Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Postby MinnMonkey » June 9th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Does anyone have access to this article and able to provide details:

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... g-lot.html

I don't like the idea of a surface lot even if it is temporary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 9th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Short excerpt…

“Magna intends to demolish 216 Seventh St. S. later this summer, according to a letter from the company included in the Planning Commission report. The letter describes the building as obsolete due to a lack of elevators and awkward stair and floorplate arrangements that make it “unfit for further commercial use.”

The letter also describes the parking lot and pedestrian plaza as “temporary” uses that are both preferable to a vacant lot. Magna is planning bicycle parking in the space and wrote in the letter that it is exploring options for neighboring Dan Kelly’s Pub to place patio seating on the plaza.”

So not just parking, it mentions a public plaza, too.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » June 10th, 2021, 5:13 am

I thought new surface parking wasn't allowed downtown? Wasn't there a whole kerfuffle when Bobby & Steve's wanted to tear down a building for a lot? (which by the way I just checked and noticed that the "plaza" portion of that project is being used for more parking [with trucks parked a foot away from the public seating])

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2021, 6:39 am

That's correct, it's not. Except when it is, because the CPC loves hearing about plazas and never, ever enforces conditions after the building is built.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 10th, 2021, 7:51 am

They can tear it down when they have a plan for a building to replace it

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » June 10th, 2021, 8:12 am

They can tear it down when they have a plan for a building to replace it
Agreed. This will the the only surface lot in 7th Street between 5th Ave S and 5th Ave N.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 15th, 2021, 2:34 pm

I stand corrected - the temporary parking lot proposal was denied by the Planning Commission last night. Unclear whether they will still demolish the building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 15th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Has anyone seen the 25 foot tall wall of blackish grey CMU for the new 365 Nicollet -> Library skyway?

I blame Nick.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 15th, 2021, 3:45 pm

I cannot understand what's happening there. Is it intended to just be the exterior wall for 315 Nicollet when it's eventually built?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 15th, 2021, 3:50 pm

I think it will link the two buildings if 315 is built. It just looks very odd right now

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 15th, 2021, 3:59 pm

The other building here is likely dead? My friends working in REIT think so at least. Don't know where Development Tracker gets their info.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I assumed it was too, but then I expected them to just build an extension of the elevated skyway to connect to 365 Nicollet, not a solid wall down to ground level.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 22nd, 2021, 8:38 am

A plan to ‘reanimate’ downtown’s Nicollet Mall

Great to see business leaders step up here. It will be hard to make downtown vibrant again without more downtown workers coming back, but OTOH if these groups can do some programming to make nicollet less dead it will hopefully entice more office workers back. Sort of a chicken or egg problem. I'm curious as to what they have planned.

https://finance-commerce.com/2021/06/a- ... llet-mall/

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » July 7th, 2021, 12:58 pm

With all the restrictions lifted and business slowly returning to normal has anyone heard when the Skyways and Target will return to regular hours?

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 14th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Great to see business leaders step up here. It will be hard to make downtown vibrant again without more downtown workers coming back, but OTOH if these groups can do some programming to make nicollet less dead it will hopefully entice more office workers back. Sort of a chicken or egg problem. I'm curious as to what they have planned.

I’ve only been in the downtown core a few widely-spaced times since the pandemic and protests after the George Floyd murder dried up life there. On each visit I’ve found the atmosphere depressing. Everything just feels...wrong, and I wish I could be more confident about a quick return of vitality. Are others seeing signs that I do not?

BTW, the concrete block wall below the skyway from the library to 365 Nicollet screams temporary. I’d be amazed if it didn’t come down with work on a new building on the lot.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » July 14th, 2021, 5:01 pm

I’ve only been in the downtown core a few widely-spaced times since the pandemic and protests after the George Floyd murder dried up life there. On each visit I’ve found the atmosphere depressing. Everything just feels...wrong, and I wish I could be more confident about a quick return of vitality. Are others seeing signs that I do not?

BTW, the concrete block wall below the skyway from the library to 365 Nicollet screams temporary. I’d be amazed if it didn’t come down with work on a new building on the lot.
I live downtown and the past couple weeks things have really started to pick up. I even read that some hotels were sold out this past weekend.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » July 14th, 2021, 7:01 pm

That’s good to hear. And you’re seeing this in the core, not just the Mill District and North Loop?

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » July 14th, 2021, 7:25 pm

That’s good to hear. And you’re seeing this in the core, not just the Mill District and North Loop?
Nicollet was pretty busy this weekend, and the lunch crowd has definitely picked up in the core, especially this week.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » July 14th, 2021, 8:49 pm

I had this same question. A coworker continually says “downtown is back” when referencing his residential neighborhood but then when pressed says the core is only slowly opening as office workers trickle in.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » July 14th, 2021, 9:44 pm

I had this same question. A coworker continually says “downtown is back” when referencing his residential neighborhood but then when pressed says the core is only slowly opening as office workers trickle in.
A neighbor of mine that works for Ameriprise said they are requiring workers to be in the office 3 days a week starting the first week in August. I also know the U of M is having people coming back to the offices that same week.

I think that week we will see the biggest increase in downtown workers, then after labor day see another big increase.