Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby xandrex » December 10th, 2020, 11:35 am

I like this design much better than what currently exists, but I have to agree with DanPatchToget...why the two-way bikeway? I'd much rather have a protected lane on each side, and this forces a "to continue, please wait to cross this intersection and then wait again" where two-way bikeways run into normal bike lanes.

Also, is a 4-foot width the standard for bike lanes? Is there a reason we can't steal a foot or two from the boulevards to at least make this bikeway a bit wider?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » December 10th, 2020, 11:54 am

I like this design much better than what currently exists, but I have to agree with DanPatchToget...why the two-way bikeway? I'd much rather have a protected lane on each side, and this forces a "to continue, please wait to cross this intersection and then wait again" where two-way bikeways run into normal bike lanes.

Also, is a 4-foot width the standard for bike lanes? Is there a reason we can't steal a foot or two from the boulevards to at least make this bikeway a bit wider?
Bryant is pretty easy to cross, I don't see this being an issue. I've also had the same issue with one way protected bike lanes. I often go the wrong way on the Plymouth Avenue protected bike lanes because there is too much traffic to cross into the proper protected bike lane. I just look over my shoulder and wait usually a block or so before I can hop over. (And that is without regular rush hour.)

Maybe we should make some of these protected bike lanes on both sides two ways on both sides? We have two-way Mtb trails which are much narrower.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » December 28th, 2020, 11:54 am

If any of you commute on Highway 10 through Anoka and Ramsay you're in for a world of hurt starting next year and running through ~2025 as three projects get underway.

First is the project rebuilding Highway 10 from West Main to Thurston. West Main bridge gets replaced and exit ramps get round-abouts, Fairoak intersection is removed and turned into an underpass, and Thurston get's an underpass interchange.

Second is 7th Ave to West Main. Work to the rail overpass, removal of both the current bridge and old rail bridge at 4th street and replaced with single bridge, and replacement of the Ferry Street bridge.

Third is projects to Ramsay Blvd, and Sunfish Blvd in Ramsay (immediately west of Thurston Av). These intersections will become overpasses.

Upon completion of all of these, Highway 10 will be free of lights all the way out to 171st Ave in Elk River.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 28th, 2020, 11:58 am

Ramsey County's Rice Street Visioning Study (redesigning Rice from Pennsylvania Ave to Wheelock Pkwy) continues to move forward. The study team has posted design concepts that could be applied to Rice, all of which assume that the current four lane configuration is no longer viable.

Provide feedback on the concepts here: https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/r ... udy-design

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 28th, 2020, 12:13 pm

All of these would be an improvement. aBRT seems like the biggest X-factor here, both in terms of the space needed for the stations and the potential benefits of left-turn lanes.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » December 28th, 2020, 2:58 pm

All of these would be an improvement. aBRT seems like the biggest X-factor here, both in terms of the space needed for the stations and the potential benefits of left-turn lanes.
The one thing I don't like with these road diets is that in most cases it prevents bus lanes from being implemented.

We need to be fighting wherever possible for future abrt to follow the potential footsteps of hennepin and have bus lanes implemented.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 28th, 2020, 3:17 pm

If any of you commute on Highway 10 through Anoka and Ramsay you're in for a world of hurt starting next year and running through ~2025 as three projects get underway.

First is the project rebuilding Highway 10 from West Main to Thurston. West Main bridge gets replaced and exit ramps get round-abouts, Fairoak intersection is removed and turned into an underpass, and Thurston get's an underpass interchange.

Second is 7th Ave to West Main. Work to the rail overpass, removal of both the current bridge and old rail bridge at 4th street and replaced with single bridge, and replacement of the Ferry Street bridge.

Third is projects to Ramsay Blvd, and Sunfish Blvd in Ramsay (immediately west of Thurston Av). These intersections will become overpasses.

Upon completion of all of these, Highway 10 will be free of lights all the way out to 171st Ave in Elk River.
There is also a project on 169 to remove the stop lights in Elk River running 2022-2024. It will be interesting to see how it is managed with this being almost 14 miles of continuous construction.

