Thrivent HQ & Sherman apartments - 500 7th St S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Thrivent HQ & Sherman apartments - 500 7th St S

Postby grant1simons2 » May 7th, 2020, 6:06 pm

That’s nice, but what can you tell us about this part of the meeting?
https://www.startribune.com/police-minn ... uu-i-57owM

Oh my lord.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Zoom's security problems were well-known before the pandemic, so it's not surprising it happened on that platform.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » October 15th, 2020, 10:35 am

From October 9th

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 15th, 2020, 11:09 am

Great shot. I really like how Thrivent's new HQ turned out. I didn't realize there was a ramp leading to underground parking.

Wish Hennepin County would do something with the exterior back side of Thrivent's old building. At least paint it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 15th, 2020, 12:55 pm

I believe that the solid portion is granite facing, so I'd say that's better than any paint they might cover it with.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 15th, 2020, 2:49 pm

A mural would be an improvement, but I agree that if they were to just paint it a solid color it would be worse.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Or the city could have said the proposal on the backside of the building with twice as much parking as housing is crap go try again but that ship has sailed.

And yes I know Thrivent demand those spots which isn't the problem the problem is how bland and unimaginative the surrounding apartment building is.

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » October 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Or the city could have said the proposal on the backside of the building with twice as much parking as housing is crap go try again but that ship has sailed.

And yes I know Thrivent demand those spots which isn't the problem the problem is how bland and unimaginative the surrounding apartment building is.
I actually like the design of the building. True - wish it had been taller. More importantly, should included street level retail to cater to the increasing number of residents and workers in this area, as well as visitors to the park, stadium instead of skyway level retail.

HKM
Block E

Postby HKM » October 20th, 2020, 10:03 am

I actually like the design of the building. True - wish it had been taller. More importantly, should included street level retail to cater to the increasing number of residents and workers in this area, as well as visitors to the park, stadium instead of skyway level retail.
There is a coffee shop with beer and wine on the street level of the building on Portland Ave. I could be mistaken but it appears it will be open to the public in non-covid times since it has outdoor entry, signage (small round sign semi-obscured by trees in the absolute nearest corner of the pic), and space for outdoor seating. Not saying this is adequate retail, but beats empty storefronts.

It will be interesting to see what street-level retails goes in with in-development projects nearby:
*Daycare planned for street level of adjacent apartment building
*There is a diner planned for the street level of the (stalled?) "Smith Lot project" at the SE corner of 7th Street & 5th Ave
*Street level retail is planned for the under-construction building on the south side of 8th Street between Park and Portland (there's a new-build Wells Fargo branch on the SE corner of 8th & Portland)
*Vacant street-level retail at NE corner of Washington & Park
*TBA street-level retail at Zygi's under-construction building on SW corner of Washington & Park