Root District - Farmers Market / Royalston Station

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Root District - Farmers Market / Royalston Station

Postby alexschief » February 26th, 2020, 8:09 am

But I'm looking at Google Maps and I don't even understand who would be pushing for the creation of this "district" right now - it's low-slung light industrial uses and social services facilities, on one of downtown's most disconnected street grids. It seems like their marketing is so far ahead of any potential actual reuse as to be absurd. Sure a light rail station will connect it easily with downtown but there's nothing there yet. Am I missing something or is this just pure speculative marketing?
Jackson Schwartz/Hennepin Made is the driver behind the Root District creation. His hope is to make this area the next big redevelopment downtown, especially with the lrt station coming in. He wants residential in this area, something it sorely lacks. He wants massive density and to push the height envelope. He’s been in conversations with many at the farmers market hoping to redevelop the entire site and incorporate a ‘new’ farmers market into a mixed use development. We’ll see how it plays out. The expansive boom of the North Loop core is going to near an end in the next few years as it runs out of surface lots to redevelop so this area could take off if the market doesn’t cool off.
Still plenty of surface lots and one-story buildings in the North Loop and Warehouse District.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 26th, 2020, 9:30 am

But I'm looking at Google Maps and I don't even understand who would be pushing for the creation of this "district" right now - it's low-slung light industrial uses and social services facilities, on one of downtown's most disconnected street grids. It seems like their marketing is so far ahead of any potential actual reuse as to be absurd. Sure a light rail station will connect it easily with downtown but there's nothing there yet. Am I missing something or is this just pure speculative marketing?
Jackson Schwartz/Hennepin Made is the driver behind the Root District creation. His hope is to make this area the next big redevelopment downtown, especially with the lrt station coming in. He wants residential in this area, something it sorely lacks. He wants massive density and to push the height envelope. He’s been in conversations with many at the farmers market hoping to redevelop the entire site and incorporate a ‘new’ farmers market into a mixed use development. We’ll see how it plays out. The expansive boom of the North Loop core is going to near an end in the next few years as it runs out of surface lots to redevelop so this area could take off if the market doesn’t cool off.
Still plenty of surface lots and one-story buildings in the North Loop and Warehouse District.
Hence why I said a 'few years'. Plus realistically some of those surface lots aren't as likely as others to be redeveloped anytime soon. You have a prime location at 2nd & Washington that is basically being held hostage for redevelopment because of bad blood between adjacent owners.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 26th, 2020, 9:48 am

Ah, I've been wondering what was up with that lot - it's the most obvious development parcel left in that part of the neighborhood and I've never heard even a rumor of anything being planned for it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 17th, 2020, 8:42 pm

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 18th, 2020, 7:29 am

This project raises a ton of questions.

For one, it's is an interesting challenge to the ten story minimum, since it's quite literally an edge case. Does the city want to lose potential affordable housing by forcing a small developer to take on much bigger risk and cost? (Which would probably mean the project wouldn't get built.) In an area that is not yet part of the downtown core, but is zoned to be?

Another huge question here is what it means to be building a project like this right next to the highway. These are affordable units at a location that will have negative effects for the health of residents. One way will be noise, another will be air pollution. The former would be helped if MnDOT recognized the writing was on the wall and added noise walls to this portion of I-94. But actually getting noise walls can be an extremely complicated process if the DOT wants to make it so. The issue of air pollution is maybe unfixable in the near-term and people should raise more questions about that.

I think the final issue is one of segregation. Minneapolis needs more affordable housing to go in high amenity places like Linden Hills. This is one of the lowest amenity places in the city, although that may change rapidly. SWLRT will be benefit, but otherwise I'd have concerns.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 18th, 2020, 8:40 am

This project raises a ton of questions.

For one, it's is an interesting challenge to the ten story minimum, since it's quite literally an edge case. Does the city want to lose potential affordable housing by forcing a small developer to take on much bigger risk and cost? (Which would probably mean the project wouldn't get built.) In an area that is not yet part of the downtown core, but is zoned to be?

Another huge question here is what it means to be building a project like this right next to the highway. These are affordable units at a location that will have negative effects for the health of residents. One way will be noise, another will be air pollution. The former would be helped if MnDOT recognized the writing was on the wall and added noise walls to this portion of I-94. But actually getting noise walls can be an extremely complicated process if the DOT wants to make it so. The issue of air pollution is maybe unfixable in the near-term and people should raise more questions about that.

