the point is valid - the area is transitioning to resident based uses. Of course some destination shopping could do well here, but it probably needs to be local and unique. Something you can only get by visiting Uptown. For larger name brand companies it's just too easy for people to go to a mall instead.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 25th, 2020, 10:31 am

The medium to high end outerwear cluster always seemed a bit odd to me—everyone knows what size North Face jacket they wear. It’s a category that’s particularly vulnerable to online shopping.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]