Orange Line / 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown Project

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Orange Line / 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown Project

Postby DanPatchToget » February 25th, 2022, 11:34 am

I know bus availability can be an issue, especially with a small fleet dedicated entirely to one route/service, but it's still disappointing when non-aBRT/BRT buses are being used on aBRT or BRT routes. My sister said she saw a "regular" bus on the Orange Line yesterday, but I don't know if it was a standard Metro Transit bus or an aBRT bus. On the bright side she also said it was full as it was heading south from Lake Street.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 25th, 2022, 12:45 pm

I know bus availability can be an issue, especially with a small fleet dedicated entirely to one route/service, but it's still disappointing when non-aBRT/BRT buses are being used on aBRT or BRT routes. My sister said she saw a "regular" bus on the Orange Line yesterday, but I don't know if it was a standard Metro Transit bus or an aBRT bus. On the bright side she also said it was full as it was heading south from Lake Street.
I think that will become less of an issue as more BRT routes come on board in the system, but yeah both the C and Orange line every now and then I see a regular bus on them.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 27th, 2022, 1:41 pm

I was looking at the map for the orange line and I was wondering if anyone knew why they didn't or couldn't even now add stations on the on and off ramps at diamond lake road. Seems like it would server a large population to add a station there.
Diamond lake did have a stop but just like the 46 weekend service it was upgraded out of existence.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9036461 ... 2?hl=en-GB

I guess if you live in the area the speedy 18 is your best bet.
Well that was used for the 554 express bus pre-covid, the Orange Line was never planned to stop there.
I was half joking about the cuts but they are listed in the Orange line FAQ.

https://www.metrotransit.org/orange-line-faqs

Speaking of Diamond lake road. Why don't we have a bus on this road? Maybe connect VA to Southdale? Run on 54th east of 35 and 58th on the west. 46th to 66th is a little over 2 and a half miles without an east west route.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 10th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Today was the first time I took the orange line. Why on earth does this bus not connect to the Burnsville trans station?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » March 10th, 2022, 3:16 pm

Simple, because of angry MVTA noises.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 10th, 2022, 3:23 pm

Honestly MVTA is the reason, but the Heart of the City Station is so better placed for getting off and walking to your destination.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 10th, 2022, 6:25 pm

It would be a pretty short distance to get across 5 lanes of traffic between Diamond Lake Road and the 46th Street station.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 10th, 2022, 6:27 pm

I was talking to one of the drivers on the orange line today. He indicated that it would be extremely difficult to get off at diamond Lake Road because of how congested that exit usually is.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 10th, 2022, 7:29 pm

Honestly MVTA is the reason, but the Heart of the City Station is so better placed for getting off and walking to your destination.

Maybe if they can get all of the routes (that don't go on 35w north) to connect to Heart of the City. It would be able to have the best of both worlds.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Looking on Google Maps, the only MVTA routes at Burnsville TS that don't go on 35W are the 444, 495, and Orange Link. The Orange Link stops at the Orange Line's Heart of the City Station, and the 444 has a stop that's only a minute walk from the Heart of the City Station. I'm pretty sure there used to be one or two other local routes at Burnsville TS, but they were discontinued I'm guessing because of the pandemic as well as MVTA's demand-response service Connect being more economical than fixed-route service.

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » March 10th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Speaking of the 495, does it stop at the new lake street station? I have been a bit worried it'll be like the ceder grove station where MVTA buses aren't able to use the new platforms for some reason.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 10th, 2022, 11:13 pm

Speaking of the 495, does it stop at the new lake street station? I have been a bit worried it'll be like the ceder grove station where MVTA buses aren't able to use the new platforms for some reason.
495 doesn’t go downtown, it serves MOA, Burnsville Transit Station, Amazon, and Mystic Lake.

I think you are thinking the 460/465, and yes they do. All express routes that use 35W can access Lake St Station. MVTA does route the UMN trips that skip downtown not to use the station due to constraints with moving over to exit.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » March 11th, 2022, 12:29 am

Does Metro Transit not allow MVTA use of the center island at Cedar Grove? Is Metro Transit playing MVTA's game now?

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » March 31st, 2022, 9:10 pm

Does Metro Transit not allow MVTA use of the center island at Cedar Grove? Is Metro Transit playing MVTA's game now?
It was that way from day one of the on line station platform opening in 2017. I remember visiting it shortly after it opened and there were/are signs for non-RED express routes, as well as a separate bay, but those were taped over pending access privileges. I guess MVTA only got gate sensors at the time for the RED line Novas and nothing else?

ImageCedar Grove Station by J. Mc., on Flickr
ImageCedar Grove Station by J. Mc., on Flickr

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 3rd, 2022, 11:55 pm

Did MVTA not want to use that island or did Metro transit shut them out? It is a long way around to pick up passengers by the parking lot. Makes me wonder who cast the first stone in this little squabble.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 2nd, 2022, 6:15 pm

Would be interesting to see how local connecting routes are performing in terms of ridership with the Orange Line. Today I used the 547 after dropping off my bike by Valley West to get repaired, and there was one other person waiting at the stop (interestingly, he said it was his first time in America). He got off at a townhouse complex near the Masonic Home, and a person boarded in the business park area on Hampshire south of Old Shakopee. While waiting for the westbound bus I noticed an eastbound 547 with a bike on the front rack, perhaps someone coming from Quality Bike Products. This is all anecdotal of course, but at least it looks like the 547 is getting a little bit of use. If I needed to get to the Orange Line daily however, I'm not sure I'd use the 547 often, since it would be a half mile walk to the nearest bus stop that's on the car sewer known as Old Shakopee Road, and based on the bus schedule I could get to 98th Street Station faster by biking.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » May 30th, 2022, 1:54 am

Since I see no marq2 topic I guess I'll post here. Why isn't marq2 bus lanes painted red? I would think a little paint might be able to signal to people those lanes are for buses.

And as long as I'm posting in the Orange line tread. I wonder how much demand an extension to the north along 35w would generate. It would be nice to have a little BRT along Washington Ave. Maybe end it at Blaine park and ride?

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 30th, 2022, 8:02 am

The FHWA only granted interim approval for red paint on bus lanes in December 2019. Probably marq2 hasn't needed repainting since then.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » May 31st, 2022, 12:03 am

I wonder if would make a difference anyway. I've seen plenty of people driving on the red lanes on 7th. And I don't believe MPD does traffic enforcement.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 31st, 2022, 8:37 am

Yes it would make a difference. The red paint is quite effective, IMO.
Towns!