Also to consider, this is a major “Cabin route” to head up north. I’m thankful that this past year has proven WFH is acceptable and I think it will lead to more flexibility and less “rush hour” traffic.

Project sites:
Hwy 10 — Anoka
Construct new interchange at Thurston Avenue, build underpass at Fairoak Avenue and extend West Main Street; Remove all Hwy 10 access in project area. Scheduled for construction in 2021-2022
https://clients.bolton-menk.com/hwy10/

Hwy 10 — Anoka Rum River Bridge replacement
Replace Hwy 10 bridge over the Rum River;Additional funding being sought to reconstruct Ferry Street (Hwy 47/Hwy 169) interchange and build auxiliary lanes from Ferry Street to Seventh Avenue. Scheduled for construction in 2022
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/proje ... index.html

Hwy 10 — Ramsey
Scheduled for construction in 2023
http://www.anokacountyramseygateway.com/

Hwy 169 — Elk River freeway
Convert three miles of Hwy 169 to a new freeway system through Elk River from Hwy 101/Hwy 10 to 197th Ave, Sherburne County. Corridors of Commerce project. Preliminary design in progress; scheduled for construction in 2022-2024
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/d3/elkriver ... index.html
Last edited by mamundsen on December 28th, 2020, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 28th, 2020, 3:29 pm

The one thing I don't like with these road diets is that in most cases it prevents bus lanes from being implemented.

We need to be fighting wherever possible for future abrt to follow the potential footsteps of hennepin and have bus lanes implemented.
I don't completely agree, there are many areas where there simply isn't enough congestion to warrant bus lanes, and where that right-of-way (a significant amount!) would be far better used to provide great pedestrian and bicycle facilities. Rice Street is in that category to my mind, but Hennepin is not, I think Hennepin does need bus lanes.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » December 28th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I don't completely agree, there are many areas where there simply isn't enough congestion to warrant bus lanes, and where that right-of-way (a significant amount!) would be far better used to provide great pedestrian and bicycle facilities. Rice Street is in that category to my mind, but Hennepin is not, I think Hennepin does need bus lanes.
There isn't enough congestion now but if traffic is reduced to 2 lanes. Then moving around a long line of cars can become more beneficial and also great advertising to get people out of cars.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 28th, 2020, 8:49 pm

If any of you commute on Highway 10 through Anoka and Ramsay you're already experiencing a world of hurt...

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 17th, 2021, 5:53 pm

There is a new study underway for Hwy 77 between 494 and Apple Valley:
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/proje ... tings.html

Youtube presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDSBnhhMjA
Public input is an integral part of the Hwy 77/Cedar Ave. corridor study. Throughout this year, the community will have opportunities to provide input on the corridor and provide feedback. Information about upcoming meetings will be posted as details become available.
Wed, Jan. 27
Virtual open house #1
12-1:30 p.m.
A link to this event will be posted on Jan. 27
Call in option available by dialing: 844-621-3956
Access code: 145 658 3386

Wed, Jan. 27
Virtual open house #2
6-7:30 p.m.
A link to this event will be posted on Jan. 27
Call in option available by dialing: 844-621-3956
Access code: 145 612 2505

Online open house available until Feb. 14

Review the presentation to learn about the project, existing conditions and anticipated schedule
Participate on the interactive map and tell us about your concerns, issues and ideas
Join our email list to receive project updates
EDIT:
I've also come across upcoming meetings for the I-94/252 project. Some EIS presentations should also be available soon.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/proje ... tings.html
Fri, Feb. 12
Virtual Policy Advisory Committee meeting
1-2:30 p.m.
Register for this meeting
This meeting is open to the public to attend and comment. There will be a 15-minute open comment period at the end of the meeting for attendees to provide comments on the project.

Wed, Feb. 3
EIS “101” virtual listening sessions: Listening Session #1
5-6:30 p.m.
Registration information will be posted when available.

