Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Postby uptownbro » July 6th, 2021, 5:38 pm

The uptown art fair has sadly been canceled due to security issues at lake and Hennepin. This is a pretty big blow to a part of uptown that is in need of positive energy.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » July 6th, 2021, 8:06 pm

The uptown art fair has sadly been canceled due to security issues at lake and Hennepin. This is a pretty big blow to a part of uptown that is in need of positive energy.
LOL.

Baloney. We all know with 100% certainty that they are lying when they blame security issues and that in reality the Art Fair is being cancelled solely due to to gross mismanagement and an obviously failed business plan that barely managed to bring in 300,000 attendees.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 6th, 2021, 8:31 pm

The uptown art fair is definitely a laughing stock amongst the twin cities art community. It sounds like a great excuse.

They typically have tons of police presence so I doubt security was the issue.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » July 6th, 2021, 8:57 pm

As long as we're throwing out unfounded opinions, my guess is that the need for security made them feel the event basically had a bullseye on its back.

But yeah, sure, maybe they cancelled the second most attended event in the state because 'the local art community' thinks it's a laughingstock.

I know tons of people that think the State Fair is a laughingstock. Maybe that's next to go...

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » July 7th, 2021, 5:58 am

Why does the "local art community" think the Uptown Art Fair is a laughingstock? What are the issues? What do you mean by the local art community?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 7th, 2021, 7:12 am

Whatever the opinions on the art fair...again with the continued want to deny that there are actually problems with public safety. Well, there are. It isn't "perceived".

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 7th, 2021, 7:38 am

Foodie snobs think McDonald's is a laughingstock. Maybe that'll close next.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 7th, 2021, 7:44 am

The decision to cancel this fair is a big mistake in judgment. The best possible way to address security issues and change the immediate perception of Uptown would be to hold a block party and fill the neighborhood up with thousands of people. This would've been the 57th annual fair, which means that it was running during the 80's and 90's when violent crime was higher than it is today. I almost wonder if the fair was started in the first place as a means of bringing people safely out onto the street to help change perceptions of the city and the neighborhood.

I was just reading the other day about how the Somali Independence Day celebrations went on without a hitch. They didn't dismiss security concerns, but they responded to them by hiring an outside group of literal peacekeepers to direct traffic and manage security. If they can do it, so could Uptown.

Unfortunately, after seeing what happened with GABA/Grand Old Day, I bet there's something more going on behind the scenes here with the Uptown Association. Public safety concerns are real, but they ring hollow as an explanation for cancelling a street fair.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 7th, 2021, 7:55 am

Why does the "local art community" think the Uptown Art Fair is a laughingstock? What are the issues? What do you mean by the local art community?
Because it's essentially pay to play and the majority of the artists are not from Minnesota. So it does not do a good job of supporting the local arts scene.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 7th, 2021, 8:02 am

Whatever the opinions on the art fair...again with the continued want to deny that there are actually problems with public safety. Well, there are. It isn't "perceived".
There was a movement to boycott the art fair and there would certainly have been protest. Is that "public safety" or is this another example of business "leaders" making excuses that are really bad for business??

ETA: Also, what Alex said.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 7th, 2021, 8:09 am

WELL, policing has proven to be pretty ineffective, so an event where 100s of people put art in flimsy tents and expect it to protected overnight by MPD seems like a bad idea.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 7th, 2021, 8:28 am

I think it was the wrong call to cancel it but I do understand why. MDP usually provides security but given the on going protests and the
very small subgroup of then who seem to more be there more to cause issues then promote a movement I can see why. I could see them either forcing a confrontation with MDP or trashing the space at night.
I wonder if it was to close to the event to look for a third party like the Somali independence day had as thats the logical alternative to hiring MPD and really should be the first choice to begin with.
I do think it would have been good for the local business to have hundreds/thousands of people out and about. Even brining people from other parts of the metro or city would have helped the intersections image a lot. This event could have been a great showcase for some of the really creative local art we saw over the past year on the plywood but as someone said above im not sure how much local art is actually part of this event

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » July 7th, 2021, 11:41 am

WELL, policing has proven to be pretty ineffective, so an event where 100s of people put art in flimsy tents and expect it to protected overnight by MPD seems like a bad idea.
That is a very good point!

dimabima
Block E

Postby dimabima » July 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Stone Arch Festival was really successful from what I've heard. It was packed with people and I didn't hear about any substantial thefts / safety concerns.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm

I think it is more the ongoing issues or fear of them at that intersection then city wide safety issues as there have been several large scale events like this that were without issues

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 8th, 2021, 9:40 am

Saw video from last night of somebody doing donuts in the intersection of Hennepin and Lagoon while firing a gun into the air. The situation is very much not under control.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 8th, 2021, 9:44 am

Is there a precedent for a situation where people are living in such different realities? Whenever I hear people talk about, you know, what’s going on outside, it feels surreal.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 8th, 2021, 10:03 am

Its truly a night and day thing. I walk that area most days and even at night and its pretty normal its just at night maybe once every week or two someone does something like that. MPD has tried to not over police or be overly visible in that area given the on going protests which has welcomed some people to think they can do anything.
Pre covid there was usually a fair amount of police in that area.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 8th, 2021, 12:10 pm

On July 4th I saw on a friend's snapchat story people shooting fireworks off and people doing donuts I think at Lake and Hiawatha. Also playing music and dancing in the streets, it was only missing a big grill and food! Seemed like an enjoyable time. I talked to them afterwards, and the police tried to interfere with those 4th celebrations until people responded with fireworks 😂

It's really not that scary.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » July 8th, 2021, 12:18 pm

The street race/sideshow crews killed two teenage onlookers in separate shootouts just a month ago.