Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
swallman
Metrodome

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby swallman » March 9th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Damn, my wife and I ate there a few years ago and recently moved downtown and were planning to go there again soon (it also helps that she works in IDS building).

Getting harder and harder to find a meal within easy walking distance in the evening/weekends...

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 16th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Restaurants, bars, coffee shops mandated to be take-out and delivery on Tuesday at noon. http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 568836192/

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » March 17th, 2020, 2:05 pm

North Loop has been doing a good job at spreading awareness, but for those of us who can afford it, it's our job to go patron these places during this time to help them get through this.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » March 17th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Is it? It feels like going out to a restaurant is a direct contradiction to the official medical/epidemiological advice.

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » March 18th, 2020, 9:44 am

There is a balance that needs to be found between effective social distancing to curtail this virus as fast as possible while still supporting these businesses in any way we can so they can stay open at a limited capacity. These businesses have lots of employees that will simply be laid off and be scrambling to find ways to meet ends meet.

My comment was for those of us who will keep our jobs, who still need to get food, coffee, and the occasional beer. Most of these sorts of places are still open for delivery and takeout. Instead of going to Starbucks drive-thru, make use of Corner Coffee's take out. If you're going to buy some beer, maybe go buy a growler from Modist brewing instead of a 12-pack of bud-light. If you aren't in the mood to cook, instead of ordering from a national chain order takeout from a local restaurant.

That is all, stay safe, take all necessary precautions, work from home, etc, all I'm saying is if there were ever a time to go out of your way to choose small businesses over large corporations this would be it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 19th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Yeah, I don't see how picking up takeout is more irresponsible than getting delivery, or going to a grocery store, or getting groceries delivered. In all cases someone is taking a risk.
Towns!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 19th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Given that social distancing and shelter in place orders could be in effect for many months, now is the time where you support the businesses that you want to still be around when we get out of this mess.

If this lasts a month or more, we probably lose a decent chunk of small restaurants, breweries, distilleries, and other niche stores.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » March 20th, 2020, 6:32 am

It will last much more than a month.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » March 20th, 2020, 7:26 am

It will last much more than a month.
More, maybe. But not much more. People are only going to put up with it for so long; there is already pushback against it. The current restrictions are probably necessary to buy time, but they are not sustainable over the long term.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » March 20th, 2020, 11:45 am

Unfortunately this virus doesn't care what people will put up with. It's going to get worse for months before it gets better.

Supporting local businesses as people are able to is a good idea. (Supporting each other in general as we are able to is a good idea.)

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » March 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Is it? It feels like going out to a restaurant is a direct contradiction to the official medical/epidemiological advice.
It's a virus, not omnipresent radioactivity. It still requires an exposure. By maintaining more than the CDC-recommended physical distance, one renders that necessary exposure event extremely difficult and unlikely.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » March 20th, 2020, 2:24 pm

It's a virus, not omnipresent radioactivity. It still requires an exposure. By maintaining more than the CDC-recommended physical distance, one renders that necessary exposure event extremely difficult and unlikely.
Ha! Fair! But remember that my comment was made on Tuesday, before any restaurants were closed. And I was suggesting that maybe people shouldn't be dining in, which obviously the authorities agreed with. Now that they are pickup/delivery only, it is a different story.

Cambourine
Block E

Postby Cambourine » March 25th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Ginger Hop is closing permanently this weekend. Hopefully not a sign of things to come for other restaurants due to the pandemic.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 25th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Ginger Hop is closing permanently this weekend. Hopefully not a sign of things to come for other restaurants due to the pandemic.
Shit. Love their green curry. Just had it delivered Thursday to support them.

Cambourine
Block E

Postby Cambourine » March 26th, 2020, 7:51 am

Shit. Love their green curry. Just had it delivered Thursday to support them.
Yeah, the food was always great, loved the Fried Rice Omelette. I always thought the environment in there was fantastic too. Going to miss the place.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 26th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Noooo!

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » March 26th, 2020, 6:24 pm

This one hurts. Not only did Ginger Hop have damn good food and a lovely bar area, but Honey is one of my absolute favorite places in the city. I loved bringing friends there and feeling like you were in a different world in that basement.

Were they struggling for awhile? Seems abrupt to be solely from Covid.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 26th, 2020, 8:13 pm

I'm wondering that too - I guess someone's gotta be first, but I didn't expect to hear "we're closing forever due to the pandemic" for a couple weeks yet.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » March 27th, 2020, 8:03 am

Many restaurants struggle in the best of times. It might be different if they knew this was only going to be for a certain amount of time. But with the shutdowns being open-ended, they probably saw the writing on the wall and decided to call it quits now.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 27th, 2020, 10:01 am

Anybody old enough to remember the Times Bar, that was originally located on Nicollet where the Target campus was built out? They relocated the gorgeous bar back to this location when they moved across the river -- into the old Surdyk's location.