South Nicollet-Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MNdible
is great.

Re: South Nicollet / Kingfield-Lyndale-Tangletown-Windom Neighborhoods

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2021, 9:16 am

The massing, scale, and setback of this project really feel good.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 7th, 2021, 9:26 am

I really like it as a good development for a more residential part of the city

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 7th, 2021, 11:09 am

I think it's very good for a number of different reasons if Minneapolis' lower density outer neighborhoods get a couple mid-rises at their major corners for starters.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 7th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Sort of tangential to this topic, but do any of you longtime Kingfielders have any recollection of why 42nd doesn't continue as an arterial road between Nicollet and Lyndale? 42nd Street is a major through route from West River Parkway all the way to Nicollet, but then abruptly becomes a local street west of Nicollet Ave, with 2-way stop signs placed on 42nd (and minor north-south streets given priority). Maybe the answer is just that it's always been this way, but it also feels like it could've been something that was put in place following neighborhood complaints about speeding/cut-through traffic. West of Lyndale, it would make sense that it become a minor local street. But the portion between Lyndale and Nicollet feels weird and unnatural, like it should be a through-street but the stop signs are all turned the wrong way.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

I don't know the history, but I wouldn't say that the minor streets are necessarily given priority. I think it technically is still an arterial over to Lyndale, just subject to the standard Minneapolis basket weave pattern of stop signs (interrupted by the 4 Way at Grand). On Lyndale, the signalized intersection is at 43rd, which sort of makes sense given that it's half the distance between 40th and 46th and the location of Clara Barton.

If you want to see a should-be-arterial deliberately hosed by excessive stop signs, check out 38th Street in St. Louis Park.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2021, 2:33 pm

(That said, the city really does need to go to one-sided parking and probably stripe at least the block of 42nd between Nicollet and Blaisdell.)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2021, 2:44 pm

One last note on this: while the ROW for 42nd is 80' on both sides of Nicollet, the actual built condition throttles down significantly on the west side, and all built evidence suggests it has been like this for a long time (maybe always). This isn't unique to 42nd -- other streets in Kingfield are platted to 80' ROWs, but built out as much narrower streets. It's maybe more likely that the stretch east of Nicollet was widened when the freeway overpass was located there.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 7th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Based on this 1938, 1961, & 1967 aerials- MNdible's hypothesis looks very likely. It appears that it was already widened to 4th Street, which was a main thoroughfare from downtown before the freeways went in. But don't discount the socio-economic & racial implications that stopped the street widening at Nicollet, a historic 'red line' boundary (reinforced with the highway itself.)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » June 8th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Back on the topic of density from these newer buildings, I am thrilled to see so many of these projects planned and take off in recent years. Both Nicollet and Lyndale get very residential south of 31st St. That's not a bad thing (I'm a Lyndale'r) but the lack of multi-family buildings is odd to see on such major throughways.

One lot I'm watching closely in the Lyndale neighborhood is 3536 Nicollet. This massive empty lot had an auto parts and dollar store with an equally large parking lot. The lot was listed for sale after the building was burned down and demolished last year. In the listing they mentioned that the auto shop on the south end of the lot was also interested in selling. All of this gives me hope that a large building goes up there with a decent sized anchor tenant, I'm really hoping for a grocery store.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » June 10th, 2021, 12:47 pm

I heard a rumor this property sold but nothing is reflected in Hennepin County records yet. I'm super pumped about south Nicollet filling in with buildings taller than 3 stories

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 11th, 2021, 9:50 am

Back on the topic of density from these newer buildings, I am thrilled to see so many of these projects planned and take off in recent years. Both Nicollet and Lyndale get very residential south of 31st St. That's not a bad thing (I'm a Lyndale'r) but the lack of multi-family buildings is odd to see on such major throughways.

One lot I'm watching closely in the Lyndale neighborhood is 3536 Nicollet. This massive empty lot had an auto parts and dollar store with an equally large parking lot. The lot was listed for sale after the building was burned down and demolished last year. In the listing they mentioned that the auto shop on the south end of the lot was also interested in selling. All of this gives me hope that a large building goes up there with a decent sized anchor tenant, I'm really hoping for a grocery store.
My suspicion is that this property is now "under control" meaning there is some sort of letter of intent/purchase agreement that is conditioned on approvals of some development. I say suspicion because the property had been listed but was taken down, and it hasn't been put back on market nor has there been a recorded sale.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 29th, 2021, 1:43 pm

To Our New Neighbors,

This is a notification to make you aware that we will be starting construction of the new 4201 Nicollet Avenue Apartment project on the corner of Nicollet and 42nd Ave (the old Curran’s Restaurant location). We are scheduled to start the week of June 7th with an estimated completion date in August/September of 2022. Below are some key milestone target dates for everyone to be aware of:

Demo – week of June 28th.
Earthwork and Earth Retention System – starting the week of July 26th*.
Foundations – starting the week of August 30th*
Precast garage – starting the week of November 1st*.
Framing activities – starting the week of November 22nd*.

Please note that dates can fluctuate and are given as our best guess from the information we have to date. If you have any question or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me at the number indicated above during the duration of the construction process. Once we have selected a project superintendent, I will forward their information on as well as they will have boots on the ground daily.

Sincerely,

Troy McConachie, Sr. Project Manager, LS Black Constructors
https://kingfield.org/currans-site-4201 ... nt-update/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2021, 10:50 am

The Tangletown Neighborhood Association will be holding its monthly board meeting on Monday, July 19 at 7:00pm and all are welcome to attend. We will host this month’s meeting on Zoom, you can click here when you’re ready to join. On the agenda is Merwin Liquors who will discuss their proposal to move a liquor store into the former dollar store location at 46th and Nicollet. This is a preliminary discussion, rezoning by the city would be required. Neighbors are encouraged to attend and there will be an opportunity for questions from the community. The agenda will also include committee and staff updates.
https://tangletown.org/tangletown-board ... g-july-19/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2021, 11:33 am

I didn’t realize Merwin Liquors was a local chain - this would be their 9th location. This would fill a pretty major gap in south Minneapolis liquor stores, as there’s nothing between Lake Street (@Emerson and @Grand) and South Lyndale (53rd). Something near 38th would split the difference a little better than 46th. But there’s no reason (aside from zoning) that someone couldn’t also open one on Nicollet or Lyndale at 36th. Lyndale & 36th would be an ideal spot, replacing one of the car shops

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 14th, 2021, 11:52 am

So, this means Merwin's would need to close their Broadway location, correct?

South Lyndale has also shared plans to relocate further South on Lyndale, down to the SW quadrant of 55th and Lyndale.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 14th, 2021, 12:02 pm

I would love if they closed the W. Broadway location given that it is one of the bloodiest locations in the entire city. With that said, what does, "Move" mean? Sanctuary Covenant owns the rest of the block maybe they purchased it?

Also, unless the owners come forward with a real safety plan I would highly advise against allowing them to move in. Northside's experience is harrowing to say the least. They should not be allowed to operate anywhere within Minneapolis.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 14th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Hypothesis: It is not the bloodiest location in Minneapolis because their liquor store is poorly run.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2021, 2:24 pm

So, this means Merwin's would need to close their Broadway location, correct?
Yes they’d have to close or sell the business to another ownership group.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby minneboom » August 20th, 2021, 7:07 am

Article about design for a new post office that was destroyed along Minnehaha Ave.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... olis-riots

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Postby alexschief » August 20th, 2021, 8:04 am

That's a huge swing and a miss.