394 Corridor Office Market

Twin Cities Suburbs
go4guy
Foshay Tower

394 Corridor Office Market

Postby go4guy » January 31st, 2013, 9:33 pm

Interesting article in the Strib today about the low vacancy rates in office buildings along 394 between 100 and 494. With what this article is suggesting, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke start planning another tower at West End. Also nice to see so much talked about the importance of The West End.

http://www.startribune.com/business/189269121.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: 394 Corridor

Postby mattaudio » January 31st, 2013, 10:22 pm

Wondering how expensive a LRT spur would be via BNSF ROW to the West End... then from there it could slowly get extended westward.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 1st, 2013, 10:07 am

Wondering how expensive a LRT spur would be via BNSF ROW to the West End... then from there it could slowly get extended westward.
I think this is a great idea, but curious as to where it would go. I can see following the Cedar Lake Trail to the West End area, but after that how would you get it going more directly west? After West End, that trail goes to far south and would be too close to SWLRT

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 1st, 2013, 2:42 pm

From the article:
St. Louis Park community development director Kevin Locke said the city has encouraged public transit by reconfiguring some streets in the West End area.
Someone has an inflated sense of self-worth - those streets are a mess if you're in a car, they're intolerable if you're not. I dare you to try and figure out what the 9 bus does there. Or was he talking about connecting 16th St to the Hwy 100 underpass, which may actually straighten things out slightly someday.
I think this is a great idea, but curious as to where it would go. I can see following the Cedar Lake Trail to the West End area, but after that how would you get it going more directly west?
I'd say Laurel Ave is the most obvious candidate, the tricky thing is getting it back into the I-394 right of way around Louisiana presumably. My fantasy is to stick it right through the golf course and adjacent neighborhood so the LRT can be routed right through General Mills and Shelard Park, but that would only be feasible in a political environment where... LRT in the 394 corridor is viable.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 8th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Given that 394 was built with buses in mind and also goes directly to Wayzata, I'm not sure why you'd want/need the LRT spur to go any further west than West End. We could also do something really smart and build a Transit Center at the West End LRT Station, keeping a few more buses out of the downtown core.

I like what that could do for people commuting TO West End for work. Take LRT or Express Bus into downtown and a quick transfer out to West End on this LRT spur. It wouldn't require a PhD in Transit Planning like the Route 9 does out here.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Yep, agree. I don't see the point of LRT beyond West End, at least until there's crushing capacity for buses on the freeway and more jobs in the corridor. Although I would like to see more concentrated nodes of development along the corridor rather than the existing mishmash.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm

It wouldn't require a PhD in Transit Planning like the Route 9 does out here.
I literally got lost on the 9 like three hours ago! Damn Google Maps said it was going to turn on Cedar Lake Road...false.

But overall WRT the spur/transit center idea, do you really think a three seat ride (car to park and ride, bus to transit center, train to Downtown) would sound appealing to most folks? Especially wealthy West Metro commuters?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » February 8th, 2013, 3:40 pm

The 394 corridor is probably 3rd best in the Metro in terms of destination density, but needs a ton of work obviously to make it transitable (i.e. sidewalks, less digressive streets).
"Who rescued whom!"

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 26th, 2013, 9:19 am

There's something being built north of 394 on the frontage road, across from Ridgedate Mall. I didn't pay attention to it assuming it was another chain store/office complex, but from the window spacing it looks almost residential (or a hotel, at least). Anyone know what it is, or am I going to have to exit the freeway myself and look?

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » February 26th, 2013, 9:33 am

I saw that over the weekend as well. It looks very apartment-y - I think it may be this project: http://finance-commerce.com/2012/02/mor ... innetonka/
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » May 12th, 2013, 8:22 am

Sunset Ridge is looming large over Ridgedale now.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 12th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Yeah, it feels uncomfortably close to the highway.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.