Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby lorwest » May 10th, 2020, 11:07 am

Looks like the PPL/Family Partnership project on the southeast corner of Lake & Bloomington is underway. Foundations going in north of the Powderhorn Post Office.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2020, 8:51 am

Yep, that's been digging for a few months now. That'll be a nice improvement to that corner. The new(ish) paint job on Mercado Central looks really sharp too. Most importantly, best tacos in the city on the NE corner of Lake & Bloomington - Taqueria Las Cuatro Milpas. I've been going since last summer and their popularity was clearly growing prior to the shutdown. Actually, they seem to be doing quite well on takeout too, as there are lines most evenings. I believe they have a food truck at the carwash at Lyndale & 22nd as well, though I'm not sure how often it's out there. If you like authentic tacos, I give it my highest recommendation. Pollo, Carnitas, and Birria de Res (like a spicy beef pot roast) are all top notch. The salsas are great too...watch out for the red one.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 15th, 2020, 9:44 am

Yep, that's been digging for a few months now. That'll be a nice improvement to that corner. The new(ish) paint job on Mercado Central looks really sharp too. Most importantly, best tacos in the city on the NE corner of Lake & Bloomington - Taqueria Las Cuatro Milpas. I've been going since last summer and their popularity was clearly growing prior to the shutdown. Actually, they seem to be doing quite well on takeout too, as there are lines most evenings. I believe they have a food truck at the carwash at Lyndale & 22nd as well, though I'm not sure how often it's out there. If you like authentic tacos, I give it my highest recommendation. Pollo, Carnitas, and Birria de Res (like a spicy beef pot roast) are all top notch. The salsas are great too...watch out for the red one.
The truck is there every day. Last night I biked over to check it out after seeing this post, very good.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 5th, 2020, 10:04 am

Moderator note: early discussion of the damage to Lake Street was moved/merged to the Hi-Lake/Downtown Longfellow topic: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3939&start=220#p155685

A dedicated topic was created for discussing George Floyd's murder, the resulting civil unrest, and ongoing response: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4589

mulad

Postby mulad » September 20th, 2020, 10:14 am

Mod42, the 30-unit project at 32nd Ave and 42nd St, has suddenly topped out after the site was idle for a few months, as the main modules for the construction were put in place last week. Business Journal has an article up about the building and Rise Modular, the construction company. Looks like the site address is being changed from 3115 E 42nd St to 4200 S 32nd Ave.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... polis.html

IMG_20200920_090350 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

IMG_20200920_090413 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

IMG_20200920_090500 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » September 20th, 2020, 11:30 am

Pretty impressive how fast they put it together. I saw them set the first mod on Monday.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 24th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I hope we see some more modular construction. Especially if it's near where I can watch!

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » September 24th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Does anyone know what kind of sound proofing/insulation is used? Just wondering about hearing one's neighbors. Also - looks shorter than normal construction...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 24th, 2020, 2:02 pm

It was fun watching all of the "pods" go past my house on a truck. They'd come up 34th Ave three at a time (one per semi truck), then stage on 34th just south of 42nd, until it was time to lift each into place. I'll have to take a peek as they install the siding and finishes over the next month+.

If this type of construction makes sense in this location, it would seem to work just about anywhere. Since underground parking isn't an option, differently-dimensioned sites could potentially offer a small amount of surface parking, where required (such as in areas that don't qualify for zero parking, or first ring suburbs like Richfield, etc). The scale and form of the building is basically appropriate anywhere. This location is a pretty big stretch for zero parking, due to the fact that it's a half-mile to either 38th St or 46th St Station, and the only bus service is the crosstown 46, which has limited frequency and span of service. Not exactly transit paradise, nor is biking comfortable, not until the county reconstructs 42nd St and the city someday adds the missing bike facility on Nokomis Ave (since 34th nor 28th are planned to carry any bike facility). Getting off-topic, but IMO 34th Ave could/should have bike lanes between 42nd and 50th. That would connect 42nd with the Minnehaha Creek trail and (future) 50th St bike lanes.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » September 25th, 2020, 6:30 am

Does anyone know what kind of sound proofing/insulation is used? Just wondering about hearing one's neighbors. Also - looks shorter than normal construction...
Residential construction has a required STC rating of 50 between units, regardless of the construction method. Usually, that looks like batt insulation between two layers of gyp board with a resilient channel on one of the sides. Doubling up the studs like it looks like here would likely make it MORE sound proof than typical actually. More airspace the better.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 10th, 2020, 1:35 pm

The Tipsy Steer is moving into the old Cap's Grille space at 50th and Hiawatha.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 10th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Interesting - according to their website, they're currently at Invictus Brewing, and are also expanding to High Pines Brewing in Roseville. Wonder if they'll partner with a brewery (Venn?) for the Minneapolis location as well?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 11th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Venn would be a great partner. They make excellent beer.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am

I'm getting a kick out of Minneapolis' new Planning Applications Dashboard.

Here's a few submissions from the past month that caught my eye:

There is a three story, twelve unit project called Sundial Apartments proposed for a vacant lot in Kingfield at 15 37th Street W.

There is a triplex proposed for a vacant lot in Regina at 4401 3rd Ave S.

Lowa Phase II, a five story, 144 unit building is proposed for the vacant lot south of the Phase I project.

A replacement for the apartment buildings that were damaged during the Theater Garage construction has been submitted to the city. Five stories and 47 units at 713 Franklin Ave. Wonder how that unit count compares to the existing.

A fourplex is proposed for 3308 Lyndale Ave S. Given the existing building on the site, I expect this would be entirely new construction.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 23rd, 2020, 10:58 am

I just saw Sundial on facebook- looks real good! It's from a Detroit based firm that is working on small-scale missing-middle type housing. https://fabrick-design.com/

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 23rd, 2020, 11:58 am

Ooh, lots of interesting stuff on that map. I've been trying to figure out a way to see things like by-right triplexes that can get approved administratively and don't trigger the full CPC process, looks like this is it.
A replacement for the apartment buildings that were damaged during the Theater Garage construction has been submitted to the city. Five stories and 47 units at 713 Franklin Ave. Wonder how that unit count compares to the existing.
Looks like the existing building had 25 units. The neighborhood, after not worrying too much in 2018 when the residents actually got evicted, of course became furious when the proposal to replace the condemned building that no one lived in with a new building that people could live in was unveiled.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » October 24th, 2020, 10:47 am

Love that dashboard and love the Sundial plan. I would take 100 more of those around town in a heartbeat. That could fit in on any residential block in this city.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 24th, 2020, 3:31 pm

My recollection is that the Sundial site was created as part of the development of the building that Butter is in. I believe the original plans had shown a row of townhouses on the site.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 24th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Speaking of the butter building- does the too-tall first floor on that building drive anyone else nuts?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » October 26th, 2020, 8:58 am

Haha, yes. The proportions of the butter building are off! They need to raise the height of the awnings, or something, over the first level windows. Something about the corner feels too stark every time I see it.