I think the final issue is one of segregation. Minneapolis needs more affordable housing to go in high amenity places like Linden Hills. This is one of the lowest amenity places in the city, although that may change rapidly. SWLRT will be benefit, but otherwise I'd have concerns.
Not sure which amenities you are thinking of, but obviously the farmer's market is next door, the Lund's is within a half-mile, the Target is within a mile. Also within a mile are myriad restaurants, bars and convenience stores, plus a bike shop, pharmacy, community college, and more. It also has access to lots of transit options within a half-mile, including one at it's door step.

This is a little bit of a false equivalency, but compare it to 39th & Xerxes in Linden Hills, which has nothing within a half-mile except a community center and a beach, and the nearest grocery store is over a mile away. It has access to two transit lines, both a half-mile walk.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » September 18th, 2020, 9:08 am

I agree. Skyway access within 1700 feet and rail access within 2500 feet is not a low amenity location.

This will be a location were someone can easily live without a car.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » September 18th, 2020, 10:25 am

Reaching any of these destinations currently requires a walk along wide, desolate streets and crossing a bridge over an interstate highway. There are serious physical and mental barriers that make this site feel isolated, unpleasant, and unsafe.

Obviously everyone is hoping in the near future that that is no longer the case. But let's not pretend like this site is not what it is.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » September 18th, 2020, 2:02 pm

I'm old enough to remember when large swaths of the North Loop were just like this. Then the developers started coming, building right up along the 3rd/4th/94 viaduct, and now look at it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 18th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Honestly, looks really nice, a little small, but needed housing. I wish it had at least one retail space.

DTSB
City Center

Postby DTSB » September 20th, 2020, 3:30 am

I think the city needs to wait on this. Is it fair to put that much affordable housing in one area of the city? With Higher Ground right there, Mary’s Place very close, as is Harbor Lights Shelter. I think once light rail gets in, a developer would build a 10 plus story building that includes some affordable housing.

And, Lunds is a little over a half mile walk. And to be fair, Lunds isn’t marketed towards affordable housing residents.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 21st, 2020, 9:16 am

I think the city needs to wait on this. Is it fair to put that much affordable housing in one area of the city? With Higher Ground right there, Mary’s Place very close, as is Harbor Lights Shelter. I think once light rail gets in, a developer would build a 10 plus story building that includes some affordable housing.

And, Lunds is a little over a half mile walk. And to be fair, Lunds isn’t marketed towards affordable housing residents.

Although, I don't believe we should be concentrating poverty, this isn't a homeless shelter.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » September 21st, 2020, 11:45 am

Personally I think "Market District" would be a better neighborhood moniker.

For this area to really take off - I think the first thing that needs to happen building a new Farmer's Market in the area that includes an indoor building so the market can take place throughout the year...

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » September 21st, 2020, 11:55 am

As to the apartment building being proposed - I don't think something this size is terrible. Look at the North Loop when it first took off.

I do have an issue with the city concentrating affordable/low income housing and social services heavily in certain areas of the city (i.e. Stevens Square/Whittier/Franklin, etc.). I applaud the building that went up in the North Loop, even though it is on the outskirts of the neighborhood. I suppose it has to do do with the price of the land...

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 23rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

I think it’s close enough to rate inclusion. Lee’s Liquor Lounge site up for sale.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -sale.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm

It's a gem, and was relatively cheap last time. I wonder what it's listed for now?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » January 27th, 2021, 10:53 am

It strangely looks like Minneapolis has fenced off and is using an area under the I94 viaduct as overflow for the impound lot. I wonder if this is just for while the impound lot is under construction or a long term issue with them getting rid of some of the land of the impound lot for development.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 27th, 2021, 10:55 am

Interesting.

Impound storage under the 94 viaduct is a better use.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 27th, 2021, 11:03 am

While I'd love to see as much housing and office as possible next to transit, it's also pretty important that an impound lot be transit accessible. Putting the cars underneath the highway viaduct in this area is a perfect marriage of otherwise unwelcome uses. Should be done as much as possible. Should even consider building stacked car storage to free up as much land as possible.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 27th, 2021, 11:22 am

They're investing the current lot, when I biked over the Van White Bridge they were working on the new building. This is just overflow, the new building is also surprisingly large which makes me think this wouldn't fit under the Viaduct anyhow without grabbing a nearby building as the office.