Ideas / Wish List for Mpls in 2021-2022

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Ideas / Wish List for Mpls in 2021-2022

Postby Austinite » January 15th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Thought I would start a strand for people to share things they would like to see happen in Minneapolis this year and going forward. I think the city has really made huge strides in greening efforts, walking/biking infrastructure improvements, etc. and it seems building continues in areas of the city.

Thoughts/ideas?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Ideas / Wish List for Mpls in 2021

Postby SurlyLHT » January 18th, 2021, 12:46 pm

1)Small, but the "Caveman: at Theo Wirth has been really popular. It would be nice to see this develop into an entire village created by local artists. The village could rotate throughout the city's parks throughout the year.

2) See UHT to continue moving forward.

3) That the city comes to peace with a Public Safety plan and has a safer 2021.

4)Finally, a reorganizing priorities. By that I mean, with COVID and changing times I feel like the city needs to focus more on supporting businesses and residents in need and adapting to the new digital/app based/WFH era we've entered. It feels like our city and leaders have yet to pivot policy wise and are continuing prior policies and ideas. (We've already gotten much of walking/biking low-hanging fruit) I especially feel there is a need to serve the small businesses, from getting out of their way (The permit issue with properties destroyed by the unrest) to offering tax relief. (Midwest Mountaineering said at one point their taxes paid roughly equate to their yearly profits. )

5)Our Downtown comes back to life.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 18th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Does a Lyndale Ave S road diet count?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 18th, 2021, 8:01 pm

1) Recovery of retail and restaurant in the city.
2) Continued rebuild of lake st from this summer
3) Road diet for Lyndale S

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 18th, 2021, 8:16 pm

1)Small, but the "Caveman: at Theo Wirth has been really popular. It would be nice to see this develop into an entire village created by local artists. The village could rotate throughout the city's parks throughout the year.

4)Finally, a reorganizing priorities. By that I mean, with COVID and changing times I feel like the city needs to focus more on supporting businesses and residents in need and adapting to the new digital/app based/WFH era we've entered. It feels like our city and leaders have yet to pivot policy wise and are continuing prior policies and ideas. (We've already gotten much of walking/biking low-hanging fruit) I especially feel there is a need to serve the small businesses, from getting out of their way (The permit issue with properties destroyed by the unrest) to offering tax relief. (Midwest Mountaineering said at one point their taxes paid roughly equate to their yearly profits. )

At least bring back the caveman in the winter. Kinda like Minne (the lake monster) in the summer time.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » January 19th, 2021, 8:42 am

Shutting down the parkways around the lakes and the creek to car travel permanently with gates or jersey barriers would really improve the park system for pedestrians and bikers.

It was so cool to experience the parks without having to worry about drivers last year.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » January 19th, 2021, 9:26 am

The city needs to work on getting people back downtown. If COVID restrictions are lifted by fall, I would like to see the city work with the Daytons Project to bring back the annual holiday show, and Bachmanns Flower Show.

Also move the holiday market back to Peavy Plaza, and bring back the Holidazzle parade back in some fashion, even if it is only for a few nights.

I think having activities that bring families downtown will do wonders to improve the perception of downtown and the city as a whole.

I would be fine with the city budgeting a few million dollars on improving community/civic pride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 19th, 2021, 10:01 am

Install as many bus lanes as possible downtown before people come back!

I do not understand why Mpls Public Works is taking so long to put in place a cheap thing that the city's plans call for (and that they won a small grant to implement).

I'd also hope to see some of the most important plans in the city come out with good results. Hoping to see a new alignment for the Blue Line Extension that directly serves North Minneapolis, bus and protected bike lanes in the Hennepin Ave S redesign, and a breakthrough on the Midtown Greenway extension as part of a trade with the railroad over the 31st Ave Bridge. Oh, and cancel the Nicollet Streetcar, so that Nicollet/Central aBRT can be planned properly.
Last edited by alexschief on January 19th, 2021, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 19th, 2021, 10:10 am

Well, you see, there's snow on the ground 19 months of the year in Minneapolis, so it's extremely easy to build car infrastructure but completely impossible to build anything else.

I'm excited to see what 2021 looks like for the Nice Ride system. The e-bikes were already a hit last year, with limited commuting and even more limited other places to go, and they tweeted at the end of the season that they've got twice as many ready to go for 2021, which should pretty well enable city-wide coverage if they can get enough of the blue racks out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 19th, 2021, 10:33 am

Im in the minority but if it can get right of way which I think if parking was removed on Nicollet is doable I want the line. I like the street car from downtown to uptown or even the greenway street car idea. Its not cost efficient I know.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 19th, 2021, 10:52 am

Im in the minority but if it can get right of way which I think if parking was removed on Nicollet is doable I want the line. I like the street car from downtown to uptown or even the greenway street car idea. Its not cost efficient I know.
I concur. We've set such a terrible precident in this region by building suburban focused rail lines, and pushing the city to abandon the one rail project we've come up with to solely serve the densest and transit-using areas in Minneapolis isn't a great look IMO.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » January 19th, 2021, 11:32 am

I would love to see planning begin for a public art/architecture installation that involves as much individual participation as possible. I'm thinking along the lines of the MN Wild's "This Is Our Ice" opportunity, which invites people to bring water from their favorite lake or pond to create their home ice. If the unrest and pandemic have reminded us of anything, it's that we're truly all in this together. I think an enduring, built structure that captures this spirit of community would be amazing.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » January 19th, 2021, 1:42 pm

No more on-street bike lanes without barriers.

Cat349F
Nicollet Mall

Postby Cat349F » January 19th, 2021, 6:16 pm

I’m hoping Minnesota can go the whole year without making the national news.
Unsustainable fossil burning fool.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 20th, 2021, 9:14 am

Ill say I hope MN can go a whole year without making the new unless its for positive things about the state.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:51 pm

All great wishes!!

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:52 pm

The city needs to work on getting people back downtown. If COVID restrictions are lifted by fall, I would like to see the city work with the Daytons Project to bring back the annual holiday show, and Bachmanns Flower Show.

Also move the holiday market back to Peavy Plaza, and bring back the Holidazzle parade back in some fashion, even if it is only for a few nights.

I think having activities that bring families downtown will do wonders to improve the perception of downtown and the city as a whole.

I would be fine with the city budgeting a few million dollars on improving community/civic pride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I am right with you on all points!! Just made similar comment in the retail/restaurant thread in response to more closings.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:56 pm

I am just not in favor of removing street parking along streets not in the downtown core that are lined with successful small businesses (or businesses in general, even national businesses). Doing so along Nicollet/Eat Street would really hurt those businesses. Really feel like the removal of parking along Hennepin between Lake and 31/32nd was a huge mistake.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:58 pm

New wish list - make parking downtown more easy/affordable. Lower hourly rates at parking meters, and do away with having to pay after 6 PM. Work with parking ramps to come up with some type of affordable parking option for visitors.

*I know the city is hurting for money, but I don't think it would have been a bad idea to have done away paid street parking during these last few months to try to encourage people to visit downtown when it was safer and things were reopening.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 11:59 pm

Make parking downtown more easy/affordable. Lower hourly rates at parking meters, and do paid street parking in the core after 6 PM, at least on the weekends! Work with parking ramps to come up with some type of affordable parking option for visitors.

*I know the city is hurting for money, but I don't think it would have been a bad idea to have done away paid street parking during these last few months to try to encourage people to visit downtown when it was safer and things were reopening.