Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hi-Lake - Minnehaha Mall (Target/Cub) - Downtown Longfellow

Postby SurlyLHT » June 2nd, 2020, 12:45 pm

Maybe some of the local corporations and foundations along with the city and neighborhood groups can help find a future where this area is neither abandoned, nor where those who called it home in the past are no longer able to be part of the community like they were prior.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 2nd, 2020, 1:35 pm

It was good to hear that both Aldi and Target plan on reopening, Aldi much sooner than Target.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 3rd, 2020, 6:36 am

This is, I think, one immediate sign the that landscape has changed drastically since the previous waves of riots in the 60's and 90's. There is no longer this feeling of existential peril about the future of the city. It's significant that all of the major tenants in the area all immediately vowed to rebuild and reopen, as did the developer of the affordable housing building that went up in flames.

Hopefully all of the money that has been raised can be targeted towards the small businesses, who are in a much tougher spot.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 3rd, 2020, 9:23 am

I agree. It seems like that the walls of bullshit built up the MPD over the decades to defend egregious actions of its staff are going to fall. End the Stanek rule. Renegotiation of the police union contract that will have broad public and institutional support. Only the most hardcore reactionaries will be howling.

That will make the city better for the those who want to be part of it. Making reinvestment of time, life and wealth that much more attractive.

twincitizen

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby twincitizen » June 5th, 2020, 10:09 am

Moderator note: There is now a dedicated topic for discussing George Floyd's murder, the resulting civil unrest, and ongoing response: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4589

I'd direct more general conversation over there, while focusing conversation here on the physical rebuilding of Hi-Lake / Downtown Longfellow and surroundings.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » September 17th, 2020, 9:03 am

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a dedicated thread for "Midtown Corner," the apartment building the went up in flames earlier this summer (2913 26th Ave S). Wellington cleared the site and is moving quickly on reconstructing the building.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » September 17th, 2020, 9:16 am

The Hiawatha/Lake Target will be reopening in November with a new entrance on the south side of the building, providing better access for people arriving via light rail: https://www.startribune.com/damaged-lak ... /572439942

And here's the Target blog post that's referenced in the story: https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... et-letter#

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » September 20th, 2020, 1:57 pm

The small apartment building at 3136 Minnehaha, approved in June is moving along, with excavation well underway.

Here's a link to the staff report:
https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... haha%20Ave

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » October 4th, 2020, 8:47 pm

The U.S. Bank site on Lake Street will be redeveloped into a mixed use building.

https://m.startribune.com/u-s-bank-reve ... 572540331/

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 5th, 2020, 10:19 am

It sounds like they're also planning to build a new branch at the 36th and Lake intersection, I bet at the Tim Hortons location?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby uptownbro » November 10th, 2020, 3:01 pm

https://www.startribune.com/target-reop ... 573031391/
East Lake target will reopen tomorrow. Huge news for that area

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » November 11th, 2020, 3:09 pm

https://www.startribune.com/target-reop ... 573031391/
East Lake target will reopen tomorrow. Huge news for that area
Open today!

Non-paywall / Official Press release:
https://corporate.target.com/article/20 ... ta-reopens

Apollo
Block E

Postby Apollo » November 11th, 2020, 5:44 pm

The contrast in the ceiling and overall interior decor of the Lake St. Target and Bucktown Atlanta Target store really stood out to me. Lake St. looks dated with that office style drop down ceiling while Bucktown looks drastically different with exposed ceiling and hung lights, really nice architectural ceiling in their grocery area and the flooring as well. I know some Minnesota Target has these details, but it's interesting they didn't do it in Lake St. Target.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 12th, 2020, 10:31 am

The contrast in the ceiling and overall interior decor of the Lake St. Target and Bucktown Atlanta Target store really stood out to me. Lake St. looks dated with that office style drop down ceiling while Bucktown looks drastically different with exposed ceiling and hung lights, really nice architectural ceiling in their grocery area and the flooring as well. I know some Minnesota Target has these details, but it's interesting they didn't do it in Lake St. Target.
From looking at the Press Release I think the Lake St Store has the nicer ceilings. Here's Bloomberg article about it. I think Target is using this to get some good PR. But, I'm so thankful they are not only re-opening, but upgrading the store. An empty big-box would have been a hit to the neighborhood. My wife and I used to live behind the YWCA and went here all the time. Seeing what they're doing with this store makes me want a small Target here in N. Mpls on W. Broadway. (Maybe at the burned out O Reilly)

Also articles like this will hopefully help at least a little bit with showing how Mpls is moving on, learning and rebuilding.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... d-protests

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 12th, 2020, 12:47 pm

The Lake Street Target is not my usual store, but I needed to grab some stuff and figured that I should check it out.

I was really impressed with what they had done to it. I especially like the second entrance closer to the street/light rail station. The inclusion of windows to provide a peek of the store (and bring some light in) really makes it feel better.

I noticed they have quite a few Target Drive Up spots at this location now. Not sure if they just wanted to take up some space that wasn't usually utilized for parking or if they're making a big shift to this model (I assume both?) but it seemed noteworthy.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 12th, 2020, 9:33 pm

...My wife and I used to live behind the YWCA and went here all the time. Seeing what they're doing with this store makes me want a small Target here in N. Mpls on W. Broadway. (Maybe at the burned out O Reilly)
There used to be one on Lyndale & Broadway- now the Cub Foods. Affectionately called the Targehtto.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 12th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Just to be sure, should this discussion be moved to the downtown Longfellow thread? (Also is downtown Longfellow actually a thing or did someone just make it up for the sake of a thread here?)

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » November 13th, 2020, 7:53 am

I've heard the area around Minnehaha & Lake intersection referred to as 'Downtown Longfellow' for a while.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » December 18th, 2020, 9:46 am

New brewery opening up tomorrow in the old Harriet Brewing space (Minnehaha Ave. and Lake St.):

https://arbeiterbrewing.com/taproom/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 18th, 2020, 10:58 am

It's been kind of surreal watching that place build out, especially with brand new glass, while there were so many messes nearby...