800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Postby xandrex » February 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm

I don't know what the correct mix for a ground floor in a spot like this is, and it certainly seems like we have plenty of empty commercial space around here. But, like others, I wonder the appeal of townhomes here - there's no privacy to speak of given that these aren't elevated at all. On other busy streets, I've seen these units sit empty or they have their blinds closed all the time. I'm not sure that's any better for "eyes on the street" and the appearance of activity than a blank wall. Convertability is probably the only option to get the space filled (and making revenue) in the near futures while still allowing the expansion of commercial space later.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: 800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Postby Tyler » February 7th, 2022, 12:59 pm

it certainly seems like we have plenty of empty commercial space around here.
Really? The ironclad/moxy corner. Anything else?
Towns!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 7th, 2022, 2:08 pm

I think ground floor adaptation should be far more important than decreeing a use. It’s okay for me for townhomes now if it’s adaptable to future commercial use.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 7th, 2022, 2:37 pm

If you look at the packet, it appears that all of the townhouse units are lifted up three steps above adjacent sidewalk grade, so that would make a future conversion much more difficult. Presumably, the reason they're doing that is to make the little patios that nobody actually uses separated from the public realm.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 7th, 2022, 2:41 pm

I was speaking more citywide, where there's plenty of empty spaces. Though, as you note, the area nearby is actually pretty well filled in.

The original proposal had something like 7 commercial spaces - I remember thinking the developer was really approaching this aggressively and with confidence in Minneapolis! It doesn't feel like the newest designs reflect that same line of thinking.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » February 7th, 2022, 10:43 pm

I was speaking more citywide, where there's plenty of empty spaces. Though, as you note, the area nearby is actually pretty well filled in.

The original proposal had something like 7 commercial spaces - I remember thinking the developer was really approaching this aggressively and with confidence in Minneapolis! It doesn't feel like the newest designs reflect that same line of thinking.
I agree-- I think this proposal not particularly ambitious in an area that could definitely use some ambition. I feel like there's quite a bit of demand for commercial activity here that isn't being met (potentially because the retail spaces are too expensive for most businesses). When family and friends come into town, I always bring them to Mill City/Stone Arch Bridge area, and we always find ourselves wishing we could have a nice lunch nearby, but there are so few options.

Relatedly, much of the 2000s/early 2010s-era development that occurred in this area is uninspired at best (the lofts that line 2nd avenue) and unsightly at worst (Aloft). I think this proposal and recent developments such as (240 Park, Ironclad, and the Trader Joe's building) are, collectively, a distinct step up from those early Mill District developments in terms of architecture, density, and providing commercial activity and affordable units. However, with the vacant parcels in this neighborhood quickly being built on, I think we could really use proposals with more ambition. I'd also love to see Washington be put on a road diet.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 8th, 2022, 7:34 am

I think putting Washington Ave on a road diet would be the best thing to ever happen to this neighborhood. I haven't been down there in many years during rush hour, but is it even that bad? I have been down there during the day, and it is very quiet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 8th, 2022, 9:29 am

My understanding is that the current plan is to rebuild the portion from 5th Ave to 35W to more or less match the design from Hennepin to 5th (hopefully with bike lane/intersection designs more like the new ones on Hennepin than the existing ones on Washington. I seem to remember being told that would happen in the early 2020s, but I can't find anything about it on the county website, so I don't know what's up. I think the traffic volumes are low enough for a road diet to be feasible, but in this case I'd rather see the two through lanes stay, and then when the H Line comes through we can just paint them red and be ready to go.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 8th, 2022, 1:09 pm

If you look at the packet, it appears that all of the townhouse units are lifted up three steps above adjacent sidewalk grade, so that would make a future conversion much more difficult.
It it remotely likely owner occupied condos are going to convert to commercial anyways? I mean, that sounds like a total long shot to me. In an apartment building, sure...
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 8th, 2022, 2:16 pm

You're probably right, but there are a lot of ways to structure ownership in a project like this, especially if this conversion were part of a long term plan (and there's certainly no indication this is the plan). For example, all of the groundfloor could be rentals while the rest of the building could be condos. There are also some things that could be built into the condo documents up front (for example, explicitly making live-work units an allowed use for those units).

I guess my point is that rather than the city requiring commercial uses in these projects, there are some smart things that they *could* be requiring that would allow future flexibility.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 24th, 2022, 9:36 pm

Coming back yet again with a new design. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... lding.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 25th, 2022, 8:08 am

Just an absolute dreary rendering.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 25th, 2022, 10:29 am

I love bronze/grey palette, idk what you're talking about, we don't have enough of it downtown.

/s

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 25th, 2022, 10:55 am

I’m not a big fan of the gray color schemes. I agree with Grant, there’s too much of that downtown already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 26th, 2022, 8:24 am

This is the same design as February, right?
Towns!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2022, 9:59 am

Glad it is bigger, and includes affordable units, but my god it's so ugly. lol Image

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 26th, 2022, 10:01 am

CPED land sale for this project moving along -https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 26th, 2022, 1:39 pm

You know what, I don’t hate it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 26th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Dolphin Staffing building vibes?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » May 26th, 2022, 2:40 pm

It kind of reminds me of a boxier version of the new city public service center building. Quality and type of materials will make all the difference.