Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Downtown)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Downtown)

Postby seanrichardryan » February 7th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Looks like Hennepin Avenue from Loring Park to the Riverfront will finally get a renovation. I always wondered why the theater district couldn't engage more stakeholders when that renovation was done. If it actually happens, what a difference it will make for downtown's main street. If they can avoid gimmicks and 'place-making' they' might actually create a functional, beautiful & easily maintained street- then we'll have something to be proud of.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 10551.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hennepin Avenue

Postby mamundsen » February 8th, 2013, 10:01 am

Also, I forgot to mention... I hope this means they are re-examining the right lane restriction to Bus, Bike and right turn only. Currently NO ONE follows that rule. Traffic on Hennepin and 1st have been horrible since the changes a few years ago.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 8th, 2013, 10:10 am

No one follows that rule but me you mean ! The first week they changed it I was unaware it was a turn lane and got a 120 dollar ticket. I wonder why they stopped enforcing this? They need better signage for sure, too.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 8th, 2013, 11:52 am

i like that proposal for an outdoor concert venue on that vacant half block next to cowles.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 8th, 2013, 12:04 pm

While most of the development has yet to begin, a glimmer of what's to come quietly moved into a long-vacant small space in the former Witt Mitchell building at 7th Street and Hennepin two weeks ago. A prototype of a concept dubbed "Made Here" features art made by Minnesota artists, and Block E's owner has agreed to host similar efforts in that troubled property. The improvements will be a gradual process, Hoch said.
This is in the long-vacant store front between the old Chevy’s space and Barfly. I took a few pictures a couple weeks ago. I don’t think it will be a game changer, but it can’t hurt. Subtle improvements could help to make a walk down Hennepin more interesting.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 8th, 2013, 12:36 pm

That chair is fantastic.
Towns!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 8th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Disappointing that the artists that led this project lived up to their stereotype of clueless dreamers. The plan sucks, not because of its recommendations, which are mostly good although a bit too much open space for me (I for one will fight against parks in the missing teeth on the blocks between 7th & 9th). Actually, some of their recommendations are great and I'm already enjoying the temporary storefront on Hennepin south of 7th. But there is almost no realistic consideration of how the recommendations would be put into place and perpetuated. I have no doubt that they will organize (and I look forward to) events along Hennepin while the people who did this plan are still charged up about it, and maybe the organization they're creating will manage to keep itself alive and advocate for itself when people in other areas commission expensive plans to declare themselves a cultural district. But the infrastructure stuff seems really divorced from reality. People have been saying for decades that there needs to be more parks downtown, but no one has managed to come up with a way to fund and build them (Peavey excluded). There's a reason the streetscapes are dull and focused on cars: city policy requires it. This plan doesn't even consider this type of institutional change that would be necessary to pull off its recommendations, so it's destined to end up dusty in the library stacks like the last 5 plans to revitalize Hennepin.
"Who rescued whom!"

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 8th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Looking at the various renderings at http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/190396381.html and I have to ask, where the hell is the fourth one supposed to be? I like it, but I'm not sure Minneapolis is ready for palm trees. The minute we plant them, I'm sure we'll have some "sapphire palm borer" infestation or something.

But in all honesty, I kinda like the idea of painting "Hennepin Avenue" on the street in huge letters, ala Google Maps.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 8th, 2013, 12:50 pm

um... what is that huge spire tower thing doing in the middle of Hennepin???

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

It wasn't clear from the article. Is this actually funded, or is the news simply that the group designed to come up with a plan now has the plan?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 8th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Looking at the various renderings at http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/190396381.html and I have to ask, where the hell is the fourth one supposed to be?
I can't figure it out either, and not just because of the palm trees. There are no streams like that anywhere near Hennepin Ave.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 8th, 2013, 1:00 pm

None of this is funded, nor did the plan have a plan for coming up with funding. They do have a plan to get the city to recognize them as the official nebulous organization of the cultural district, which will primarily be in charge of lightpole banners. Apparently the DID had no objections, as they got this recognition at the city council meeting today (I presume).
"Who rescued whom!"

eluko
Metrodome

Postby eluko » February 8th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Do they really plan on removing those connecting arches from the top of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge? It might just be lazy animation but I think it looks kinda cool. It fits better with the surrounding architecture at least.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 8th, 2013, 2:14 pm

I tend to agree with redisciple's criticism. Along with my own more expensive plans = more work for expensive consultants criticism.

I'm incredibly skeptical of the idea that the missing teeth need to be parks. Just because a proposed park looks good in watercolor doesn't mean we should take it off the property tax rolls. I don't know about 2020, but in 2013 those parks would not be an asset, they'd become a liability.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » February 8th, 2013, 2:15 pm

The renderings in the Strib all come from the plan located here: http://metrisarts.com/wp-content/upload ... report.pdf

Other related docs are found at that website (http://metrisarts.com/recent/#Hennepin).

The strange palm tree rendering threw me off too, though it is supposed to be an example of a pedestrian land bridge, which was suggested to span I-94 between Loring Park and the Sculpture Garden.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 8th, 2013, 4:29 pm

The "missing teeth" on Hennepin Ave need to be filled with high density multi-use development. There needs to be a larger critical mass of people living, working , playing, and lodging along the Ave. That's what will create more energy and activity around the clock and make the area safer. Having large amounts of green space in the heart of the entertainment district will create yet another magnet for criminal activity, and it will be expensive to maintain. And, as previously stated, we need need more tax base which high density development would create.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » February 9th, 2013, 10:30 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 10th, 2013, 4:31 pm

James Lileks wrote a piece with a couple of suggestions for the "iconic art installation". I don't like the Doughboy idea, but I'd be willing to do whatever it takes to make the three-story Nerf Wall a reality. :D

http://www.startribune.com/local/190539181.html?refer=y
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » February 10th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I know it sounds corny but I really like those way finding signs that have the distances to all the other cities in the world and what direction they're in. That'd be cool to see somewhere on Hennepin, and it'd be cheap. Maybe you could just do Minnesota cities or something to make it more unique. Also what happened to the walk of "fame" they were doing?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » February 10th, 2013, 11:29 pm

As always - I am supportive of any improvements to the streetscape and urban environment, but sometimes I think Minneapolis city leaders have way too many ideas going on and with no direction. Wish they would stick to one idea and follow through. Look at all the different names we're getting for the same areas of downtown - Warehouse District/Entertainment District/North Loop (ok - somewhat different areas), but Hennepin Avenue/Theater District/MN Walk of Fame/Cultural Walk, etc. come on already.

And as usual - no funding lined up, but of course, spent tons of money on yet another study. Studies are good, but action is better!