222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Lancestar2

Re: 222

Postby Lancestar2 » June 26th, 2012, 10:43 am

I've always thought this was a pretty good design. I suppose my only quibble would be that I'd prefer to have one of those corner towers right at the intersection of Hennepin and Washington rather than the relatively low-slung grocery entrance -- Make that corner taller than the others, and maybe even add a clock (however, there's already a clock at the Federal Reserve building two blocks south, so it'd be pretty redundant -- well, all clock towers are redundant these days, but I think they're often a nice amenity).
clock towers are almost completely useless and add next to zero added value to society. With that said they are still very enjoyable to look at and do IMO raise the value of a property a great deal. Plus anybody who is to lazy to reach into their pocket and press the power button on their phone and try to view the screen through the sunny day's glare it is a great benefit having a clock tower :D Although having a clock tower on a residential building (even with Whole foods on 1st floor) would look to weird.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » June 26th, 2012, 11:51 am

I'm a bit confused at the enthusiasm for this project. I guess i must be wrong with my disappointment; since it appears I'm the only one that just hates this project. Hopefully it looks better at the end of the day.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 26th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Its fine to be disappointed. I think most are happy that a multistory mixed use building is replacing a dilapidated auto dealership. I guess since I now live on the eastern edge of downtown I feel there is plenty of room for towers.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » June 26th, 2012, 1:34 pm

I'm a bit confused at the enthusiasm for this project. I guess i must be wrong with my disappointment; since it appears I'm the only one that just hates this project. Hopefully it looks better at the end of the day.
I'm a bit disappointed with this project too. I like that downtown will be getting a grocery store, but I don't think a 6-story building is a good fit for that corner. Also, from what I've seen in the proposal, the building looks too bland for the area. Oh well, I guess.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 26th, 2012, 2:09 pm

I'm not convinced this block is a good fit for anything super tall.

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » June 26th, 2012, 2:17 pm

the block would have been ideal for a slender spire of 20 stories with small footprint/pedestal surrounded by lots of green space and trees. that's what should be going up now.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 26th, 2012, 2:25 pm

the block would have been ideal for a slender spire of 20 stories with small footprint/pedestal surrounded by lots of green space and trees. that's what should be going up now.
Actually , I think this would be perfect for the block directly south of 222 towards downtown.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 26th, 2012, 2:43 pm

I'm a bit disappointed with this project too. I like that downtown will be getting a grocery store, but I don't think a 6-story building is a good fit for that corner. Also, from what I've seen in the proposal, the building looks too bland for the area. Oh well, I guess.
Other than the ING Building and the Central library building, everything else in the area is pretty bland IMO. 222 is a major improvement for this area of downtown.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 26th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Other than the ING Building and the Central library building, everything else in the area is pretty bland IMO. 222 is a major improvement for this area of downtown.
What?! But piling on is so much fun! I'd rather have an abandoned car dealership for another decade than let a private developer build a six story building with a grocery store! There isn't a bunch of surface parking literally next to this site, so no one will be able to build any towers in this area ever again if the market demands it!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » June 26th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I'm not convinced this block is a good fit for anything super tall.
I never stated there should be a super tall building there. I was thinking a 10 to 15-story building, which isn't super tall.
Haha. Do you mean something along the lines of this:
Last edited by Unity77 on June 26th, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » June 26th, 2012, 2:59 pm

Come on Elf. No one is saying an empty lot for a million years is better....but i am allowed to be disappointed....which I am. This belongs in St. Louis Park, not in nthe gateway district.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 26th, 2012, 3:09 pm

I think it's a great addition to the Northloop/warehouse district. If it's finished well it'll be a great building that straddles DT and the more residential historic areas. There are plenty of places for towers to come. Right now lets create desirable sustainable realistic neighborhoods. I'm quite excited. If we were looking for tall residential towers I'd rather see them on Hennipen [sic] surface lots around 10th and 11th. and ones in DT east. I think it's nice when the buildings rise up from the river a little more gradually.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 26th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I too would have liked to see taller buildings. But I think most of that is because I remember what was originally planned for that site about 5-6 years ago.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 26th, 2012, 6:00 pm

What?! But piling on is so much fun! I'd rather have an abandoned car dealership for another decade than let a private developer build a six story building with a grocery store! There isn't a bunch of surface parking literally next to this site, so no one will be able to build any towers in this area ever again if the market demands it!
No, the half block directly south on Hennepin is vacant and would be a great site for a high rise. I agree 222 gets rid of a highly visible vacant parking lot downtown, which could take decades longer to get something built on it. It does a great job of defining the eastern edge of the North Loop from downtown. I think the complex will look much better than the rendering of it. If you look at the site plans given to the city , there are many nuances and details in the character of the facade that are not seen in the rendering. They are using high quality materials much more generously than most of the other projects going up. The Whole Foods will be a huge amenity to downtown and make it very desirable to live in the North Loop. What else can we ask for??

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 26th, 2012, 9:54 pm

No, the half block directly south on Hennepin is vacant and would be a great site for a high rise. I agree 222 gets rid of a highly visible vacant parking lot downtown, which could take decades longer to get something built on it. It does a great job of defining the eastern edge of the North Loop from downtown. I think the complex will look much better than the rendering of it. If you look at the site plans given to the city , there are many nuances and details in the character of the facade that are not seen in the rendering. They are using high quality materials much more generously than most of the other projects going up. The Whole Foods will be a huge amenity to downtown and make it very desirable to live in the North Loop. What else can we ask for??
Did you really not get my sarcasm or were you just stepping it up another level?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 26th, 2012, 9:57 pm

What does "this building belongs in St. Louis Park" even mean?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 26th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Did you really not get my sarcasm or were you just stepping it up another level?
I half "got it" about the vacant lot, but the rest went by me. Sorry! You are right , of course there are other opportunities for high rise buildings nearby. 222 will ultimately be a fine addition to the North Loop and will really liven up that stretch of Hennepin.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » June 27th, 2012, 9:08 am

What does "this building belongs in St. Louis Park" even mean?
you're kidding, right? :?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 27th, 2012, 9:41 am

No.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 27th, 2012, 9:58 am

I think Nasa might be referring to the Excelsior and Grand development in STLP, however, that is really a suburban project that was part of the "New Urbanism" movement. Actually, IMO, it is a fairly attractive development that has some qualities that would work well in a more urban environment.