Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
NickP
Target Field

Re: Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board

Postby NickP » May 9th, 2021, 11:26 am

I would request more effort to call it Bde Mka Ska. Not trying to cancel, just stating a desire.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 12th, 2021, 10:00 am

Minneapolis Park board president says he'll bring back Bde Maka Ska pavilion
Minneapolis Park Board President Jono Cowgill vowed to resurrect a $5.1 million proposal to rebuild the Bde Maka Ska pavilion, after it was unexpectedly canceled in committee last week despite a monthslong public engagement process and tens of thousands of dollars spent.

Park Board staff recently presented plans to replace the former site of Lola's on the Lake, which had been one of the park system's most popular attractions before burning down in a $2 million hookah fire in 2019.

The new pavilion would be built in the same spot on the northeast side of the lake with a large vendor hall, all-gender bathroom, performance nook and steps leading into the water. The project had been pitched to seven neighborhood organizations. More than 500 people responded to an online survey.

But the project died in planning committee on May 5 when Commissioner Meg Forney objected to the proposed location.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 12th, 2021, 10:25 am

I would request more effort to call it Bde Mka Ska. Not trying to cancel, just stating a desire.
I don't have any problem with them renaming the lake as I agree it's not appropriate to honor Calhoun here. Just that if you're not from the region. "Bde Mka Ska" could just as well being some mosquito disease as opposed to the name of a geographical feature.

I would have been fine with any of the following:
Lake Mka Ska
Lake Mockaskaw
Loon Lake
White Earth Lake

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 12th, 2021, 10:58 am

The lake has a different name, time to move on.

Rebuilding the old paviion does not preclude moving the sailing infrastructure to another end of the lake in the future.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » May 12th, 2021, 11:00 am

Im still all for moving the sailing school but that shouldnt cause the pavilion to be moved instead.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2021, 11:06 am

Can I just say, we need to replace the entire Park Board this fall. Caveat: Jono Cowgill and Steffanie Musich are good. Chris Meyer too, but he isn't running again. Of those who are running for re-election, Forney is still bad but somehow not the worst. Londell French has been a huge disappointment as well. I'm sure a lot of folks here voted for him last time around, but from my observations he's been on the wrong side of nearly every vote, has a poor attendance record at meetings (I've seen him log on late, just in time for voting after skipping the first hour+ of a meeting, etc.)

I live in District 5, so I'll vote for Musich again, but I'm at a total loss for who to support for at-large. Things have gotten so out of control this past term, Meg Forney might actually crack my Top 3 for at-large, and she sucks.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 12th, 2021, 11:30 am

I have a lot of respect for Meyer, in that I think he has good positions and doesn't get involved in the stupid games that some of them seem to be playing. He's endorsed Tom Olsen for at large, which in the stupidly murky depths of Park Board politics is enough to get my vote.

I'm not convinced that Musich is affirmatively good, in that I don't hear much from or about her, but she's also not affirmatively bad, which I guess counts as good for the Park Board.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » May 12th, 2021, 11:32 am

There are not enough legitimate candidates running for at-large. Who else is there (in addition to Tom Olsen) that could push out Forney/French? Severson in 2 also appears to have no challengers, ugh.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 12th, 2021, 11:57 am

Don't know but I also have to say that it's not hard hard choice to pick French over Forney.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 13th, 2021, 10:22 am

I think it’s kinda funny in its point, which I admit alluding to above, but to be devil’s advocate the visualization seems to be not showing the density of apartments along 32nd and north of the intersection of Lake and Excelsior.

Likely due to the mapping unit size.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » May 23rd, 2021, 11:12 pm

Looks like it will be rebuilt in the same place.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rebui ... ar-AAKchMG

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2021, 7:13 am

Hiawatha Golf Master Plan should have passed tonight, as the vote was 4-2 in favor (French and Severson opposed), with 2 abstentions (Vetaw and Bourn) and one absent (Hassan). However, one of the friendly amendments (by Vetaw) earlier in the discussion was to rename the clubhouse (after Solomon Hughes). It came to light (after the final vote had been taken!!) that MPRB has an existing charter rule that requires 6 affirmative votes (2/3rds) to rename real property. Given that the resolution to approve the master plan now included a renaming of property, that action raised the threshold of passage of the plan as a whole to 6 votes. After spending over an hour on this item tonight, the Park Board simply had to move on to the rest of the agenda.

This turn of events had Brad Bourn’s slimy ass written all over it. The earlier vote on Vetaw’s amendments were unanimous, so it’s pretty clear that those in favor of the plan (Cowgill, Meyer, Forney, and Musich) were not aware that the threshold for passage was backhandedly being increased to 6 votes. They got completely played by Vetaw and Bourn (Vetaw with the amendment, and Bourn clearly knowing about the 6 vote threshold, as he brought it up immediately following the vote).

Any parliamentary procedure experts know who has the authority to bring a motion to reconsider? The prevailing side, or the losing side? The person who made the motion? Are we simply stuck waiting until after the next election now to resolve this matter? Bourn and Vetaw aren’t running, so those abstentions would presumably turn into actual votes one way or the other.
The board will make another attempt at passing the plan on Weds. 7/21. The master plan and the renaming of the clubhouse will be taken as separate votes as to ensure the plan can be passed with a simple majority.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 16th, 2021, 11:15 am

What trick will Bourn pull this time?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

Master Plan fails 4-5.
Ayes: Cowgill, Meyer, Musich, Forney
No: Bourn, French, Severson, Vetaw, Hassan (with the latter two perceived as the swing votes).

After the motion to approve the plan failed, the resolution to rename the clubhouse after Solomon Hughes passed 9-0.

I suspect the plan won't come up again prior to the election. Meyer, Bourn, Severson and Vetaw aren't returning. It's certainly possible that Forney or French won't return if they don't finish in the Top 3 of the at-large vote. Cowgill and Musich are locks. Hassan recently finished a distant 3rd in a special election for a city council seat in the area (different boundaries tho), so maybe he's not popular. I only know his attendance at meetings has been abysmal.

I'm left wondering why they bothered holding another vote. "They" being Cowgill, Meyer and staff leadership. I don't know if Vetaw bluffed that she was going to vote for it, or legitimately changed her mind, I'm not sure. In the past she seemed to signal that she would support the plan with all of the amendments she successfully added back in April. It would seem to me they should have simply tabled the issue until next year, when 3 of the no votes (vs. 1 aye) will be off the board for certain.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » July 21st, 2021, 9:25 pm

Interesting. We're in a significant drought this summer, thus all 18 holes are open to golfers. I'd like to think this vote wasn't influenced by weather instead of climate, but at this point I have no idea what to think about the future of the Hiawatha course.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » July 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600080205/

Londel French quote:

"So many memories. When it's near and dear to Black folks? We need progress. Gotta make the environment OK. Gotta make sure the water is protected. White folks have been screwing up the environment for hundreds of years."

Apparently this is an argument...in favor of keeping an environmentally unsustainable 18 hole design with grossly non-compliant water pumping? Idk, I've given up making any sense of French's votes, his decisions often seem nonsensical.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 22nd, 2021, 9:47 am

So when does the DNR file an injunction regarding pumping?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 22nd, 2021, 10:50 am

I have zero idea what the DNR thinks, but I have to imagine that they will take a dim view of the Park Board rejecting this plan without any kind of replacement. The status quo doesn't seem sustainable and the pumping waiver seems hard to sustain if there is not an exit strategy.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » July 22nd, 2021, 11:31 am

Its a golf course. Its not like they are closing it as a golf course and selling it to a developer to build yuppie apartments its just a re design.