Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Postby talindsay » May 11th, 2020, 9:46 am

This signage could be a case study in bad messaging. Please everybody have empathy for other users who may or may not be correctly interpreting the signs and making choices accordingly.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 11th, 2020, 9:47 am

It is honestly gobsmacking how bad of a job the MPRB is doing with the parkway closure messaging.
It's "orderly but dumb" winning out over "chaotic but smart" in a microcosm.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 11th, 2020, 12:52 pm

I think a lot of the confusion—at least around the lakes—comes from some of this happening during and right after snow melt. Tons of peds were walking in the bike path because the ped path was still covered in snow/ice/puddles, so before and then during street closures the cyclists moved to the streets to avoid peds. Then the guidance said peds in the streets and ped paths, cyclists back on the bike paths, but not everyone got the message at the same time so it's just been a mess since.

Hilariously I got yelled at by 3-across rollerbladers after calling "on your left" and passing them on the bike path about two weeks ago, they seemed to think I belonged in the street even though they had just passed a sign explaining the opposite.

IMHO the parks plan also seems to go against everyone's instincts about traffic. I think the assumption is cyclists should be on the streets and peds on cycle/ped paths, but I'm guessing the idea was to give peds opportunities for greater distancing?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm

I hate to keep piling on here, but they really did make the worst possible choice here and I can't understand why. The bike is already tight in normal times. Putting them on the road is such an obvious decision, but even just making the road mixed traffic would have been better.

I haven't seen an explanation of the park board's reasoning, but it seems like they just don't get how people use the trails. (Kind of like how they don't seem to get that plowing all of the trails except the curve at 44th Street is a problem, but I digress.)

The Southwest Journal writer mentioned that the park board was talking about it here, but it wasn't expanded upon.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ATHazzard/status/12 ... 31681?s=20[/tweet]

The only thing I can think of is that people seem to use the river trails a little differently than the lake trails. The lakes tend to be more leisure, with more peds than bikers and bikes taking it pretty slow, whereas those on the river are often going from one place to another, and so are often moving more deliberately. But still.

Although on the upside, scrolling through Andrew Hazzard's Twitter, he says Sea Salt and Break & Pickle are opening May 15. I thought everything was canceled for the summer. So that's good at least!

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 11th, 2020, 4:00 pm

My take on the signage (at least around Lake of the Isles) is that it could be better, but is actually really easy and clear to understand. Bikes on the bike path, walkers and runners everywhere else. Simple. Bikes follow the rules of the road. If the road is closed to cars, it is closed to bikes. If a lane is open to cars, that lane is also open to bikes. It's not hard, but people really don't care to follow the instructions. Runners on the bike path and bikes on the road seem to be the most typical rule-breakers. In fact I've had too many bikers pass by me on the road thinking it's their own personal autobahn. I can't speak to how it works at the other lakes or along the river/creek.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 21st, 2020, 12:12 pm

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/news/2 ... nneapolis/
Today, Friday, June 19, 2020, the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) published the draft Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan for a 45-day public comment period ending Aug. 3, 2020.

The master plan document is available on the Minnehaha Parkway Regional Trail Master Plan project page and linked below. Comments will be accepted primarily online due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the current closure of all MPRB recreation centers. Community members can share their thoughts through an online survey or by emailing or calling the project manager listed below.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

I like that it involves restoration of the creek. The nature areas will be nice for local residents and help with the flooding. I'm hoping more and more of the park system becomes more nature oriented. (Including more reduction in mowing grassy areas not utilized by the community.)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 22nd, 2020, 10:38 am

The master plan seems to be a good compromise between a lot of competing interests, and proposes some major improvements for pedestrian and bicycle safety.

I'm skeptical that some of the more ambitious parts of the plan (see especially the Lynnhurst area improvements) will be funded in our lifetimes, but [shrugs].

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 10th, 2020, 9:19 am

They're currently repaving Wirth Parkway between Golden Valley Road and 28th Ave N? This was probably the worst stretch of often used street in the city. (Or which seems to be in Mpls since this is Golden Valley?) I'm also glad that they're going for a long-term solution unlike some of the solutions our neighbor across the river has used on their parkways.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » July 10th, 2020, 9:24 am

The entire stretch between 29th Ave N and 55 will be done between now and next summer.

https://www.goldenvalleymn.gov/newsarch ... surfacing/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 10th, 2020, 9:55 am

I'm also glad that they're going for a long-term solution unlike some of the solutions our neighbor across the river has used on their parkways.
?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 10th, 2020, 11:26 am

....I'm also glad that they're going for a long-term solution unlike some of the solutions our neighbor across the river has used on their parkways.
Trying to understand what this means.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm

What exactly is it that Saint Paul is doing with its parkways? 🤔

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 14th, 2020, 9:40 am

When I used to commute on the river road via bike St. Paul put a really thin overlay on the parkway and at one point I remember they only did the lanes where the tires are. I've seen that done in rural counties and always thought it shoddy.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 14th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Saint Paul changed its policy on that some years ago to prevent that from happening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 4th, 2020, 7:35 pm

West River Parkway is open again as of Monday, at least until 34th Street, where there has been some underground project going on all summer. (Anyone know what they’re doing?)

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » August 5th, 2020, 9:10 am

The project at 34th is a sewer project - not sure of the details, but crews have sometimes been working weekends in addition to the workweek.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 5th, 2020, 9:25 am

West River Parkway is open again as of Monday, at least until 34th Street, where there has been some underground project going on all summer. (Anyone know what they’re doing?)
http://www2.minneapolismn.gov/cip/curre ... MSP-190135

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 9th, 2020, 11:40 am

mod note: Posts about the river lowering / locks were merged with Downtown Riverfront topic (in the Downtown subforum).

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 18th, 2021, 11:33 am

Divided Minneapolis Park Board panel approves cutting Hiawatha Golf Course to nine holes
Commissioners voted 3-2 on Wednesday, with white members voting in favor and Black members against, to advance the plan to the full board.