LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
spearson
Landmark Center

Re: Loring Park Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby spearson » December 27th, 2012, 8:51 am

I don't know much about engineering either, but I've been watching large buildings being built in Chicago for awhile now, so maybe I can make some sense of it.

We're used to watching smaller low-midrise buildings being built, where they just drive sheet piles down below the level of the basements so they can excavate without collapse. Here, they aren't doing that (or if they are, it is a small part of what they are doing). They are driving support piles down to the bedrock, which takes much more time. It also looks like they are preparing to start drilling cassions-- steel-lined shafts that go down to the bedrock which are then filled with rebar and pumped full of concrete. Piling to support a skyscraper takes much longer than sheet piling to enable excavation.
Yeah, I think they go all the way down to the limestone layer, some 90 ft down.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » January 2nd, 2013, 2:27 pm

Saw sections of one of the two black boom cranes being hauled off of the site this morning...
Last edited by Andrew_F on January 2nd, 2013, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 2nd, 2013, 3:00 pm

I wonder when they are going to assemble the big tower crane...the base has been in for a couple weeks.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 2nd, 2013, 7:29 pm

I wonder when they are going to assemble the big tower crane...the base has been in for a couple weeks.
Soon, the boom is here.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » January 3rd, 2013, 12:00 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I thought I'd bring up the school conversation again. I'm sure a lot of you read the DT Journal's piece a few weeks ago on the issue of school options in downtown. There really aren't any. It's one of the reasons my wife and I chose not to buy a condo since we'd have to find other schooling arrangements for our two daughters.

I know we all like office/condo/apartment towers, but there's a lot more to the city than tall buildings. If anything, the school district should use the lot to expand the school so that downtown residents have a good school option. Who knows, they could come up with a 6-10 story school with mixed use facilities which could benefit the neighborhood.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 3rd, 2013, 1:39 pm

I know this is a bit late, but I thought I'd bring up the school conversation again. I'm sure a lot of you read the DT Journal's piece a few weeks ago on the issue of school options in downtown. There really aren't any. It's one of the reasons my wife and I chose not to buy a condo since we'd have to find other schooling arrangements for our two daughters.

I know we all like office/condo/apartment towers, but there's a lot more to the city than tall buildings. If anything, the school district should use the lot to expand the school so that downtown residents have a good school option. Who knows, they could come up with a 6-10 story school with mixed use facilities which could benefit the neighborhood.
I think we'd all be happy with just about ANY public schooling expansion, because it would mean more for the city than most developments ever could! Not everything has to be big, tall or even beautiful to garner excitement.....the Whole Foods and Lunds were extremely popular. As is the prospects for a future DT park or green area. There's even a lot of chatter about renovating the Armory.

So I don't necessarily think it's all about towers and big [Richards] in this forum, but they're very easy to love.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 3rd, 2013, 4:03 pm

I think we'd all be happy with just about ANY public schooling expansion, because it would mean more for the city than most developments ever could! Not everything has to be big, tall or even beautiful to garner excitement.....the Whole Foods and Lunds were extremely popular. As is the prospects for a future DT park or green area. There's even a lot of chatter about renovating the Armory.

So I don't necessarily think it's all about towers and big [Richards] in this forum, but they're very easy to love.
Oh yeah, well I went to Super Tall High...

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » January 4th, 2013, 3:36 am

Oh yeah, well I went to Super Tall High...
Lol

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 30th, 2013, 11:53 am

I drove past this site this morning and they had the street blocked off while they were assembling a really tall boom crane. Hoping it's in preparation for installing the stationary tower crane. It's nice to see so much activity!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 30th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Just went by here...no crane today. They were actually disassembling one of the smaller cranes, so now there is just one. I suppose this means the big one will go up soon though probably.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 31st, 2013, 3:40 pm

Yeah, looks like the big crane will be going up here the next day or so. They have the big crane assembling boom in the street, and I have seen a couple pieces of yellow tower crane go by on LaSalle today.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 1st, 2013, 7:36 am

Yeah, looks like the big crane will be going up here the next day or so. They have the big crane assembling boom in the street, and I have seen a couple pieces of yellow tower crane go by on LaSalle today.
I am pretty excited about this tower!! Since the church I go to is on the other side of the park, guess I am going to have to go to chruch more then once every couple months. Just want to see how fast this tower is being built in person, maybe even take a pic or two? 8-)

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 1st, 2013, 3:22 pm

Yup, the tower crane is going up. What a miserably cold day to be climbing around 150 feet in the air. I took a blurry pic, I'll post later.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 1st, 2013, 6:09 pm

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 1st, 2013, 7:52 pm

:shock: Whoa!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 1st, 2013, 8:55 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that guy is going to get a lot taller over the next several months, no?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 2nd, 2013, 4:52 am

Correct.

Taller tower cranes build themselves as they go up-- because boom cranes can't reach them, and because they need the support of the building they're building to help hold them up.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 2nd, 2013, 12:07 pm

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » February 2nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » February 2nd, 2013, 4:23 pm

Correct.

Taller tower cranes build themselves as they go up-- because boom cranes can't reach them, and because they need the support of the building they're building to help hold them up.
I have never understood how a crane builds itself so I googled it today,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE&sns=em