Downtown Retail & Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Oof! It's so depressing. According to the article, Banana Republic in IDS closed earlier this year and the Juut Salon in Gavidae will close soon.

I do think the Star Tribune has produced an disproportionate number of articles about downtown Minneapolis. What's the future of the 494 office strip, which I imagine is just as empty as downtown buildings? How about Southdale or MOA, which aren't the healthiest retail locations either right now? The health of retail everywhere is pretty awful right now due to the pandemic, some context would be helpful...
It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 28th, 2021, 6:01 pm

It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.
Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

No one says "I love Eden Prairie because it's so vibrant and lively"

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 28th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Looking at Gaviidae's website leaves me with more questions than answers http://www.gaviidaecommon.com/ Image
While that's good for a snicker, unfortunately the 'answer' appears to be that either no one cares, no one is paying attention, or both.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 28th, 2021, 8:48 pm

Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

Fwiw I ventured to EP center yesterday and saw a level of activity that would make Steve Cramer weep with envy, to say nothing of what I've seen at MOA. The new Scheels has really brought a new crowd to that mall specifically. No, I sadly think this is going to be more of a downtown problem than anything which is not what this city needs right now.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:43 am

Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:44 am

I have never heard anyone say, "I love Eden Prairie..."

Silophant

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby Silophant » March 29th, 2021, 10:11 am

According to their Facebook page, the Nicollet Diner will be reopening in the old Ichiban building this summer, alongside Roxy's Cabaret. Then, the Nicollet Diner space on the corner of 15th and Nicollet will become a pizza, chicken, and hoagie-focused sports bar.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 29th, 2021, 10:26 am

Ichiban across from the Hyatt? It sees like such a large space for the Diner.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 29th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Ichiban across from the Hyatt? It sees like such a large space for the Diner.
The dinner and a cabaret it says.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 29th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I love Eden Prairie...

If I had more money and wasn't attached to the family house located elsewhere it would be towards the top of the list of places I'd want to live.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » March 29th, 2021, 6:28 pm

According to their Facebook page, the Nicollet Diner will be reopening in the old Ichiban building this summer, alongside Roxy's Cabaret. Then, the Nicollet Diner space on the corner of 15th and Nicollet will become a pizza, chicken, and hoagie-focused sports bar.
This was supposed to have already happened in January
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... house.html

I'm actually pretty excited for this. I really like Nicollet Diner. They are open all night and their staff is great.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 30th, 2021, 5:30 am

Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.
Uh, yeah. That was precisely my point: downtown ‘stuff’ (like, you know, ...‘events’) was effectively eliminated. Suburban ‘stuff’ (like quiet neighborhoods, kids playing in cul de sacs, backyard BBQ, driving to grocery stores or whatever they like to do out in EP) is largely unchanged even if many suburban businesses have also suffered or gone out of business. Hence the focus of news coverage on the impacts to downtown, which was the original question raised.

BikesOnFilm
Foshay Tower

Postby BikesOnFilm » March 30th, 2021, 7:21 am

Which is why it's good news for recovery that residential projects downtown largely have moved forward full steam ahead. It'll be easier for events and retail to come back if there's a nearby population to serve versus trying in vain to argue with the EP crowd about crime.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2021, 8:31 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby Anondson » April 5th, 2021, 8:41 am

Nice north woods background for Nicollet going on there. And the stealth parking garage that looms over everything.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 5th, 2021, 9:24 am

Am I the only one who sees "Live Shows!" and thinks strip club?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » April 5th, 2021, 9:40 am

Hate losing the Japanese architecture, especially for something so terrible looking.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 5th, 2021, 10:02 am

This looks awful. A diner/cabaret with the original architecture would be cool as hell.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » April 5th, 2021, 10:38 am

I think it is a bit generous to call that "Japanese architecture." Also, this rendering is clearly lacking detail--notice how the residential buildings in the background look like they were made in Minecraft? I'm sure the final product will look substantially better.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 5th, 2021, 10:48 am

At least it'll be cheap to eventually tear down.

But if you're going to go to the trouble of redoing the building, why wouldn't you make it nice? If you're not going to make it nice, why not just embrace the bizarre faux-pagoda that exists today?