Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby Nick » December 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm

No :(
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

If happily be open to a development that didn't touch anything on the southern edge of the block. I have a hard time imagining uptown without that ace hardware though. It was a frequent stop for me.

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby twincitizen » January 31st, 2021, 4:21 pm

Abi's Cafe, a Salvadoran pupusa restaurant that has been operating from a tiny storefront near Lake & Bloomington (right next door to Taqueria Cuatro Milpas, which btw is the best), will soon relocate to the former Egg & I location in LynLake - 2828 Lyndale. The old location closes its doors today (1.31) and she plans on opening the new one in mid-February, city approvals/inspections willing.

twincitizen

Re: Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Discussion

Postby twincitizen » January 31st, 2021, 4:37 pm

MOD NOTE: the formerly separate thread for Uptown Retail & Restaurant News had gotten pretty quiet, so I merged the posts from 2018-2020 into this main thread here and archived/locked the older posts from 2012-17. Makes sense to have just one Uptown general thread.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2021, 10:58 am

I was just browsing around on the Hennepin Co Property map as one does for hours in pandemic fueled mania... and trying to figure out/fantasize about the best and next uptown developments. I've long thought the lot east of lunds would and should go soon. But in inspecting the area just to the west I noticed that 1508 w Hennepin the site of a condo building which had a tragic fire is now owned by the same group as owns the commercial building to its east. Easily making enough space for a quarter block development! Would be a great opportunity I wouldn't let sit around.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 17th, 2021, 12:41 pm

(Assuming you mean 1508 W. Lake Street, right?)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2021, 12:44 pm

(Assuming you mean 1508 W. Lake Street, right?)
Yessssss!!!

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 17th, 2021, 1:19 pm

I believe a new ternate recently went into the east side of the retail building. To me not counting lots that already have proposals for them, the one story building at lagoon and freemont next to the new planned parenthood. It drives me crazy given its prime location as well as the front facing parking lot

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » February 17th, 2021, 3:45 pm

Re: the question of yet-to-be-developed parcels, I'm really surprised that the Lynlake parking lot RFP (for the parking lot behind the former Fuji-Ya) was canceled and that this acre (!) of land still hasn't attracted any interested parties. I personally think LynLake has more of that lively, alternative spirit than Lake/Hennepin at this point, and it would be great to bring more residents (and thus more economic activity) to this intersection. I'd also like to see the former Fuji-Ya building studied for historic designation. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was the first Japanese Restaurant in Minnesota. I think the building also has some interesting Modernist features, but last time I was over there it looked like the building took a bit of a beating during the George Floyd riots.

Relatedly, hoping those empty commercial spaces at that intersection (old Prieto building and the historic ivory brick building just across Lake) get filled in. I walked by there the other day and saw a poster that said #FixLyndale. Anyone know what this is alluding to?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 17th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Fuji-ya may have been the first Japanese restaurant (maybe?) but that was not it's first location, it was the third. It's an ok building- but adding that site to the parking lot parcel might make it more palatable.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » February 18th, 2021, 9:07 am

Relatedly, hoping those empty commercial spaces at that intersection (old Prieto building and the historic ivory brick building just across Lake) get filled in. I walked by there the other day and saw a poster that said #FixLyndale. Anyone know what this is alluding to?
#FixLyndale is people who live along Lyndale, primarily between Franklin and Lake, trying to get Hennepin County to fix the murder by driver problem.

https://twitter.com/fixlyndale?s=21
https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/2 ... le-avenue/

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 18th, 2021, 9:17 am

I think they might have closed after the first lock down so its been empty for some time. I walk by it every few weeks and it looks like its not in great shape at this point but maybe thats just the boards(which the city should do what it can to encourage business to take those down).
I think having it be part of the parking lot would attract a much more interesting proposal.
The biggest issue with Lyndale is just the utter lack of cross walks. I drive Lyndale to work between Franklin and Lake. Its a mess of speeding cars, people jumping in and out of the streets with almost no regard and buses that are 5 min late to there next stop. The worst part is Lyndale and Franklin.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » February 18th, 2021, 9:36 am

Re: the question of yet-to-be-developed parcels, I'm really surprised that the Lynlake parking lot RFP (for the parking lot behind the former Fuji-Ya) was canceled and that this acre (!) of land still hasn't attracted any interested parties. I personally think LynLake has more of that lively, alternative spirit than Lake/Hennepin at this point, and it would be great to bring more residents (and thus more economic activity) to this intersection. I'd also like to see the former Fuji-Ya building studied for historic designation. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was the first Japanese Restaurant in Minnesota. I think the building also has some interesting Modernist features, but last time I was over there it looked like the building took a bit of a beating during the George Floyd riots.

#FixLyndale refers to the communities desire to change traffic from 4 to 3 lanes since it's really dangerous for pedestrians to cross that stroad at each intersection between Franklin to 31st.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » February 18th, 2021, 11:23 am

Good points all around!

I know Fuji-Ya was the first Japanese restaurant in Minnesota (per Southwest Journal). https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/b ... n-lynlake/ However, thanks for noting that this wasn't the initial location. I've walked by recently and it looks like the building, in addition to being boarded up, has some damage to its masonry. I agree that demolishing would make redevelopment easier-- just interested in getting a better idea of the cost/benefits of preserving. Retail spaces offered in new apartment complexes are often astronomical and sit empty for years, so I wonder if preserving an older commercial building would allow Lyn-Lake to support more small businesses.

Also, thanks for explaining #FixLyndale-- I agree that crossing Lyndale can be like crossing the River Styx.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 18th, 2021, 12:42 pm

The preito building is actually up for sale right now for a cool 1.95 million. There are 3 apartments in the upstairs which I didn't know existed always thought it was office space

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 18th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 18th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Ok so it says Prieto has a lease through 2029 but they have long since left for a different part of the city.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » February 22nd, 2021, 10:35 am

re: developer demand for the Lyn-Lake parking lot. I randomly started following a few developers on Twitter and it sounds like the Lyn-Lake submarket (however they define it) is having issues filling units in newly built buildings. So there's probably not an appetite for taking on a project that huge (besides that CPED canceled the RFP to focus on rebuilding elsewhere).

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » February 22nd, 2021, 10:46 am

I would believe as I recently toured and price checked alot of places around that part of the city; I live in/close to that area (assuming how they define it). There were alot of new units that hit the market in the lyn-lake /uptown area of the past 12 months. Add in a mix of entertainment / bars closed in the area plus unrest in the street I think has impacted the supply and demand dynamic in the area.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » March 10th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Bryant Lake Bowl is trending on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgS54fqKxf0

Nice to see some good publicity for Minneapolis.