Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
fehler
Rice Park

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Development & RR Corridor/MinHi Line

Postby fehler » April 20th, 2020, 9:48 am

But is it site activity, or spillover from the sewer work going on the Hiawatha bridge?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 20th, 2020, 12:07 pm

But is it site activity, or spillover from the sewer work going on the Hiawatha bridge?
It's site activity - the MetCouncil sewer work doesn't come near the parking lot - but stays in the lot south of Nawadaha.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 20th, 2020, 12:09 pm

The old Bridgeman’s/Somtaste came down in the last week, and there a good deal of activity on site. Upon looking at the approved plans for 4757 Hiawatha, it looks like the front door will be along the stub of Nawadaha Boulevard, halfway between Hiawatha and Minnehaha. I wonder if the address will change.
The Pet Supplies Plus store just to the north of this lot has a Hiawatha Address: 4751 Hiawatha Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55406, which was also true for Bridgeman's when it was open: 4757 Hiawatha Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55406.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Corridor Development & MinHi Line

Postby lorwest » April 21st, 2020, 5:55 pm

Correct on the addresses, though plenty of addresses change as construction progresses (note the 240 to 250 to 270 and maybe back to 240 Hennepin project). It's just speculation given that the main entrance will be just about as far as you can get from Hiawatha Avenue and still be on a public street.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 22nd, 2020, 8:19 am

The old Bridgeman’s/Somtaste came down in the last week, and there a good deal of activity on site.
Images I snapped our walk to get Venn crowlers with curbside pickup from Elevated Liquors yesterday 4/21/20.
Looks like this should go up pretty quickly.

bvonsnack
Block E

Postby bvonsnack » April 22nd, 2020, 7:46 pm

late to the party here but what exactly is going up in this space?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 23rd, 2020, 8:35 am

late to the party here but what exactly is going up in this space?
Apartments: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 214028.pdf

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 23rd, 2020, 9:05 am

The Acme Foundry at 3161 Hiawatha (NE corner of 32nd and Hiawatha) is for sale! Hopefully to be developed into something, too bad that long strip of land with dirt piles isn't part of this property...

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3161-Hi ... Q5G7_nYWdE
This project is wrapping up with leasing starting in June.
My only wish is that the top would have had a dark color to help ground this better. But it's a great update to the corner.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 8th, 2020, 8:07 am

From the article https://finance-commerce.com/2020/05/de ... ain-silos/
“Friendship Academy is also redeveloping the building right across the street from them, so that little intersection back that there that has been neglected for a long time will definitely be getting a lot of improvement, and the residents who live on Dight [Avenue} seem to be supportive of that,” he said.
I hadn't heard about this, from the Friendship Academy family newsletter its 3320 41st Street, the A+A Millwork building, serving grades 2-8 while K-1 remain at their current building at 2600 38th Street, adjacent to the Greater Missionary Baptist Church.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 8th, 2020, 8:27 am

From the article https://finance-commerce.com/2020/05/de ... ain-silos/
“Friendship Academy is also redeveloping the building right across the street from them, so that little intersection back that there that has been neglected for a long time will definitely be getting a lot of improvement, and the residents who live on Dight [Avenue} seem to be supportive of that,” he said.
I hadn't heard about this, from the Friendship Academy family newsletter its 3320 41st Street, the A+A Millwork building, serving grades 2-8 while K-1 remain at their current building at 2600 38th Street, adjacent to the Greater Missionary Baptist Church.
Additional info about the Friendship Academy plans for 3320 41st Street:
Community Meeting Info from last fall
Site Plans

View looking NW from 41st Street & Dight:

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » July 3rd, 2020, 8:26 pm

Activity has picked at the 4757 Hiawatha site, with new project banners. The project is called The Shale.

https://theshalempls.com/

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » July 21st, 2020, 9:58 am

200 UNITS OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING APPROVED FOR HIAWATHA NEIGHBORHOOD
Plans for Snelling Yards were approved by the Minneapolis Planning Commission earlier this month. Construction on the project is anticipated to begin in Spring 2021.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » September 16th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Holiday is proposing to rebuild the gas station at the corner of Hiawatha Ave and 46th St. It will be at the planning commission next week.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... atha%20Ave

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 17th, 2020, 9:32 am

Holiday is proposing to rebuild the gas station at the corner of Hiawatha Ave and 46th St. It will be at the planning commission next week.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... atha%20Ave
I had always hoped that Walgreens would want to move to this corner with apartments above, then redevelop their lot across the street. But I would imagine that's truly a pie in the sky idea. This Holiday is 4 blocks from my house, and the old layout was never good. I do like that they've reoriented the building and have an entrance on the corner, to better serve those using light rail. It'll be interesting to see what the City thinks about this redo.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Even has a table/window eating area looking at the LRT station for quick stops-and-goes. But I'd be money that after the first two grab-and-gos, that door gets locked up for security

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » September 17th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Even has a table/window eating area looking at the LRT station for quick stops-and-goes. But I'd be money that after the first two grab-and-gos, that door gets locked up for security
I know the Holiday in North Loop has a door like this. Does anyone know if its ever locked? IIRC its been open the couple times I've used it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 17th, 2020, 1:34 pm

I know the Holiday in North Loop has a door like this. Does anyone know if its ever locked? IIRC its been open the couple times I've used it.
I've never experienced the NE nor the corner door in the north loop the be locked.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 17th, 2020, 4:19 pm

The NL Holiday corner door is not locked, and used often.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » October 22nd, 2020, 11:38 am

There is an nice property for sale at 4525 Hiawatha Avenue in the TOD district around the 46th St Station. The small area plan suggests a residential and mixed use development at this site. With the Oppidan grocery story development and Snelling Yards, a development at this site could be a really nice addition.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/ ... _18128170/
This is called Amber Apartments and is 100% affordable to 30% AMI, the kind of "affordable" that we desperately need right now ($600/month). According to Angela Conley they just broke ground.

https://www.tdtmpls.com/news/2020/5/13/ ... tha-avenue