Public EIS 101 virtual listening sessions are opportunities for the public to learn more about specific project topics and to offer comments and questions to project subject matter experts.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 22nd, 2021, 12:36 pm

What is the forum's opinion on this project? I'm unsure exactly what they're proposing, I've gotten the impression they're trying to do to 94 in the Northside what was done to 35w in South. Honestly, I would rather see the highway take a diet since it's rarely congested from Downtown to 694/94. (252 is another story.)

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/proje ... index.html

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 22nd, 2021, 1:47 pm

I feel like the outcome is going to be a conversion of one lane to MnPass. Like you said 94 is rarely congested and it's one of the newest freeways in the region (I believe it opened in the early 1980s).

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 22nd, 2021, 1:50 pm

I mean, the ideal outcome would be eliminating it entirely and reconnecting the Northside to the river.

But if that's not on the table (it should, at minimum, be studied) then the absolute baseline should be a BRT line and a MnPass lane, with no expansion of the highway footprint. Anything less than that and Minneapolis should refuse municipal consent.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » January 22nd, 2021, 3:28 pm

In the hypothetical world where 94 through N Mpls is removed, what do you do to the route numbering? (I like to think about these weird details.)

Eliminate I-694 route number, entirety of old I-694 is now just I-94.
Re-designate I-394 / remnant of old I-94 as just US-12 from Minnetonka to Oakdale. (Bonus, this makes removing the freeway segment between the downtowns much easier because they're no longer "interstates").

I wonder how many people would bemoan the loss of any of the I-94 segments simply for the fact that the urban route would become less "continuous"? It's funny how abstract concepts like route numbers / through-routing take an inordinate prominence in these discussions sometimes.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 22nd, 2021, 4:15 pm

I mean, the ideal outcome would be eliminating it entirely and reconnecting the Northside to the river.
North was disconnected from the river long before 94 went in.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 22nd, 2021, 4:57 pm

North was disconnected from the river long before 94 went in.
I think you knew what I meant.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 25th, 2021, 12:11 pm

We have a major lack of signage, lighting and general street paint in Minneapolis. I watch about 10-20 people drive on the 5th St tracks downtown a day, a fix would be a total of 12 bollards, 3 at each intersection, with arrows.

Here's a story out today about the new lanes on Johnson. I wrote an email last year pushing for a roundabout here with zero luck. People are going 40+ mph off of 35W and then need to merge into one lane, or turn left. Really, this is a problem with how the city either can't coordinate with MnDot, or won't at all. The Johnson exit should be reduced to a single lane, or shifted to the right to allow for right turns into the Quarry, making it clear that the lane is exit only, far in advance. I'm really tired of watching shitty drivers trying to operate on our shitty streets to no fault of their own.

https://www.startribune.com/drivers-say ... 600014639/

Also, why is Johnson 4 lanes from the Quarry to Broadway? These are things that can be fixed with paint and barriers in a pinch, and we should be doing that everywhere we can.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 25th, 2021, 12:29 pm

For the 94 project, there is quite a bit of land between the highway and the sound walls. If they eliminated a lane or two it would be great to see this land developed. Relinquishing that would create space for housing, parks or businesses. It looks like planners thought they would be expanding the freeway in the future. You can see all the current green space in the snippet, it would be nice to return some of that to the tax base.

The best we could maybe hope for is for it to be converted into something like 3rd Ave S Downtown? Rename it after Prince then or something might be cool. Also if you removed the freeway, you could remove the viaduct in North Loop

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » January 25th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Here's a story out today about the new lanes on Johnson. I wrote an email last year pushing for a roundabout here with zero luck. People are going 40+ mph off of 35W and then need to merge into one lane, or turn left. Really, this is a problem with how the city either can't coordinate with MnDot, or won't at all. The Johnson exit should be reduced to a single lane, or shifted to the right to allow for right turns into the Quarry, making it clear that the lane is exit only, far in advance. I'm really tired of watching shitty drivers trying to operate on our shitty streets to no fault of their own.
Is there a proper cycle-friendly roundabout (with a protected lane around the outside) anywhere in the city? In the state?